Options

If you saw a Police Officer struggling to arrest someone.Would you offer assistance?.

Comments

• Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I know there are good cops and bad cops and some inbetween.But on the rare occasion i see them fighting.I think 'that's not right'.No one should have to put up with stuff like that trying to enforce the law.

Well I think that we all use personal experiences as examples, I've helped the police, paramedics etc lots of times but if I thought the police were using bullying tactics I would also speak out for the victim.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    I would like to reply - Yes, However in view of the lack of interest shown by the police when contacted regarding assistance over continual vandalism and break ins to our premises from a small group of local identifiable villains then I would offer them the same degree of assistance and interest they offered me - None !

I'm sure you'll enjoy the day you walk on past a copper needing assistance and the guy escapes arrest who later turns out to be someone who'd just robbed your place :D
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I don't trust the police in this country. Dangerous people.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    I'd like to think I wouldn't hesitate.

My brother recently retired from the Police.He's told me all the horror stories from over his career.I've never had a bad experience from them,but I am aware of the bad apples that people encounter.
    Like yourself,i'd find it hasrder to walk on by than to lend a hand.It's the right thing to do in my conscience.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the day you walk on past a copper needing assistance and the guy escapes arrest who later turns out to be someone who'd just robbed your place :D

You mean, like, if you'd just got a job as a novelty wrestler and you failed to help a cop catch a thug who went on to murder your uncle and left you to look after your frail aunt on a meagre news photographer's wages?
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    You mean, like, if you'd just got a job as a novelty wrestler and you failed to help a cop catch a thug who went on to murder your uncle and left you to look after your frail aunt on a meagre news photographer's wages?

exlordlucan is spiderman that's where he's been all this time!
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »

Believe it or not there is an offence of 'refusing to assist a constable'.

'...when called upon to do so'

I have intervened in a man/woman situation. And it did turn out they 'knew' each other and she didn't want help. But I thought he was a random (violent) drunk.

I left them to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have done it many times so yes, no probs on that one.

Doorman/Bouncer?.They have to step in to help all the time.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had to but I hope I'd help out the law if the circumstances arose.
    I suppose walking on by is the 'self preservation' option.

i have the benefit of being a former policeman and am a martial arts instructor so i am familiar with all the home office approved techniques of restraint
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    '...when called upon to do so'

I have intervened in a man/woman situation. And it did turn out they 'knew' each other and she didn't want help. But I thought he was a random (violent) drunk.

I left them to it.

Even the Cops in Rab C Nesbitt used to walk on by.Referring to it as 'a domestic'.'Leave them to it son' said the wise old Sgt to the young probationer.
    Even when the husband had a knife sticking out of his back.
    'Probably came home with a burst pay packet i'll wager'.:p
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm that's a difficult one. I'd like to say yes but in reality it would depend entirely on the circumstances. And as a smallish female I'm not sure I'd be able to help much anyway! However my Dad was a sergeant in the police so if it was him struggling to arrest someone then of course I'd have rushed to his aid! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the Cops in Rab C Nesbitt used to walk on by.Referring to it as 'a domestic'.'Leave them to it son' said the wise old Sgt to the young probationer.
    Even when the husband had a knife sticking out of his back.
    'Probably came home with a burst pay packet i'll wager'.:p

Ah, that'll be Scottish law, different rules :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    deleted

999 and ask for the Po-lice.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Ah, that'll be Scottish law, different rules :D

Aye Glasgow Govan.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    999 and ask for the Po-lice.:p

Or 'Polis' if north of the border ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Difficult to argue with that, although it could be said that the degree of disinterest shown by whoever declined to send someone to help you, has little bearing on the individual copper needing immediate assistance.

I don't like seeing real life violence.Obviously I wouldn't stick my neck out for any old fight in the street.But it's kind of gut wrenching to see Police Officers getting a kicking.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd film it on me phone and post it on Facebook.
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Hmmm that's a difficult one. I'd like to say yes but in reality it would depend entirely on the circumstances. And as a smallish female I'm not sure I'd be able to help much anyway! However my Dad was a sergeant in the police so if it was him struggling to arrest someone then of course I'd have rushed to his aid! :D

Being a smallish female normally helps situations. The big guys won't try to push you about and it defuses situations. In my experience the tough guy always gives in!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    never heard of civic duty?

Besides, its an offence in common law to refuse assistance to a police officer who is attempting to maintain the peace, if requested to do so.

My(retired Police) brother and his family had to move house when some bad boys found out where he lived.Cut the brake pipes on his car,smashed windows etc.They knew who'd done it.Just couldn't prove it.It's the stuff people never get to hear about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    Yes I'd go and help I'd be more worried about if the attacker had a weapon of some sort instead of whether he was going to sue me. His claim against me would need to start with "While I was resisting arrest by assaulting a police officer...." and I doubt it would be taken seriously by anyone.

Or he might bite you.Have AIDS or Hep B etc.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Or he might bite you.Have AIDS or Hep B etc.

Yes or that too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    Yes I'd help but then I'm not speaking from an unbiased perspective obviously. For those concerned about legal backlash - ensure the officers knows your intentions (tell them you're going to help) and so long as your actions are reasonable and in good faith then you shouldn't get in trouble even if the police officer later does. That being said I can understand why people wouldn't help, to an extent.

Believe it or not there is an offence of 'refusing to assist a constable'.

I don't think I'd have any trouble grabbing a pair of legs or sitting on someone.Unless his mates came to the rescue.Then it would be a 100m sprint out of it.
    'Officer down!'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My(retired Police) brother and his family had to move house when some bad boys found out where he lived.Cut the brake pipes on his car,smashed windows etc.They knew who'd done it.Just couldn't prove it.It's the stuff people never get to hear about.

When i was in the job, we had a Special who, having been just appointed and given his uniform, one day patrolled his own street on a council estate, in full uniform, checking tax disks. He was plankton and didn't last long. You can guess what life for him was like in his street after that. We were getting called to his house all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    Well I think that we all use personal experiences as examples, I've helped the police, paramedics etc lots of times but if I thought the police were using bullying tactics I would also speak out for the victim.

For sure.The truth must be told.