Back Pain...

2»

Comments

• vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's definitely getting better. Been doing some minor stretchy cobblers and just trying to keep on. I suspect it's come on because I've been cycling a reasonable amount but not swimming much (which I use to counteract the position the bikes push you into). I'll try get the paddling back into the routine.

Thanks for all the advice though chaps and to those fellow sufferers - you have my sympathy. It's a mutha.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a back problems for 11 years and managed it with physio, osteopath, over the counter and PX meds...oh and the heat pads.

Despite many visits to my GP I have never had an X-ray or MRI to find out what's wrong.

I ended up having emergency surgery in August, a Discectomy.

The pain I had leading up to it was the worst I have ever experienced. Luckily when I saw a new GP he was on the ball and said I was displaying red flags and had me admitted to hospital on a blue light.

I woke up from the op, the pain was gone, it was such a relief.
    I was on 31 tablets a day when I was discharged the next day .

The op will not get rid of my back pain but was done to rid me of sciatica.

Please have a read of this and watch what you are doing.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/spinal-disc-problems-including-red-flag-signs

I would say try to stay mobile as much as you can but that's what I did and when they opened me up they found internal bleeding and fragments of bone and debris so maybe I hadn't done the right thing.

Good luck with it, I hope you are feeling better soon, I know it's not nice and unless you have had it yourself you just can't understand the pain.
    Take care
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Well, it's definitely getting better. Been doing some minor stretchy cobblers and just trying to keep on. I suspect it's come on because I've been cycling a reasonable amount but not swimming much (which I use to counteract the position the bikes push you into). I'll try get the paddling back into the routine.

Thanks for all the advice though chaps and to those fellow sufferers - you have my sympathy. It's a mutha.

Good to hear it's improving....
    Two other tips for bad back suffers
    1) don't let yourself get constipated, it can increase back pain
    2) drink plenty of water( can't remember the reason I was given, other than the obvious)
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    Curious, but do you own a road bike? It might further irritate your cause if your bike isn't set up correctly; it's not quite as simple as it may seem when buying one.

When I first got my road bike, I took the advice of the shop staff, suffice to say I don't think they were completely true with their recommendation; the frame length I think was too lengthy for my body type, thus when I was riding I was unintentionally stretched more.

I still ride the same bike, though have found that turning the handle bar stem upside down (this in turn raises your position a little, but stretches you less), and moving the saddle forward a little has helped greatly. If it's a road bike you use, I would suggest doing the same and seeing how you get on. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I was going to suggest it might be your cycling not helping matters but that has been done so I will stick with my first diagnosis............. YOU ARE JUST GETTING OLD!!!!! :p
  • scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suffer back pain sometimes only if I'm standing for long periods of time, it eases when I start walking so I don't know if it's worth going to the doctor about it.

I went to a concert but it was a standing venue so I had to leave early as my back was aching so much so it impacts my quality of life to an extent. I'm only young too so can't be old age.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I suffer back pain sometimes only if I'm standing for long periods of time, it eases when I start walking so I don't know if it's worth going to the doctor about it.

I went to a concert but it was a standing venue so I had to leave early as my back was aching so much so it impacts my quality of life to an extent. I'm only young too so can't be old age.

That's how my back issues started. I remember going to Reading Festival back in 2000 and having exactly the issue you describe. Then in 2004 i went off a slide and jarred my back a bit. Since then i have flair ups every couple of years. the worst one being in 2013 when i fully slipped a disc during a holiday to the USA. Not sure of exact cause but i went on a lot of rollercoasters and carried my son on my shoulders a lot.

Start taking care of your back now, doing strengthening exercises and generally being a bit careful with it.
  • seamistseamist Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I've had horrifying bouts of back pain since a child.Not long ago,age 49,i bought a squatty potty to do my number two's with.Boy it helps.It gets rid of what appears to be chronic sciatica a lot.I guess i must have sciatica,but my bowels when full,must put pressure somewhere and make it a lot worse.Try a squatty potty,it may help.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    totally go to your doctor you shouldn`t mess with a bad back without knowing what`s going on.

I certainly agree with this if the symptoms continue to persist.

Link: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Back-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    That's how my back issues started. I remember going to Reading Festival back in 2000 and having exactly the issue you describe. Then in 2004 i went off a slide and jarred my back a bit. Since then i have flair ups every couple of years. the worst one being in 2013 when i fully slipped a disc during a holiday to the USA. Not sure of exact cause but i went on a lot of rollercoasters and carried my son on my shoulders a lot.

Start taking care of your back now, doing strengthening exercises and generally being a bit careful with it.

I used to be a carer and that's when I started noticing it. I get bad foot pain aswell sometimes, I suffer from anxiety so it may be muscle tension build up.

What sort of exercises can I do? I think I will start carrying around paracetamols with me when I'm going somewhere where I will need to stand for a while just in case.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a back thing recently and because it was interfering with my cycling, took myself to the dr. Meanwhile I Voltarol'd the crap out of it; did nothing for one day but lie there with a hot waterbottle - and felt fine enough to do 14 miles on the bike the day after that. By the time the dr's appt came round, the pain had gone. But I went anyway as I have had this on and off for years. She said it was just a bit of swelling and blitzing it instantly with Voltarol, combined with total rest followed by rapid return to total normality was in fact, the best treatment. Normally I get spasms and 'aftershocks' for weeks or months after my back goes. But this time... nothing. She explained that the spasms are your brain sensing inflammation and continuing to send messages of 'Help! Pain!' - and she said because I had taken the swelling down so quickly, I'd be a lot less likely to have my usual spasms (which tbh were worse than the original pain, usually - they'd come on without warning and were just sheer agony). Been a month or so now and still no after-pains.

I have had this since my 20s, on and off and never once went to the dr's because my dad had the same thing and was never helped by anything the dr gave him. I also suffered it without ever trying Voltarol, assuming over the counter medicines are snake-oil. Not so. Dr said to continue the Voltarol as it's only what she'd prescribe anyway. Now I have a tube of it in me Carradice. Just in case.