Options

Do you ever make small talk or be sociable with strangers?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you ever converse with Strangers, whether it be in the street, in shops, libraries, gym, etc? Or do you hate the thought of making conversation with strangers?

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hell no, my mother always said never speak to strangers and if they get their willy out, give it a kick
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm in a bar or club or someplace similar I will chat with anyone.

I don't just chat to the nearest bystander at the bus stop though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    Bar/club/ somewhere social- absolutely.

Anywhere else though- on the tube, in the street etc, I HATE it. I wish more people understood that headphones in= don't want to be disturbed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll talk to anyone, i'm a very social guy.:)
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I will chat to anyone who speaks to me. It is simply small talk but it is nice to talk to strangers.

:):)
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    Do you ever converse with Strangers, whether it be in the street, in shops, libraries, gym, etc? Or do you hate the thought of making conversation with strangers?

Yep quite often but I think most of it is probably down to a near 20 year career as a journalist where you're often talking to people you don't know.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of the time : I say hello to most people I pass in the street in my local area and occasionally start conversations at bus stops or in queues.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Yes I'll strike up a conversation with anybody at the drop of a hat.
    I find people fascinating, though a surprisingly large number of normal looking people turn out to be care in the community when you talk to them.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    No, I'm a misery guts.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in a 99p shop last week and this lady started talking to me as I walked in the shop, she picked up one of those fake plastic flowers and said she needs to treat herself as she just came back from a hard days work, She told me how she nearly got punched in a care home she was working at.

I was more baffled as to how a fake plastic flower plant can make her feel good.:D
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »

I do converse with strangers when they start the conversation.

I'm not very good at initiating conversation, though. :o
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the time, yesterday I spent an hour talking to another mum (who I'd previously never met) in the park about all sorts. Then went our separate ways.

I speak to strangers at the checkout, in shops, lifts. I like it. I like to compliment strangers on their clothes, kids etc.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember once I got chatting to an elderly man on a bus a few years back and he ended up telling me the end to the film Million Dollar Baby... I had just bought the film from HMV... I wasnt impressed! :(
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Oh god no I can't imagine anything worse it really is one of my biggest fears
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only if they're female and attractive
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I talk to anyone that strikes up a conversation with me ,at the shops ,bus stop etc ,but i never start the convo in the 1st place :o
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like many of us - yes, all the time. I like small connections.

Took my mother and a loved friend out for lunch today, wanted coffee outside.

It was crowded but went out and secured an outside table, by chatting up a couple of people nearby, to save the table.

Huge fun, got ripped a bit because I'd called my Mother elderly, told the guy that I was just manipulating him.

Mother acceded to 'dolly bird' status in her youth, I didn't, (and can't) had a really fun time, with him and the table with him.

We all did our own thing, but when we left, big goodbyes and a laughing bit of contact.

Strangers are just people you don't know. They're not STRANGE, most of em'.
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I'll talk to anyone, i'm a very social guy.:)
    If you were someone I knew at my local pub, I'd gladly pay for your pints of beer for the whole evening for you, and maybe we could play a game of pool if the pub had pool tables. :)
  • Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to compliment people first, then maybe if the chance is available to talk, then I'll talk. I quite enjoy approaching girls in street though.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely yes, I have have had some really lovely conversations with strangers.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God yes. I'm going to be one of those scary elderly ladies with a funny hat and huge shopping bag full of rubbish who wibbles on about anything to strangers on park benches! :o:D
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in 2 shops and 2 bars, so yes!
  • Options
    StillAliveStillAlive Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    God yes. I'm going to be one of those scary elderly ladies with a funny hat and huge shopping bag full of rubbish who wibbles on about anything to strangers on park benches! :o:D

Hmm, this got me thinking......maybe I think I've had lovely conversations with strangers and they are thinking something completely different.