[Game] The X Factor: Mix It Up! (series 2) Live Show #1

Comments

• unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Youngerman: Nick, this was okay, I didn't think that it was anything special, I feel like it was just a rather average rap song. I loved your performance last week because it felt that the tone of the artist's voice fitted yours well and the rapping seemed meaningful but this just felt like any old rap song being given to you. I feel like this makes your rapping seem like more of a gimmick than everything as you're just being given a rather average, generic rap track. I don't think it was particularly stand out and I didn't really like the song itself, it was okay but in the future, I would like songs more in the style of Hoodie Allen than this artist.

Good Question:
    Hey girls, I was really intrigued to see where your mentor wished to take you two and I have to say that this was a great song choice for you. When I saw Natalia Kills, I had a feeling it would be this song as it allows your harmonies to come through brilliantly and I think that the whole feel of the song allows for a very entertaining stage performance. Although relatively predictable and safe, I think that it was a really good song choice, I think the dynamic between Joelle and Kristina is something very special and I must admit that the lack of raps didn't worry me because not every performance that you give is neccesarily going to include rap and when the vocals are this good, I'm not concerned.
  • jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    Good Question

I am not even going to deny I had trouble finding a one worded song which had female vocals and female rapping so I decided to go with the brilliant Natalia Kills! I wanted to kind of show off more of Kristina’s vocal ability whilst also staying true to her rapping skills and the group as a whole. The song allows you both shine vocally and also with your performing skills again! Although I came across this by accident I think this was a fantastic performance and just was the group and what you’re all about so brilliant girls!
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Question

I think this theme was actually very limited for Good Question but regardless of that, I thought this performance was excellent. I understand how some people will see this song choice as being a little safe, but who cares? This is an amazing song and suits the group incredibly well. Yes, this will certainly be one of my favourite performances of the night, I’m sure of it. Also, Natalia Kills sounds rather like Neon Hitch in this song. Well done, girls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Question

I am glad that Jack recognized that both of you can sing so that we can get a full range of performances from you. Natalia Kills is an amazing artist, and "Wonderland" is among one of her best efforts. I think the song fits you two perfectly! I can totally see the sing-rap thing happening, and I think that the song allows you to play off of each other really well. I still am befuddled as to how you didn't make the live shows on your actual X Factor season, and now I'm just happy you're here in the capable hands of Jack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally, a full house off great comments. Well done to Jack and Good Question! However, they will still need the public's support to avoid the bottom 3 tonight!

The second of the over 25s is ready to perform. Zak mentioned that this act was a risky pick, so I guess we'll now see whether that risk paid off or not. It's
    Nicola Marie singing Home by BYentl.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XnmkK4W-lA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola

Vocally, I can see this working for you. Otherwise, however, I think this song was a bit dated. I liked the direction of last show, but I also think that Zak needs to not give you diva song after diva song. This, to me, was a bit adult contemporary when you are so much more than that. I think you can do fun things, you can have a big performance, you can sing a song that doesn't sound like a dated ballad. This wasn't a horrid choice by any stretch - as I mentioned, you sounded great. Otherwise, however, I'm a bit upset with this performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola Marie

I have a feeling this song choice will divide the panel and I thoroughly understand why. The song itself isn’t actually that brilliant, however it does undeniably suit Nicola’s tone and singing style perfectly. I personally loved the performance and will try to find much better songs – that still suit your voice for the next show! Well done, Nicola!
    Forum Member
    Nicola Marie

Too put it simply I really liked this Nicola. The tone of the singer was literally fantastic for you and although the singers were a tad too soulful for you I think this song was just brilliant for you and reminded me so much of your cover of Believe (which your mentor showed me ages ago) and I think this was just a great performance by you and was a great improvement on last week so all I can say is bravo Nicola!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola Marie: Hey Nicola, I really liked the theatrics of your last performance, I thought the atmosphere of the song was extremely well suited to your performance style. This performance was, in my opinion, a little bit of a step back. I don't think that the vocals were overly well suited to you, for me, this is more something for a mature diva like Brenda Edwards, I personally think that you have a slightly quirkier tone than full on soul and I wasn't a massive fan of the song, I thought it was very middle of the road adult contemporary music, it was nothing special and again, I'm not sure that I'm likely to remember this performance in a few hours, it was quite forgettable, I could see the slightly huskiness of the singer's voice suiting you but I just wasn't bowled over by the song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yet again Zak correctly predicted that the panel would be divided by this performance. A mixed bag of comments for Nicola, will that be enough to secure her one of those 10 spots in the next live show?

It's time to head back over to the girls again. She was her mentor's free pass act, and her mentor Kevin seems so convinced of her talent that he decided to take her through despite the criticism she got earlier in the competition. Today she'll be singing Wonder by Lauren Aquilina, it's Sarah Watson!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x2VD7QtNwI
  • jag02010jag02010 Posts: 7,347
    Forum Member
    Hi there everyone! I'll be here from this point on. If for some reason it takes me a bit to post my comments, you can go ahead an post mine to keep the show going EoS. But I can start posting now :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah Watson

Well, this song is far and away the best choice of the girls’ category tonight. I thought it was a lovely song choice, which may be perceived as ‘dull’ by people who aren’t into the calm (songs you would listen to on a boat – something Aliyah would describe it as), and albeit, it was a little dull even to me. However, it was still a great song choice. It’s astonishing how you can go from the weakest girl in your category to the strongest with one song choice. Well done, Sarah.
    Forum Member
    Sarah Watson

This was much better than last week Sarah as last week it was too bubblegum pop but this was a lot more suited to you. It reminded me a lot of your first audition where you allowed your emotion to just overtake you and just do a great emotional song. It was slightly boring but nothing I can like majorly complain about but overall I think this was much better than last week so bravo to you tonight Sarah.

brb gotta at :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Watson: This was absolutely gorgeous Sarah. I know people were concerned when I took you through but at the end of the day, I feel that your tone and your vulnerability as a performer is something that nobody else in my category can offer. I went for this song because I knew that you would nail it, it's an absolutely beautiful song and you have quite a cutesy stage persona so I feel like you would nail the emotion of the song. Even Lauren's intonation reminds me of your intonation in the original audition, I feel a lot of passion for you as a performer because you're the one that really stood out to me in auditions and I thought that this was a gorgeous performance, you really need to be here next week because you are just getting better and better as the competition goes on, well done Sarah.
    Forum Member
    Sarah

An act I, once again, didn't have much expectations for out shined some of the other "front runners" who have performed before her. I think this was a magical moment with a song that's perfect for your voice. I loved the tone of the song and I think it melded with the qualities of your voice perfectly. I think you're fighting an uphill battle with some of the judges - I might be easier to sway, because I love your style and energy and type of music, but some of the others might have a hard time accepting this. My advice for you is to change it up and take risks - while this was beautiful, it was a bit safe and boring at parts. Don't be afraid to be young and have fun!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jag02010 wrote: »
    Hi there everyone! I'll be here from this point on. If for some reason it takes me a bit to post my comments, you can go ahead an post mine to keep the show going EoS. But I can start posting now :)

Hi Justin, I'll make sure to post your comments whenever you take too long to do it yourself. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some very nice comments for Sarah there, especially considering the treatment some judges have given her in the past. However, were the public as mesmerized by this performance as the judges?

Act number 8 of tonight's show will be another one from Justin's boys category. He was also among those that got mediocre comments last show, so let's see what the judges think of Ethan Boroian singing Anastasia by A Silent Film.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-zB6AwYuf8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethan Boroian

Ethan! I have to say, this song choice was much, much better than what I had expected. First of all, it’s a good song itself; and more importantly, it suits you incredible well. I think with song choices like this, you will do very well in the competition and I’m looking forward to what your mentor has in store for you. Well done, Ethan.
    Forum Member
    Ethan

Ethan, I absolutely loved that performance. I think the song is tailor made for your voice and the direction I want to take you on - it's different enough to be unique and not bland, but still "generic" enough vocally to allow your voice to modify it and make it your own. I felt a passion and a fire from that performance that I hope we can feel with some of your other vocals later on in the series. To put it frankly, this was one of my favorites thus far, and I think we are looking at someone who could go a long long way!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethan Boroian: This was a lot better than last week Ethan. I was quite surprised to see you being chosen for the live shows but you did a good job with this song so I can see where Justin was coming from in picking you. The problem with you Ethan is that you have been mentored so many times before and in so many different rotues that it's often difficult to envisage you performing the songs because we've seen you singing so many different styles of music. However, the slightly husky tone to the singer's voice was perfect for you Ethan and I really enjoyed this song, I would have perhaps liked something that went somewhere as this song did kind of just get to one point and stay there but there's no denying that it was a really good performance, well done Ethan!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack can catch up once he gets back. For now, great comments for Ethan. It remains to be seen how well he will fare in the public vote though.

It's time for the last of the groups of tonight's show. They've had their song changed not long before the show, but their mentor Jack seems sure that everyone is going to love hearing
    Princes & Rogues sing Somebody by Jukebox The Ghost!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U6exHZVbQE
    All: I want it, I need it, I want somebody
    I want it, I need it, I want your eyes to turn
    I need it, I want it, I want somebody, baby

Ashley: Now this is my turn
    I don’t want any more doors
    Cause I’m walking on the string
    They only slam anymore
    Like we’re pulling out teeth
    And I could just see her eyes
    Just above his shoulder

Ashley and Jonny: And you were scanning the skies for me
    I dreamt like you were some long-forgotten soldier
    Like I was someone that you cared for

Ashley: I want it, I need it

Now this is my turn

All: (Oooweeeoooh’s)

Jonny: I don’t want any more heartbreak
    I’m tired of the sound it makes
    Like trying to shut out the dark at night
    You close your eyes but it won’t erase
    And you were walking beside
    Some other person’s shadow

Ashley and Jonny: And it was more than I could take
    I wouldn’t see what I couldn’t know
    That there might be somebody after me

Jonny: Ohhh I want it I need it

Now this is my turn

David: I need that new vacation
    Where nothing that’s spoken is known
    Let the winter be my station
    I’ll let the cold teach me what to know
    That there might be somebody after me

Jonny: Ohhh I want it (HUH), I need it (YOO)
    I want it (OHH)
    I want it, I need it

Now this is my turn

Forum Member
    Ethan Boroian

I really enjoyed this for you Ethan (even though I was going to use A Silent Film for Princes and Rogues! :p). This was just really good performance from you and both showed your range, great vocals and just the song in general was really infectious and made me want to just smile and jump around for some reason. I think this was one of the strongest performances so far in the show tonight and I reckon you and Justin are just a general match made in heaven. I think the performance was really good and it was just a great performance so bravo to Ethan.

Princes and Rogues

MY BOYS! Literally as soon as I found this song I just knew it had to be chosen for you as not only is it quirky, unique and strong vocally the song just has an amazing vibe to it that makes you want to smile, dance and just do something! The harmonies of the song were really suited to you and I reckon that right now you guys and I are just really a match made in heaven in terms of me loving quirky music and you guys basically being a quirky act so yeah we’re perfect for each other. This was an amazing performance and I just loved it so bravo boys!
    Forum Member
    P&R

I think it's interesting that you followed Ethan, as I feel that if there are two acts that will be splitting votes this season, it's you two. I think that this was a high energy and great vocal performance from you guys! I loved the song - Jack knows what he wants to do with you - and I think that you're in very capable hands. My only worry is that you'll deliver too many performances like this, so I'd like to see a risk or two thrown in there. That being said, this was a very strong first showing for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Princes & Rogues

So last week I insisted that Jack didn’t take you through to the live shows; however, this song choice does show that you are more than welcome of a place here – especially after some of the performances tonight. I thought the vocals were great and the chorus had an excellent place for harmonies, which were used to their full advantage. It was a very good song choice, well done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Princes & Rogues: Guys, this was the best performance from your category tonight in my opinion. I really liked this song for you, I thought that the dynamic between you as a group lended itself really well for this song, that sort of strange indie vibe is exactly what you are all about and I thought that it was a pretty spot on song to offer that. I don't think it was mind blowing but it was a really solid performance that will easily get you through to the next round, I think you guys are the dark horses of the competition, if you keep delivering solid performances like this then I see no reason why you can't go very far in the competition, all the best for the voting but I don't see you having any trouble picking up enough votes to get you through to next week!