Scottish lad on train is forcefully removed for not having correct train ticket

JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
Forum Member
✭✭
was the situation mishandled? was that assault by the member of the public for throwing the kid out of the train or was he in the right? he did get a round of applause but were they right or wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKKADFIEX84&feature=related

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    It was right but there was no assault on that video. He was simply removed forcefully from the train.

The guy who didn't have the correct ticket was a cheeky, selfish chancing little shite and personally i would have done the same.

He deserved a bloody hard slap.
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah but does that man have any legal authority to forcefully remove him?
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »

I doubt it, but hey, they can all sit there for an hour while they wait for the Transport Police to show up and deal with it, delaying the trains behind and inconveniencing thousands of people, or one man can be brave enough to sling the little scrote off.
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Well, legally it's an assault and battery, 'use of unlawful force' and the police would be obliged to charge him if the guy made a complaint.

That's not to say I wouldn't have done the same or joined in with the applause had I been there.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

I'm not sure there has to be anything legal with it at all.

He was being a cheeky little upstart with absolutely no regard to the people on the train. Had someone not have stood up to the cheeky little rat, they would have been delayed till the police arrived which might have taken a good while.

Point is, hes another little prick who thinks he can get away with everything. This time he was put right in his place and may have a bit more respect for people now.

High time people in this country manned up to arseholes like that.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    No sympathy for the fare-dodger at all.

If you want to try and dodge paying then go for it but at least have the decency to accept it when you get rumbled and get off.

Smarmy little prick.

Incidentally, I read a comment on YT about the tickets being issued wrongly.
    This is bollocks because even if two tickets were issued with the stations the wrong way around it'd still say "Ticket type: RETURN" rather than "SINGLE".
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Conductor or Inspector can use reasonable force to remove a person from the train.

I would expect reasonable force to be reactionary to the resistance applied. The man (who is suspected of being Police or a bouncer) seems to have used the force required to remove the youth.(But would be up to the court to decide)

Whether or not an authorized person (The conductor) can request assistance (thereby granting authority) to carry out this duty would be for a court to decide, possibly as a test case.

I am reminded where citizens have helped tackle fleeing suspects for the police to detain. They are generally not prosecuted that I have seen.

Section 17.1 (or 18.1 as applicable) & Section 24.2(ii)
    http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/legislation/regs/railwaysbyelaws.pdf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    This is bollocks because even if two tickets were issued with the stations the wrong way around it'd still say "Ticket type: RETURN" rather than "SINGLE".

If the single was issued in reverse by mistake then it would still say "Single".

However, this is most unlikely since reverse journeys would almost always need to be manually input. At some point during the transaction you would say "Wait, what the heck am I doing?"

As an aside, the video is awesome! :D
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did the big guy try to push the ticket inspector off as well..
  • Sapphire SunSapphire Sun Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    was the situation mishandled? was that assault by the member of the public for throwing the kid out of the train or was he in the right? he did get a round of applause but were they right or wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKKADFIEX84&feature=related

Perfectly acceptable when dealing with foul mouthed chavvy scum like that little nae nuts nob, there were kids on that train yet he still continued to be aggressive and swear like a navvy on crack.

Well done to the big man, if i see that guy i'll buy him a well deserved pint or five.:D
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    Aww lol thrown out into the cold dark night
    You cant help but feel a lil sorry for him :p
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what time that was but the youth looks to be around 13/14 ish.

Is it particularly wise to throw young people off the train in the dead of night, potentially miles away from anywhere?

Not justifying the abusive behaviour but surely the thing to have done would be to have rung ahead at the station where he was going to, get them to contact his home and take payment that way or at least arrange somewhere for the fare to be billed to.

As opposed to just throwing him off the train at what could have been the middle of the night, possibly a hundred miles away from home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According the notes he was 19. Of course that cant be verified but I dont think he looks 14/15 at all.

According to the dialog and notes (assuming they are accurate) it was 5 miles from his home station.

It would be ~5 minuets running time to the next station. It is legal to expel someone from the railway it is not legal to detain them. BTP would never be there in time so at his stop he can just walk off scot free.

--edit--

Actually watching again I can see the station sign which confirms it was 5 miles away.

Also I dont think those subs are accurate at all.

Here is the video without the suggestions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgBxygQDud8&feature=related
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polmont railway station is located on the Edinburgh to Glasgow railway line and is rougly 1/2 way between Edinburgh and Glasgow { 20 miles to Glasgow } so if this joker was on the Edinburgh to Perth then he had to have the wrong ticket but lets say he was on the Edinburgh to Glasgow line.

Being brought up in Glasgow I must say that I am suprised that only one person came forward.

Just like many videos we dont see what is missing so perhaps the inspector had offered to take his name and address { and seeing the attitude of the boy I would expect he would refuse }

As the notes mention the joker was ' one stop away ' from his stop he is hardly being tossed out in a area he does not know - pick a station and you would at least know the next stop { in both directions }

Glasgow Queen Street ( Buchanan St) - Croy - Falkirk High - Polmont - Linlithgow - Haymarket - Edinburgh Waverley.

If he refused to pay for the ticket then its right to toss him off and I though the big guy was very restrained.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Well it was an instant punishment that fitted the crime and better than a citizens arrest. Well done to the passenger who made the fare dodger get off the train.
    Well done also to the person who filmed it for evidence so that the little shite can't try to claim assault.
  • EyeOfTheStormEyeOfTheStorm Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good I cant stand those stupid hats anyway.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But even so I don't see why it was more important to inconvenience the other passengers. I mean, I'm sure they'd have supported the idea that nobody should travel for free when they've paid themselves but equally the threat of the guard that unless he got off the train wouldn't move, seemed....I don't know...bizarre?

A train full of people who paid good money to get somewhere on time, yet one person is trying to cheat the system and the whole train and every passenger on it, suffers?

If I was a passenger and we didn't have a 'have a go hero', who I think refers to himself as 'the big man' in the clip (or someone else does) then I'd be peeved if I was late for an appointment or missed a connection or something, on the principle that the rail company hadn't got the required £11.30 from a single passenger.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I ever take a train in Scotland I'm making sure I have the right ticket. :eek:

I love their lingo - throw the bawbag off, big man. :D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It's a pity this doesn't happen to all scummy fare dodgers. He got exactly what he deserved. Well done 'Big Man'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't like to be tossed off in the mean streets of Glasgow.
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually feel sorry for him. Train ticket prices are ridiculous and seriously paying £20 for a return is not worth it.
    If the person in question (the "faredodger") was a problem then the conductor should have called on relevant staff from the train company to handle the situation or invite the transport police if possible. There is a procedure in place and it should be followed.
    It is quite uncalled for to get a member of the public on a train to grab the "fare dodger" and throw him. It was cruel.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm reminded of that Jeep bomb crashing into Glasgow Airport and everyone piling in to give the bombers a good kicking :D

The reaction was quite justified and using an appropriate level of force. Why should a trainload of people (and all those on trains behind) have to sit there all night because that turd's parents never gave him boundaries and any respect for others?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a little worried by the use of the word S******* in the thread title....

Is it relevant? Does it add anything of import to the OP? Would we have been misled in some way if the shocking word had been omitted?

Or is it merely (shock horror) racist?

Suppose he'd been black....or gay....or, worse, welsh...what would the thread title have been then?

Without constant vigilance, racial labels like this will cause society to crumble, and we'll end up with all the scots in one country, and all the english in another. And who would want that?
  • debailey72debailey72 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    It's a pity this doesn't happen to all scummy fare dodgers. He got exactly what he deserved. Well done 'Big Man'.
    Quoted for truth.
    There should more 'Big man' down here in London.
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I'm a little worried by the use of the word S******* in the thread title....

Is it relevant? Does it add anything of import to the OP? Would we have been misled in some way if the shocking word had been omitted?

Or is it merely (shock horror) racist?

Suppose he'd been black....or gay....or, worse, welsh...what would the thread title have been then?

Without constant vigilance, racial labels like this will cause society to crumble, and we'll end up with all the scots in one country, and all the english in another. And who would want that?

I am not Scottish myself. I totally understand your point. Would the OP use "English" instead of "Scottish" if the lad in question was English? I think not.
    Does "Scottish" add anything?
This discussion has been closed.