Hear here! I wonder who that Bangers fellow was? :D
    you, you're Bangers.
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shame , I ,ll miss 459 the sports letters , a good laugh
  • RHQRHQ Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I've got Sky Broadband, a main PC, & two laptops, but I still find Sky Text quicker & more convenient to get basic news info. First thing I do when I get back from work is check it. A big mistake in my opinion. No doubt the price will go up while customers get less. Way of the world it seems.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Sky text is now officially dead :( (at least on sky sports news) still working on sky news for now
  • ken190ken190 Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On it not it and off there
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a joke.
  • NKM2010NKM2010 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Sky text is now officially dead :( (at least on sky sports news) still working on sky news for now

Will it be removed from BBC :confused:

My father has no internet and relies on this for horse racing results
    Forum Member
    NKM2010 wrote: »

BBC is fine. That's not going (at least for now) but nothing is guaranteed for the future
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NKM2010 wrote: »

JSemple3 wrote: »
    BBC is fine. That's not going (at least for now) but nothing is guaranteed for the future

ADSL is cheap now depending on who your with so in the future that might be the best option if the BBC also 'pulls the plug' on broadcast TV text services. With connected red button though, they are investing in a TV text service, albeit you will have to have internet to use it!.
  • PhiljwadePhiljwade Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For sports fans this was a very useful service. I used it all the time during the cricket season; if you were watching a live match but wanted to keep up with another crucial game then you could just toggle between text and the live TV. I detest the vogue for having ticker tape scores rolling across the screen or even being given the score from other matches during the live broadcast and being announced by the commentators - do they not realise that lots of people actually record live matches from other channels to watch later?? BT Sport is falling into this bad practice on the rugby and football coverage – shame because their rugby coverage is pretty good. :mad:
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philjwade wrote: »
    For sports fans this was a very useful service. I used it all the time during the cricket season; if you were watching a live match but wanted to keep up with another crucial game then you could just toggle between text and the live TV. I detest the vogue for having ticker tape scores rolling across the screen or even being given the score from other matches during the live broadcast and being announced by the commentators - do they not realise that lots of people actually record live matches from other channels to watch later?? BT Sport is falling into this bad practice on the rugby and football coverage – shame because their rugby coverage is pretty good. :mad:

I hate the way BT Sport run a ticker along the top of the screen during extra time of the Saturday lunch time game giving details about the 3pm PL kick offs.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought u could get this on eurosport or is this not the case, damm shame.,
  • StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Hard to believe I know for people whose lives revolve around them, but there are still people who don't even have computers, or any other device that's capable of using broadband!
    :)

As we approach the year 2014 I'd say that most, if not all, of those who still don't have computers or broadband do so because they choose not to have computers or broadband.
  • StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It probably wasn't worth the cost of them keeping it running for the benefit of the small minority who still use it.

Long live RTE analouge text though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • sbeck201sbeck201 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Stuey wrote: »
    As we approach the year 2014 I'd say that most, if not all, of those who still don't have computers or broadband do so because they choose not to have computers or broadband.
    I used Sky text most days - useful for news headlines, lottery results and sports news. Although I've got (very slow) broadband, it's not on all the time, so text (inc. BBC's) is more convenient if I want to have a quick browse for latest news. I'd be surprised if Sky text was not used much by viewers, but presumably that's why they've closed it. Hobson's choice is not always the best choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Stuey wrote: »
    It probably wasn't worth the cost of them keeping it running for the benefit of the small minority who still use it.

Long live RTE analouge text though!

Usually when a service is removed it is replaced by a better method of communication from the same provider. Referring the customer to a laptop is an unusual way to upgrade ones service.

It would be interesting to know how you (or Sky for that matter) assess how many of us are using this service.

Perhaps 3D TV may suffer the same demise for the same reason? I believe BBC are on the point of reducing / removing programming for 3D.
    Forum Member
    SilverFox2 wrote: »
    Usually when a service is removed it is replaced by a better method of communication from the same provider. Referring the customer to a laptop is an unusual way to upgrade ones service.

It would be interesting to know how you (or Sky for that matter) assess how many of us are using this service.

Perhaps 3D TV may suffer the same demise for the same reason? I believe BBC are on the point of reducing / removing programming for 3D.

BBC 3D on a 2 year hiatus I think after this year (Doctor who 50th will be in 3D though I think)
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    What about those without the internet?

Come join us in the 21st century where even watches can get the internet.
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frost wrote: »
    Come join us in the 21st century where even watches can get the internet.
    Who in their right mind would wan't to view text on a tiny little screen, that's hardly progress.

To be serious, the only way to retain what we've lost would be to have a desk top computer/laptop in all the rooms we currently have a Sky box.
  • Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    why have sky got rid of this service it was handy to be able to read the stories you wanted to read/also the weather i have switched to bbc .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    There was a thread started about this already but I would presume the "walled garden" environment of a tv text service was eventually going to die out, along the same lines as AOL's walled garden sites back in 2006. Not that I agree with it being closed down but I admit I haven't used tv text service in a good many years, though I gather there is still a lot of people out there that used it.

That reminds me does Cartoon Network still have it's "ToonText"?
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    I've tried digital text on numerous occasions and have never found it as user-friendly as the old teletext services used to be (endless menus to be negotiated before the page you want can be viewed - and then only on 1/3 of the page).

I've now given up using TV text completely.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    I've tried digital text on numerous occasions and have never found it as user-friendly as the old teletext services used to be (endless menus to be negotiated before the page you want can be viewed - and then only on 1/3 of the page).

I've now given up using TV text completely.

How did you navigate the old system ?
    The answer may be typing in Numbers which you still do on BBC red button ,,,
    But the new text has more option than fastext at each level
    Which can get you there quicker
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Red Button has always used page numbers for navigation, though some pages on Red Button are without page numbers whilst the remaining are three or four digits long.

The full Index on BBC Red Button is page 199 - contact the service via http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20039682