Cameron and food banks

12346»

Comments

• swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Nobody is going to starve. That is the point I was making before, if you are truly starving you will buy food. You just need to see some of those pictures of the poor in other countries rummaging through rubbish tips looking for anything to eat. They are starving, they aren't looking for booze or ****.

The system was working fine before and I'm not aware of masses of people on benefits starving in the past because they chose to spend all their money on anything other than food.

This all really comes from the false propaganda that people on benefits live a life of luxury and spend all their money on drink and tobacco. It's shameful that so many intelligent people seem to fall for it every time.

The system before was to issue crisis loans that had to be paid back & the claimant had to go to collect a giro cheque from DWP, which had to be cashed in a post office, where they might not want the cashier or other customers knowing about their need for a crisis loan.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    swaydog wrote: »
    The system before was to issue crisis loans that had to be paid back & the claimant had to go to collect a giro cheque from DWP, which had to be cashed in a post office, where they might not want the cashier or other customers knowing about their need for a crisis loan.

but it was not just crisis loans that giro cheque were used for, my cold weather payment only this year were put into my bank, A post office is not the same as a supermarket thousands of benefit claimants still use the post office to get there benefits using the post office card
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    That is because you can produce no facts to back up your beliefs. Some figures would be nice. Otherwise it just seems, to me and to others, that you are just following the right wing agenda of demonising the poor. You brought it up , so you back it up with some facts.

i did. i posted a bbc link. and i quoted the relevant section from that link. if you don't like the facts from that link, then complain to the BBC.

tim59 wrote: »
    Strange how now schools use a credit card system that is the same even if your on free school means, no one stands out at all.

technology does move forward you know.
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    You would think that they are trying not to stigmatise people

or taking advantage of modern technology.
    razorboy wrote: »
    Are you speaking from experience? if not how do you know what it feels like to the recipients, have you ever seriously discussed it with them or been involved in helping at a food bank?

i have no experience of using food banks, yet i have shopped in charity shops many times. i have never felt shame, embarrassment or felt i was stigmatised.

i have given food in the past to the church for harvest festival. and we give clothes and books on regular occasions to the local charity shops.

i have never helped out at a food bank, as there are none around our area. therefore i have never spoken to someone who uses a foodbank, but i will bet you any amount of money you like that not everyone who does use them feels shame or embarrassment or feels stigmatised. to do so would be a huge generalisation.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only the Tories could see the rise of food banks as being a good thing!
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    Only the Tories could see the rise of food banks as being a good thing!

conservatives together evil forever
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Britons ‘Most Obese in Europe’

http://tbgweightloss.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/poor-britons-most-obese-in-europe/

Im not seeing much evidence of "starving families" when I walk past mcdonalds and see the ground floor packed with prams.

And before anyone tries to claim the poor are forced to eat cheap high calorie foods - water or milk is far cheaper than fizzy drinks, fruit is cheaper than crisps or chocolate or something from greggs and cooking simple meals are usually cheaper than ready meals and certainly cheaper than takeaways. These are the foods I see going in mums trolleys and being given to there kids.

And dont get me started on smoking..
    Forum Member
    iamsofired wrote: »

http://tbgweightloss.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/poor-britons-most-obese-in-europe/

Im not seeing much evidence of "starving families" when I walk past mcdonalds and see the ground floor packed with prams.

And before anyone tries to claim the poor are forced to eat cheap high calorie foods - water or milk is far cheaper than fizzy drinks, fruit is cheaper than crisps or chocolate or something from greggs and cooking simple meals are usually cheaper than ready meals and certainly cheaper than takeaways. These are the foods I see going in mums trolleys and being given to there kids.

ready meals are cheaper than buying fresh food. On friday I got three of them for £2.65 1 wes 60p orher 66,p 3rd was 99 p
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    ready meals are cheaper than buying fresh food. On friday I got three of them for £2.65 1 wes 60p orher 66,p 3rd was 99 p

No, they're not.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    iamsofired wrote: »

So you would be happy that mcdonalds goes bust and throw thousands of more on the unemployment list, strange people who want to see more people unemployed
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    No, they're not.

You are so wrong . I could not get three days dinners. For £2.65 if I buy fresh food.
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i did. i posted a bbc link. and i quoted the relevant section from that link. if you don't like the facts from that link, then complain to the BBC.

technology does move forward you know.

or taking advantage of modern technology.

i have no experience of using food banks, yet i have shopped in charity shops many times. i have never felt shame, embarrassment or felt i was stigmatised.

i have given food in the past to the church for harvest festival. and we give clothes and books on regular occasions to the local charity shops.

i have never helped out at a food bank, as there are none around our area. therefore i have never spoken to someone who uses a foodbank, but i will bet you any amount of money you like that not everyone who does use them feels shame or embarrassment or feels stigmatised. to do so would be a huge generalisation.

You quoted a piece on rent arrears and not on starving people
    spending their money on, and I quote " booze and ****" . Then you claim people are not stigmatised when , by your opinions, you are stigmatising people as feckless individuals spending their money on **** and booze, an assertion that you seem to be unable to back up with figures. And because of that , unsubstantiated view, you wish to control people on what they can buy and where they can buy it. As I said it smacks of control freakery, to be polite
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member

Maybe, but are they fit for human consumption ?:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are so wrong . I could not get three days dinners. For £2.65 if I buy fresh food.

No I'm not, you are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nonsense, go to Tesco and do a costing exercise, can you cook?
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    No I'm not, you are.

Do noy say I am wrong when its you who is worng. As you can get ready meals below a pound.cheaper than buying fresh food.i buy cheap tesco food so I can have sky.