Silver Linings

Comments

• Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just got back from seeing it. I really enjoyed it. Jennifer was great in it but Bradley matched her with his performance. It had a really good feel to the film and was funny too.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Just got back from seeing it. I really enjoyed it. Jennifer was great in it but Bradley matched her with his performance. It had a really good feel to the film and was funny too.

Was it as worthy of Oscar Noms as has been made out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeh I would say so. I would say Bradley and Jennifer equally deserve nominations. Bradley made Pat very likeable, funny and vulnerable all at the same time and Jennifer just owned her lines. Robert De Niro was brilliant too - he had one scene where he
    sat on the bed by Bradley and cried because he regretted not spending as much time with him as a child, and spent it with his brother. That was really sad. Bradley just had to stare at him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to see this again tonight :D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    No.

Bleak Depressing and not very Funny.4/10

Jennifer 'the body' Lawrence was the only highlight, and she couldn't appear soon enough for me, her best scenes were with Robert de Niro too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this movie. Best romcom I've seen in ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen it for a second time - I got it a lot more this time. I appreciated Bradley's role a lot more as well.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think the movie's going to get a lot of Oscar noms, Jennifer Lawrence is the frontrunner for best actress, loved her in it and loved her big scene with De Niro, the match a legend like him is pretty hard but she did it in that scene, talking of De Niro this is his strongest role in years, likely to give him his first Oscar nom since Cape Fear, Bradley Cooper does a great job as well and for once Chris Tucker doesn't annoy me
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks great from the trailer. I'll definitely be seeing this soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks great from the trailer. I'll definitely be seeing this soon.

It's great :)
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought this was great, sort of an anti romcom - though it's directed by david o russell who is always brilliant.

some very, very funny line "how did your husband die?", yet quite emotional towards the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Saw this on a whim last night - I didn't know much about it, hadn't even seen the trailer and wasn't particularly interested. But..

I loved it! It was the perfect mix of humour and darkness, and so heartwarming. I thought the cast were fantastic, and it really opened my eyes about Bradley Cooper because I was never much of a fan. This is exactly the kind of romcom I like watching, I've long since had enough of the formulaic crap that is churned out 4 or 5 times a year.

One question: Did anyone feel 'mis-led' by the trailer? A couple of people I saw it with didn't enjoy it because they thought it was going to be a more standard film, and were annoyed that it wasn't like that at all. My fault for watching with 15 yr olds I suppose!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Starstrukk wrote: »
    Saw this on a whim last night - I didn't know much about it, hadn't even seen the trailer and wasn't particularly interested. But..

I loved it! It was the perfect mix of humour and darkness, and so heartwarming. I thought the cast were fantastic, and it really opened my eyes about Bradley Cooper because I was never much of a fan. This is exactly the kind of romcom I like watching, I've long since had enough of the formulaic crap that is churned out 4 or 5 times a year.

One question: Did anyone feel 'mis-led' by the trailer? A couple of people I saw it with didn't enjoy it because they thought it was going to be a more standard film, and were annoyed that it wasn't like that at all. My fault for watching with 15 yr olds I suppose!
    I was.

But I wasn't after a standard film...a good one yes, but not so depressing.....and was it really a comedy?
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the opening quite tedious but felt the film really rocked when the two leads were interacting, jenifer lawrence was electric
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favourite line was 'They won't let me have a phone.....they think I'm going to call Nikki'
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it yesterday, and it was a beautiful amazing film. I was at the Toronto Film Festival and watched the stars attend the premiere of this film. They replayed the trailer over and over and since then I'd really wanted to see it. Also I'm a huge fan of Jennifer Lawrence and she was perfect in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh Jennifer owned her scenes! She was particularly great in her scenes with Robert De Niro
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    I'm going to see it on Thursday :) It's not my kind of film, but I'm a massive JLaw fan and given all the Oscar buzz this part is getting her, I can't not see it. I hope she lives up to my expectations! (And also snags that Oscar come February ;))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Saw this yesterday. To be - one of the best films this year. Everyone involved does a superb job and delivered their lines on point. Bradley Cooper played bipolar very well and Jennifer Lawrence, again owned the screen. Her scene with Robert De Niro was a highlight :D

If these actors are not nominated for the roles in this film - it will be a crime

A DVD purchase for me
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am desperate to see it just need to find the time

i have so many films i want to see but can't find time to go :o
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    going to see it tonight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although many may be drawn by this films two leads - the mildly attractive pairing of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence - it's good to see director David O. Russell doing something a little different, for him at least, with this rom-com.

Of course it's a little edgier than your usual rom-com, but it's essentially a rom-com nonetheless.

Both Cooper and Lawrence give terrific performances, with both showing a great handling of lighter material.

And De Niro manages to deliver a comedic role without being overly cringe-worthy, which makes a nice change.

It will be interesting to see how mental health charities react to it though, as it is used somewhat as a way of making the characters behave a little wackily, so not quite the most sensitive of portrayals.

Overall all though, great fun.

Review here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see how mental health charities react to it though, as it is used somewhat as a way of making the characters behave a little wackily, so not quite the most sensitive of portrayals.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the portrayals. Fact is sometimes mental illness means you come across wackily to people, and sometimes people without mental illnesses are just as wacky. I think it dealt with all of that, and acceptance, and learning how to be happy despite it, beautifully.

Great film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rawr wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the portrayals. Fact is sometimes mental illness means you come across wackily to people, and sometimes people without mental illnesses are just as wacky. I think it dealt with all of that, and acceptance, and learning how to be happy despite it, beautifully.

Great film.

Yeh all of Pat's friends treated him the same, which was good to see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I was.

But I wasn't after a standard film...a good one yes, but not so depressing.....and was it really a comedy?

Hmm I suppose not. More of a drama with humorous moments? That's not very catchy though :D