Hollyoaks no more a soap about young people?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
Forum Member
✭✭
I noticed on the description on 4od it's been changed (changed it about 5 months ago) from something like "the lives and ups and downs of YOUNG people in a chester village" to a more generic term describing people of all ages.

I suppose it makes sense considering most of the storylines involve older characters (30+).

The thing is the main reason i first got into hollyoaks was because it involved young characters, back in the day when Zoe, Amy and other the younger characters were in the soap. What's your take on this? do you prefer it now or do you prefer it with younger characters?

Comments

• hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it appeals to more people to have a range of ages. I've watched Hollyoaks now for about ten years and much prefer a range of characters. The younger cast do have good story lines some of the time especially with Amy and Hannah, and Esther but I think it would get a bit tiresome if the show only concentrated on them.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment I think it's quite similar to Bryan Kirkwood's first era with storylines involving characters of all ages, rather than a heavy focus on young/teen characters. It seems to work best that way.

Some of the worst periods of Hollyoaks I can remember (2009 and the first half of 2012) were mainly based around younger characters.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,165
    Forum Member
    It has kind of dialed back on the teens.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    All soaps should feature characters from all ages, something the soap lacked in its early days. I would still call it a teen soap though. It tends to go in to heavier, more exciting drama that would appeal to a younger audience.
  • LiverpoolFCGirlLiverpoolFCGirl Posts: 15,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The teens are still getting their fair share of storylines I think. It just so happens that the older characters are getting plenty of involvement in the show as well.

Personally, I find nothing worse than when shows obsess over their teen characters so I'm very relieved that things have returned to a healthier mix! It's just how I like it. :)
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The teen characters are insufferable so it's not a big deal. Unlike Kirkwoods last era when the teen storylines were amazing.

It dosen't matter though, the show's the best it's ever been atm.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More accurate would be "The lives and ups and downs of serial killers, psychopaths, kidnappers, amnesiacs and folks who get over the most terrible events in a weekend and get on with their lives as if nothing had happened in a Chester village that has a higher death rate than an average Afghani war zone".
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    The teen characters are insufferable so it's not a big deal. Unlike Kirkwoods last era when the teen storylines were amazing.

It dosen't matter though, the show's the best it's ever been atm.

Quite the comedian, aren't you.