Do you remember the killer Diane Downs?

13»

Comments

• johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giovan wrote: »
    Watching that video, Downs raises a very good point...

If the prosecutors claim she wanted the children dead then why wouldn't she make sure they were dead before turning up at a hospital?

Maybe she thought they were? Also, if she was trying to claim that someone else shot them, that would only seem plausible if she took them to the hospital after the attack.

What I'd like to know is why does Downs think that her daughter was pressured to say that she was the person responsible for the shooting? Downs wouldn't have been present in the hospital when the police were talking to her daughter. Also, I find it hard to believe that anyone would constantly question a child who was unable to communicate. Has the daughter ever claimed that her account of events was forced out of her by the police/prosecutors? If not, then why do her grandfather and uncle think that's what happened?

Incidentally, according to the Wiki link posted up-thread, Downs accused her father of sexually abusing her. So why on earth is he defending her? If he didn't abuse her, then he must know that she's capable of lying about major things. So why does he believe her?
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read the book and seen the film with Farrah Fawcett. There have been other high-profile cases where a mother has harmed her own children. Susan Smith is one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Smith

"On October 25, 1994, Smith reported to police that she had been carjacked by a black man who drove away with her sons still in the car. For nine days, she made dramatic pleas on national television for the rescue and return of her children. However, following an intensive investigation and a nationwide search, on November 3, 1994, Smith confessed to letting her 1990 Mazda Protegé roll into nearby John D. Long Lake, drowning her children inside."

Diana Downs has still not confessed, 30 years later, if she had she could be out by now.

Her daughter, months later, told the people in court her mum did it..
    The DA who wanted her mum done to save his career adopted/became her dad her after that.

No way was her conviction 100% right. Just because there is a film about it that says their version is true means nothing.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never heard of her
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I'd say that from all I have seen, all signs point to this being a totally safe conviction. I for one believe her to be guilty and this isn't even one of those cases where I think there is much doubt.

I think any appeals/ parole hearings etc will continue turn her down.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Google it! Took me less than 5 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Downs

Bottom line there, if you maintain your innocence you will never be released...

"Admit we were right or you are going nowhere", it makes me wonder just how many do just that in order to get released.
  • jannajanna Posts: 7,323
    Forum Member
    Giovan wrote: »
    But she had a gun. She could have shot them several times.

That would have been 'over kill' , and once cops see over kill they immediately look to family/friends. That's the rule of thumb.
    She had to make it look random, but she just over planned things (re the neatly folded bandage/towel for example.) She did it. Crackpots (technical term) like her often refuse to admit to the crime because they can't face being what they are. They have to maintain innocence at all costs .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When her 9yr old child describes how her mother shot her and her siblings, as well as the other evidence presented, it's kinda hard to see how she's innocent.