latest Banksy piece removed

gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
Forum Member
The latest Banksy piece has been removed by a club next door to be sold to save the club from closure! What do people think? Art, vandalism, finders keepers?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-27033079

Comments

• Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    The latest Banksy piece has been removed by a club next door to be sold to save the club from closure! What do people think? Art, vandalism, finders keepers?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-27033079
    "banksy" is a vandal, who vandalises peoples property, at some point someone decided to pay good money for some of his work, now he is a brand, and everyone selling for £££.

But the bottom line is, he is a vandal, and whatever he paints on buildings is owned by whoevers building it was painted on.
  • gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I think 'vandal' is a bit strong.. some graffiti can be really nice. The piece was pinned on to the wall, so he didn't really damage any property. I say good on the club for being so resourceful!
  • Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 'vandal' is a bit strong.. some graffiti can be really nice. The piece was pinned on to the wall, so he didn't really damage any property. I say good on the club for being so resourceful!

They stole it :D
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All graffitti is vandalism.I personally can't stand it.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I like how the notice says you are "free" to look at it but you'll have to pay to do so.

Either way, I much prefer the new one in Cheltenham that popped up the other day around a phone box. It's really quite a clever effort.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-27021675
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I like how the notice says you are "free" to look at it but you'll have to pay to do so.

Either way, I much prefer the new one in Cheltenham that popped up the other day around a phone box. It's really quite a clever effort.

Reminds me of the time i was in a laundrette, and man was kicking off at the woman working there as he wanted the £4 back he paid for his wash, as the instructions said "please deposit 4x£1 coins", he was arguing that a deposit was returnable, so he wanted it back, the woman told him to "**** off", and continued reading her book.:D
    Forum Member

See that's really cool, I like that!
    Forum Member
    Sargeant80 wrote: »
    They stole it :D

Can you steal 'vandalism'? Surely they have done society a favour by 'cleaning' it up? And the club gets saved at the same time! Win win all round!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    See that's really cool, I like that!

Great isn't it! :D
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you steal 'vandalism'? Surely they have done society a favour by 'cleaning' it up? And the club gets saved at the same time! Win win all round!

Is that why the Club is now calming ownership?
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »
    Is that why the Club is now calming ownership?

No, they aren't hiding the fact at all that they have taken it to sell! No one owns it so finders keepers!
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they aren't hiding the fact at all that they have taken it to sell! No one owns it so finders keepers!

Can't see Banish suing though the Law says different about finder's keepers.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His stuff is awful but if it can raise money for a good cause then great.
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some of Banksy's "work" makes interesting statements, like the One Nation Under CCTV thing, but I also think defacing public and private properly is completely wrong so I'm glad they've removed this latest piece.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I don't really see art as vandalism, tbh.

If it's just writing, or gang names, fair enough. But Banksy's pieces actually have some meaning, and the more art we have the better in this corporate controlled white washed world.

My problem now is people profiting from his art. Art should be free for all.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably that bit of wood in the wall was owned by someone - the club could be in for a bit of trouble considering how much Banksy's work goes for.

Its a shame in a way that Banksy's work is so often damaged, but then it is ethereal in its nature - removing it from its "natural" environment could be seen as vandalism itself.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some of Banksy's "work" makes interesting statements, like the One Nation Under CCTV thing, but I also think defacing public and private properly is completely wrong so I'm glad they've removed this latest piece.

I suppose it depends on if you like his work or not - ignoring the monetary value I'd still be happy to have a Banksy on my wall if he fancies daubing somewhere in Nottingham:)
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I have no time for graffiti per se, Banksy's work is very clever and it is a shame people's greed has taken over what is a public statement; often very wittily put but a biting social comment.

The Boys Club were on local TV last night and it seems they basically stole the piece, as the wood it was on was attached to a wall but the wall wasn't owned by The Boys Club! They seem to think that selling it to "save" The Boys Club makes it perfectly OK to take such actions!

I went to the Banksy exhibition @ Bristol Museum in 2009 and it was brilliant, much of it was both very. clever and very funny.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't give a crap how worthy this guy's cause is, he stole a Banksy, pure and simple. Banksy painted a piece in public for public display and it's been stolen. If Banksy had wanted to donate a piece to this guy's youth club, he could have. He didn't.
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    I don't give a crap how worthy this guy's cause is, he stole a Banksy, pure and simple. Banksy painted a piece in public for public display and it's been stolen. If Banksy had wanted to donate a piece to this guy's youth club, he could have. He didn't.

How can you steal graffiti? It's just mess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    How can you steal graffiti? It's just mess.

Whether you personally like it has no bearing on whether it's capable of being stolen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The struggling youth club are asking for donations to see it. It was on wood, not a nearby wall... (Which could have easily been used... So why wasn't the wall used?) Makes sense to me - it's not like a pub found it and are trying to turn a profit. They are trying to keep a youth club open that helps kids who would otherwise be out stealing and spraying graffiti :)

Those who are all its free art and has been stolen should get over themselves and think of the good the piece is now doing. The fact bankys art is a social commentry and peoples selfish attitude towards it being stolen - speaks volumes :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pac_girl wrote: »
    The struggling youth club are asking for donations to see it. It was on wood, not a nearby wall... (Which could have easily been used... So why wasn't the wall used?) Makes sense to me - it's not like a pub found it and are trying to turn a profit. They are trying to keep a youth club open that helps kids who would otherwise be out stealing and spraying graffiti :)

Those who are all its free art and has been stolen should get over themselves and think of the good the piece is now doing. The fact bankys art is a social commentry and peoples selfish attitude towards it being stolen - speaks volumes :(

If Banksy wanted to donate to this guy's club, he could have. This is just theft, no matter how you dress it up.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact is someone would have stolen it sooner or later, his work on walls have been stolen (and later sold) by removing the plaster so a removable piece of wood wasn't going to last long.

They got there first, that's all can can be said.

It's no good saying "it should have been left for everyone to enjoy" because that's just bloody naive, such a view only works if everyone else in the work feels the same. You may as well claim that everyone in the country should put their wages in a big pot and everyone could then take out what they needed when they needed and only as much as they needed. That isn't the world we live in.

I figure there are worse people in the world who could have ended up with the money...that investment fund manager could have taken a day off from dodging the BR fare in order to crowbar it off for example. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    If Banksy wanted to donate to this guy's club, he could have. This is just theft, no matter how you dress it up.

You think Banksy should have created a piece and framed it and left it with a bow and a note? It's not his style.

He never paints on wood, he never paints on anything removable - so why now, when there was a perfectly good wall nearby. If someone thinks they own the wood/door and challenges the club, fair enough - but all this 'it's free, it's for the public' outrage is nonsense, if it was on someone's front gate... It would be on eBay in minutes.