Cameron and food banks

Comments

• Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    The main reason is that they have just made a claim for benefits and are waiting for it to be processed.
    I think it reasonable for the DWP to check eligibility before doling out taxpayers money.
    Other reasons are that some just simply don't budget properly

Let people starve because of Bureaucracy, how very Stalinist of you.
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Let people starve because of Bureaucracy, how very Stalinist of you.

Well they're not starving, are they ?
    They are being given food to tide them over.
    What's the problem?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    Well they're not starving, are they ?
    They are being given food to tide them over.
    What's the problem?

But what if folk did not contribute to the food banks?
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    But what if folk did not contribute to the food banks?

Then we would have an increase in crisis loans, which would have to be paid back by the claimant.
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does the Government actually contribute towards a foodbank.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twogunthom wrote: »

Nothing as far as I know, it is a 'charity'...
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    So your thread isn't about food banks at all. It is just another opportunity to say spiteful things about Cameron.

A PM who celebrates as a good thing food banks in Britain in the year 2013 is deserving of spiteful comments.

When our grandparents voted in massive numbers for the implementation of the Beveridge Report at the 1945 General Election it was in the hope future generations wouldn't have to know such degradation of the poor.
  • katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Yea right you apologise for him. What other conlusion would you draw for the increased need for food banks?
    not enough soup kitchens.. people have always run out of food when they dont have enough money, or have spent it on other things. food banks are a new bonus.
    edit . in reply to the person who mentioned grandparents. yes. those are the people who made a pot of porridge every day for breakfast. a good wholesome cheap meal. they made big pots of stew too. so did my mum. she made a pot of stew which fed us all for 3 days. that two adults and four kids. why doesnt anyone do that today? no. they buy takeaways and ready meals. its no wonder people run out of money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    such degradation of the poor.

Cameron seems to enjoy and celebrate the degradation of the poor and the disabled.

He only cares for people of his class, and he said when campaigning, before he became PM, it's not where he came from, but where he is going to. But he has demonstrated that where he came from totally rules his brain.

His policies are all dictated by his own background, Eton, Oxford, Parliament, PM. What does he know of poor people ?
    Their struggles ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Getting a bit fed up with all the deflection by the mental mob. It's the same shite every day. I'll give the members on the left their due, they seem like real people, and their DS content doesn't look like spambot's in action.

Honestly, if i said i stubbed my toe this morning, some numpty would jump in and blame Labour. :rolleyes:
    we've listened to lefties blaming mrs thatcher for everything for 30 years. they are still doing it and will continue to do it even though shes dead. yet one little moan about labour and the moans start.
  • Rupert RigsbyRupert Rigsby Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    katywil wrote: »
    in reply to the person who mentioned grandparents. yes. those are the people who made a pot of porridge every day for breakfast. a good wholesome cheap meal. they made big pots of stew too. so did my mum. she made a pot of stew which fed us all for 3 days. that two adults and four kids. why doesnt anyone do that today? no. they buy takeaways and ready meals. its no wonder people run out of money.

You do make a good point there, I see many people in the supermarket with their trolley full of ready meals and cheesestrings, branded yoghurts and cereal bars etc which are over priced for what they are,

I'm self employed and my income has severely reduced in recent months and i'm living off savings at the moment so we've really tightened our belts, I don't want to sign on and would rather do a bit of work here and there than drag myself to the job centre but that's another story.

There's only two of us so I understand it won't be this easy for people with kids but we've set a budget of £15 for all evening meals for the entire week and we plan all the meals and look to prepare meals which use many of the same ingredients in a week and we live well.

It is however shocking to hear that in 2013 we have people who have so little money they cannot afford to eat, I do think there is a lack of education when it comes to budgeting and food education which is part of the problem, I believe this issue is all down to the schools.

When my dad was young the boys were taught gardening (learning to grow veg), The girls learned how to sow (Making do and mend) and cookery.

When I was at school we were taught cross stitching and the only thing I made in food technology was a bloody pizza!

Schools are so obsessed with pupils going to uni the basic life skills are being forgotten!

I was in a supermarket and a young couple were at the ready made sandwiches fridge and they were buying sandwiches for the whole week "His work packup" £2.50 per day on a sandwich!! Buy a loaf and some sandwich filler £2.50 for a week.
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    In the supermarket complex where I shop, there is a McDonalds with a drive in facility and I notice that at about 9.30 in the the morning there is a queue of cars. I can only conclude that they are buying breakfast :eek:
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in reply to the person who mentioned grandparents. yes. those are the people who made a pot of porridge every day for breakfast. a good wholesome cheap meal. they made big pots of stew too. so did my mum. she made a pot of stew which fed us all for 3 days. that two adults and four kids. why doesnt anyone do that today? no. they buy takeaways and ready meals. its no wonder people run out of money.

They do, lots of people still eat porridge, you'll find it in every single shop for sale. Quaker oats is a huge brand, and not that cheap either.

Horse stew is popular too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do make a good point there, I see many people in the supermarket with their trolley full of ready meals and cheesestrings, branded yoghurts and cereal bars etc which are over priced for what they are,

I'm self employed and my income has severely reduced in recent months and i'm living off savings at the moment so we've really tightened our belts, I don't want to sign on and would rather do a bit of work here and there than drag myself to the job centre but that's another story.

There's only two of us so I understand it won't be this easy for people with kids but we've set a budget of £15 for all evening meals for the entire week and we plan all the meals and look to prepare meals which use many of the same ingredients in a week and we live well.

It is however shocking to hear that in 2013 we have people who have so little money they cannot afford to eat, I do think there is a lack of education when it comes to budgeting and food education which is part of the problem, I believe this issue is all down to the schools.

When my dad was young the boys were taught gardening (learning to grow veg), The girls learned how to sow (Making do and mend) and cookery.

When I was at school we were taught cross stitching and the only thing I made in food technology was a bloody pizza!

Schools are so obsessed with pupils going to uni the basic life skills are being forgotten!

I was in a supermarket and a young couple were at the ready made sandwiches fridge and they were buying sandwiches for the whole week "His work packup" £2.50 per day on a sandwich!! Buy a loaf and some sandwich filler £2.50 for a week.

i worked with a woman who bought sausage rolls etc every day from the food van.when we were talking about healthy foods she said she couldnt afford to buy fruit and veg.. at the same time she was munching through a big bag of sweets which were clearly priced at 99p a bag. how much is a pound of carrots? 60 pence. i think its a lot to do with education as you said. no one knows how to cook .
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    i worked with a woman who bought sausage rolls etc every day from the food van.when we were talking about healthy foods she said she couldnt afford to buy fruit and veg.. at the same time she was munching through a big bag of sweets which were clearly priced at 99p a bag. how much is a pound of carrots? 60 pence. i think its a lot to do with education as you said. no one knows how to cook .

You just don't get the same sugar rush from a carrot :D
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    not enough soup kitchens.. people have always run out of food when they dont have enough money, or have spent it on other things. food banks are a new bonus.
    edit . in reply to the person who mentioned grandparents. yes. those are the people who made a pot of porridge every day for breakfast. a good wholesome cheap meal. they made big pots of stew too. so did my mum. she made a pot of stew which fed us all for 3 days. that two adults and four kids. why doesnt anyone do that today? no. they buy takeaways and ready meals. its no wonder people run out of money.

And people are running out of money because of the cost of living is high, energy prices, are one of the worse, even a lot of working people are using food banks. The more people have to cut back on things the more the unemployment, grows
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    And people are running out of money because of the cost of living is high, energy prices, are one of the worse, even a lot of working people are using food banks. The more people have to cut back on things the more the unemployment, grows

The less money we spend the less goes back to the exchequer. Austerity on it's own was a foolish policy. It's a pity Labour couldn't have waited until they knew how this was going to turn out before they opened their gobs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jassi wrote: »
    You just don't get the same sugar rush from a carrot :D

no thats right. you dont get much of a rush from food banks either after the money is all gone on sweets and takeaways. :)
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    no thats right. you dont get much of a rush from food banks either after the money is all gone on sweets and takeaways. :)

And how do you know this is were people money is going,
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any need for food banks in this country and their growing need simply highlights the failure of government.

There will always be people who cant manage money properly and/or have addictions that they put before the wellbeing of themselves and there offspring - if some people on benefits NEED food banks why wouldnt most people on benefits need them if they are getting similar amounts of handouts from the tax payer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well to be honest - somewhere along the line - some Tory entrepreneur will get a hold of foodbanks and make a money-making venture of it. No wonder Cameron is getting his endorsement of them in early.
    petertard wrote: »
    The next sell-off - privatise the food banks.

They are already private and very well 'connected'. I've posted the links before but it's very much part of private welfare ideology. See Shaftesbury Partnership for more information about that.

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/mel-kelly/well-trousered-philanthropists-tory-party-chums-and-food-parcels-for-poor

http://www.shaftesburypartnership.org/history
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Customers and tax payers money via councils in the form of 'donations'.

(Links posted before about councils handing over large sums to the Trussell Trust.)
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This country's not in the state its in because a Mother buys her kid a Mars Bar you crazy lunatics, its because greedy fat b******s can never get a big enough slice of the pie. What next for the children of this country a carrat washed down with a big spoonfull of codliver oil for breakfast.
  • UnforgivenUnforgiven Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    BiB, looking at the front benches of the three main parties I would say that none of them have any real idea of what it's like to be poor. Added to that is a large growing number of them that have ate, drank and slept politics from such a young age that they don't have much experience of the world outside their political bubble.

I wonder why you start a thread accusing only one party of being like that when, IMHO they're all like that.

Please, please tell me what BiB means? Me n the other half are playing a guessing game here! :D
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This country's not in the state its in because a Mother buys her kid a Mars Bar you crazy lunatics, its because greedy fat b******s can never get a big enough slice of the pie. What next for the children of this country a carrat washed down with a big spoonfull of codliver oil for breakfast.

Oi! Don't give them ideas.