Options

Question About Netflix

scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
Forum Member
A friend of mine has TiVo and is interested in the Netflix service on there but he doesn't have internet but I've told him I could setup an email address for him. I think he just wants the 30 day trail tbh but would he be able to cancel via his TiVo when his trail is up or would he have to do it via a computer?

Comments

• Options
    TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't cancel from the TiVo but I think what you can do instead is cancel your friend's membership as soon as signing up, so your friend wouldn't have to do anything himself to prevent getting charged after the trial period. I've mentioned this before but this is a nice setup VM have done for those wanting Netflix without the need of internet.
  • Options
    Chris JamesChris James Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technix wrote: »
    You can't cancel from the TiVo but I think what you can do instead is cancel your friend's membership as soon as signing up, so your friend wouldn't have to do anything himself to prevent getting charged after the trial period. I've mentioned this before but this is a nice setup VM have done for those wanting Netflix without the need of internet.

That is correct.
    1 Sign up on the web page using an email address, password and credit card. Click on the free month trial. Once they are satisfied you haven't had a free trial before they will email you within seconds to tell you that you have a free month's trial.
    2 Log back in and cancel. The web site will tell you subscription will not be renewed after the following date (one month ahead).
    3 Open the Tivo app (or Channel 204) and sign in with email and password. Tivo will remember these details and you will not have to sign in again (unless you want to watch Netflix on another device).
    4 The Tivo uses its own internal broadband for the streaming and it will begin with a basic picture. As it realises it has a decent broadband speed, picture gets better. Max pic quality is Super HD (1080p) - if you want to see the progress of the better picture press INFO on remote.
    5. Finally if you do want to sign out of Netflix (maybe to watch a film at another home) then once it has opened with the film choice menu, ignore what happens on the screen as you press keys on your remote that takes you to the log off page: UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT,LEFT,RIGHT,UP,UP,UP,UP.
    Hop all this helps :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bit of a problem.

Been my mates today and he's signed up without a valid email address. He just typed any email in and then just entered his bank details and Netflix excepted it!!!

I gather they will take payment as the email address doesn't even exist?
  • Options
    Chris JamesChris James Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a problem.

Been my mates today and he's signed up without a valid email address. He just typed any email in and then just entered his bank details and Netflix excepted it!!!

I gather they will take payment as the email address doesn't even exist?

Why is that a problem? If he didn't want to join, why did he give his bank details? Was this a month's trial he signed up for? If so, he really needs the phoney email address to cancel it but he'll still get a free month. If he can't remember the email address he will have to phone them to cancel. Seems odd behaviour especially as there are sites which allow you to use a temp email address for an hour or so.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He doesn't have a computer he just typed in loads of numbers and letters and then @yahoo.com and said that netflix excepted the email address so he carried on and put his bank details in. I've since told him he will have to ring them if he wants to cancel.
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Considering you need the email address to log into a device as it's the username, a bit of a problem if he can't remember it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't have a computer he just typed in loads of numbers and letters and then @yahoo.com and said that netflix excepted the email address so he carried on and put his bank details in. I've since told him he will have to ring them if he wants to cancel.

What a donkey.
  • Options
    Jez_GafysJez_Gafys Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't bother if I was you, netflix on the tivo box is the slowest pile of sh*te version of the netflix app on any hardware ever made. Low end 30 quid android tablets can load the interface and start an actual stream around a week before the tivo box even presents you with your profile selection!
  • Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jez_Gafys wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother if I was you, netflix on the tivo box is the slowest pile of sh*te version of the netflix app on any hardware ever made. Low end 30 quid android tablets can load the interface and start an actual stream around a week before the tivo box even presents you with your profile selection!
    H'mmm, maybe there's something wrong with your box.

TIVO takes about a minute to load fully, but once you are in, everything's fine.

If this is not what is happening for you Jez, I'd call Customer Services. It's either a box or a signal problem in my opinion.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you need to get your box replaced because it is excellent on my Tivo box. It only takes about 10 seconds to give me full HD on a stream and loads quickly. It also gives you Dolby Digital 5.1 sound as well. So it is certainly worth it.
  • Options
    woolybullywoolybully Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I've heard about people having US accounts for Netflix. How is this done?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woolybully wrote: »

The accounts are not geographically locked down. So your account can access any netflix server regardless of location.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You have to use either a US VPN or a DNS server which has been edited to reroute netflix lookups (google netflix dns)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you need to get your box replaced because it is excellent on my Tivo box. It only takes about 10 seconds to give me full HD on a stream and loads quickly. It also gives you Dolby Digital 5.1 sound as well. So it is certainly worth it.

you must be one of those magic people with a different box to the rest

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Netflix-on-TiVo-is-USELESS/td-p/2084658/page/4

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Youtubue-and-Netflix-slow-to-load-after-Tivo-update/td-p/2067322

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Netflix-App-slow/td-p/2078758/page/2

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/33695520-tivo-update-netflix-page-53.html
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the rest? They are a few small examples and in a couple of those threads other people are saying that Netflix works alright for them.

Yes, a few people complaining on a forum where people come to complain doesn't mean there is a generic problem affecting everyone.
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree totally! The worst ever experience using netflix is with the TiVo.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

www.unblock-us.com/
  • Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree totally! The worst ever experience using netflix is with the TiVo.
    Well, you too should consider reporting this to VM. Don't just put up with a problem like this, you must report it or it will never sort itself out on its own!

We are using Netflix a lot and we do not have the kind of problems that some are reporting on here.
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    Well, you too should consider reporting this to VM. Don't just put up with a problem like this, you must report it or it will never sort itself out on its own!

We are using Netflix a lot and we do not have the kind of problems that some are reporting on here.

I have a Cisco box, to be fair the whole thing is naff. It's slow slow slow.

Contract is up on the 10th of April and its due to switch off on that date. Can't wait.
  • Options
    seasidedazseasidedaz Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    what i find a put off, is you can't set up a different profile on the virgin tivo like other device's. and on our box it take's so long to come on i ended my subscription slow was not the word.if you could set up different profile i could not find it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To the rest? They are a few small examples and in a couple of those threads other people are saying that Netflix works alright for them.

I wasn't exactly going to find a million different posts on every user that has issues. In my living room I can access netflix via my tv, tivo, wii or xbox (from the devices connected to my tv) out of all them the tivo is deffo the slowest. Starting a program isn't really the issue it's the actual loading. It takes an age to present you with profiles and then a further age to show you the media catalogue after that. Out of all of them the xbox is the fastest logging in and doing on the above much faster. This isn't down to network performance it is purely the speed of the processor in the tivo is quite pants really.
    seasidedaz wrote: »
    what i find a put off, is you can't set up a different profile on the virgin tivo like other device's. and on our box it take's so long to come on i ended my subscription slow was not the word.if you could set up different profile i could not find it.

I get the profile selection I'm sure, but yeah it's the slowness of initially loading thats a put off. P.S it's not just netflix youtube and spotify are just as bad.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We just signed up to Virgin and the Tivo box is a confusing piece of kit. But I am gradually picking it up.

However, Netflix on it is awful. Very hard to get to like. Takes forever to set up and to load and when it does it keeps buffering and pausing and never playing more than a few seconds before I just give up.

My box was set up by Virgin only 10 days ago and I have not been able to watch more than 30 seconds of anything on Netflix before I have to get on with my life.

It is badly letting the side down for my impressions of Virgin as a newbie.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    We just signed up to Virgin and the Tivo box is a confusing piece of kit. But I am gradually picking it up.

However, Netflix on it is awful. Very hard to get to like. Takes forever to set up and to load and when it does it keeps buffering and pausing and never playing more than a few seconds before I just give up.

My box was set up by Virgin only 10 days ago and I have not been able to watch more than 30 seconds of anything on Netflix before I have to get on with my life.

It is badly letting the side down for my impressions of Virgin as a newbie.

Netflix works fine for me

by the way, netflix on tivo uses its own 10 meg internet. I'd get virgin to check the line and area first
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Netflix works fine for me

by the way, netflix on tivo uses its own 10 meg internet. I'd get virgin to check the line and area first

same here

I use Netflix via the TiVo a lot and only had the very occasional issue with it