Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last Christmas Live+7: 9.62m
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Last Christmas Live+7: 9.62m

Shockingly low. I expect series 9 to be the last before another 'hiatus' awaiting the next RTD to come along.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shockingly low. I expect series 9 to be the last before another 'hiatus' awaiting the next RTD to come along.

Yeah blimey. It's terrible isn't it! It was only one of the most watched programs at Christmas.

And then an RTD reference as well to add a bit of extra spice.

We should turn this into a game of forum bingo. It would make it more fun and the constant regurgitation of the same stuff less embarassing.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Normally, I would take such statements like this as satire on the doommongers of the show, but knowing this fandom, you can't take anything for granted as satire or not. xD
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally, I would take such statements like this as satire on the doommongers of the show, but knowing this fandom, you can't take anything for granted as satire or not. xD

I was so unsure. Its difficult isn't it!.ordinarily you would just assume satire and laugh but like you say...some of the things fans come out with have gone beyond parody so it's hard to tell.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really. Even I watched it on Catch Up the next day. Christmas Day is quite busy for those of us with lives.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One can only hope.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    Not really. Even I watched it on Catch Up the next day. Christmas Day is quite busy for those of us with lives.

Is it? I thought after Christmas dinner most people watch TV. What else is there to do? OK, maybe play games. But Christmas Day is surely the top rated TV day of the year.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it? I thought after Christmas dinner most people watch TV. What else is there to do? OK, maybe play games. But Christmas Day is surely the top rated TV day of the year.

I'm just bitter because I had to a thousand people to visit and literally didn't have time to watch it live. And then I was forced through Mrs. Browns Boys. Christmas was traumatic for me :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas Day 2014 did very poorly. Seems more people WERE spending their time away from the TV :p The most timeshifted week of television on record!

But no, 9.62m does not herald the show being removed from our schedules because the showrunner has failed.... and as we all should know, being Ratings Thread visitors, the last series did very well.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Christmas Day 2014 did very poorly. Seems more people WERE spending their time away from the TV :p The most timeshifted week of television on record! But no, 9.62m does not herald the show being removed from our schedules because the showrunner has failed.... and as we all should know, being Ratings Thread visitors, the last series did very well.

I think it would have been an issue if all of BBC1's Christmas Night shows had scored massive overnights apart from Doctor Who. But in the end it was all much of a muchness and Doctor Who was right up there with the rest, as usual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BARB's Project Dovetail is still coming: http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2015/02/09/whats-next-for-project-dovetail/
    ( I also went ahead and ranted with that DWTV article, I wasn't expecting to see it published today. Time to see if I can take the heat. http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/say-something-nice-internet-fandom-71827.htm )
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BARB's Project Dovetail is still coming: http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2015/02/09/whats-next-for-project-dovetail/
    ( I also went ahead and ranted with that DWTV article, I wasn't expecting to see it published today. Time to see if I can take the heat. http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/say-something-nice-internet-fandom-71827.htm )

This article is perfect and you are a perfect example of a reasonable human being, something the Who fandom needs more of. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Tricks is being brought to an end to make way for new series (just like Atlantis ;-)).

Can't say it had a bad run! Though it didn't look too healthy as of late, losing 2m year-on-year (that's edging more on "sudden ratings decline" than Doctor Who Series 8, I would say).
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest did they say what the new series was that New Tricks is making way for, or is it just said in a general way of we'll use the money for something else
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it interesting that Christmas Day TV was down noticeably, why would that be the case? perhaps games are taking the spot light away, as they can be a enjoyable way of interacting and having fun in a group of people, just a thought
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I assume you're talking about "real" games like Charades, Pass the Parcel, and Musical Chairs, not the electric sort!
    They were all we had when I were a lad...........
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets talk ratings: 1987 Edition
  • Options
    Forum Member

Wow! That's quite a find. And interesting that Trial of a Timelord was better received than McCoy's first season.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Wow! That's quite a find. And interesting that Trial of a Timelord was better received than McCoy's first season.

Not surprising. As poor as the Trial Of A Timelord season was it was nowhere near as bad as McCoy's first season which was shocking. Easily the worst ever season of Doctor Who. But who knew that the next two series would be so good and contain two of the best ever stories in Fenric and Remembrance Of The Daleks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Guardian have a piece on overnight/consolidated ratings: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/22/fortitude-indian-summer-tv-ratings

While BARB have a piece on how the weather affects viewing figures: http://www.barb.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Guardian have a piece on overnight/consolidated ratings: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/22/fortitude-indian-summer-tv-ratings

A very well considered piece. I particularly like the following line: "Consolidated audience figures, which take into account viewing on the night of transmission and people who recorded the show and watched it in the subsequent seven days, are in danger of putting overnights out of business."
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hilarious.

56% wanted Mel to be killed off in Paradise Towers. What on earth were the other 44% thinking of?

It is good to be reminded just how unpopular McCoy and Langford were.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bokonon wrote: »
    Hilarious.

56% wanted Mel to be killed off in Paradise Towers. What on earth were the other 44% thinking of?

It is good to be reminded just how unpopular McCoy and Langford were.

I hated that series, I'm still amazed at how much they turned McCoy's era around in his second series. A great period for the show.
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I hated that series, I'm still amazed at how much they turned McCoy's era around in his second series. A great period for the show.

Yes fabulous- declining ratings followed by thoroughly well deserved cancellation.