Options

New low for 5*

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Five have apparently learnt nothing from stuffing the opener of season one of The Walking Dead full of ads (in excess of the Ofcom allowance), the first two eps of season 4 demonstrate an equal contempt for viewers. I didn`t time these to the split-second but over the two eps the ratio of programme to ads and trails was two thirds to a third. Just to further annoy people each ep started a minute early and one particular 20 minute segment in ep 1 deserves special highlighting. A SIX minute part of the ep was sandwiched either side by two SEVEN minute ad/trail breaks and at no point in either ep was there a longer segment of show than 13 minutes and no ad break was shorter than 5 minutes.

Add all of this to them saying they weren`t going to be airing this season anyway (no doubt leading to many sourcing it via other means) and it`s like they are actively discouraging people from watching it, especially as it airs live (more fool me no doubt). I can`t imagine their advertisers are thrilled with this kind of presentation and the viewers certainly won`t be.

Comments

• Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    When will details of the new low for 5* be posted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will details of the new low for 5* be posted?

If you have nothing to contribute please move along.
  • Options
    ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just glad 5* are showing it.

I use a PVR so ads don't bother me one bit. In a week I save myself around 7 hours of ads.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be thankful we aren't in America, their ad breaks are awful.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I use a PVR so ads don't bother me one bit. In a week I save myself around 7 hours of ads.

It is, of-course, for this reason that ad breaks are becoming increasingly intrusive,

Advertisers are not so stupid that they will keep paying the same rates for advertising on commercial TV when they know very well that so people are fast-forwarding through the ad breaks. Rates have fallen a long way from the days when commercial TV was 'a licence to print money'.

Eventually the funding of TV on this basis will become completely unviable, except perhaps for live events like sport where viewers want to watch the event as it happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »

I reckon a 20 minute segment where only 6 minutes is programme is already the equivalent of the States.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly, I watch hardly anything on commercial TV 'live' except sport and some news as some breaks are that long you can almost forget what it is you're watching.
    gother wrote: »

And Canada, and Jamaica too.

I saw one episode of Coronation Street in Canada with four commercial breaks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for the 'new low'....
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    I'm looking for the 'new low'....

I already cracked that joke in the first reply to this thread. It wasn't appreciated :D:D
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is channels like 5*, that make me love watching at USA pace.

Months difference in airing
    No adverts

Sorted :D
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commercial channel in broadcasting commercials scandal. Who'd have thunk it. ;)
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is channels like 5*, that make me love watching at USA pace.

Months difference in airing
    No adverts

Sorted :D

And illegal presumably?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Commercial channel in broadcasting commercials scandal. Who'd have thunk it. ;)

Are you wilfully missing the point or is it for "comic effect"?

I helpfully highlighted the key point being made - 6 minutes of programming in a 20 minute passage of time is excessive.

Can`t help but feel that because PVRs let you skip them, you don`t think it`s important. If that`s the case leave the thread to others willing to discuss it.

Thought I`d get more sense posting something like this in Broadcasting. How wrong I was....
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Are you wilfully missing the point or is it for "comic effect"?

I helpfully highlighted the key point being made - 6 minutes of programming in a 20 minute passage of time is excessive.

Can`t help but feel that because PVRs let you skip them, you don`t think it`s important. If that`s the case leave the thread to others willing to discuss it.

Thought I`d get more sense posting something like this in Broadcasting. How wrong I was....

If you rise to the bait people will know they can wind you up so best to ignore the comments you don't like.

I have noticed during Criminal Minds that the ads were getting on for 6 mins.

Having PVR'd some shows most channels are 4mins or 4mins 30 but they have worked out PVR's forward in 30 secs stints and makes the ads slightly longer or shorter so you cannot avoid the programme sponsor.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't help you there. 5* and 5 USA are among the channels I always delete immediately after a re-tune, along with all the other crap like Ideal World, Viva and Pop, etc.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If people keep on watching they will keep on doing this.

I only ever watch TV drama via VOD or DVD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, it's ridiculous. And they wonder why people resort to 'alternative' means to view their favourite programs. Unless I absolutely love the show I'll watch it on Netflix or buy the box set.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon a 20 minute segment where only 6 minutes is programme is already the equivalent of the States.

If what you are saying is right and that 16 minutes of a 20 minute broadcast was adverts then you should talk to OFCOM as this is violation of broadcasting code (max 12mins per hour of adverts)

However remember that programme trailers do not count towards that 12 mins and 5* are trying to fill an hours slot with a 40minute programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    If what you are saying is right and that 16 minutes of a 20 minute broadcast was adverts then you should talk to OFCOM as this is violation of broadcasting code (max 12mins per hour of adverts)

However remember that programme trailers do not count towards that 12 mins and 5* are trying to fill an hours slot with a 40minute programme.

It was a mix of ads and trail (that bloody long one for a random selection of movies that have already aired a hundred times apiece - Who would plug Ghost Rider anymore?!?!). I complained to Five about the season premiere of S1 of TWD and they clearly knew they`d overstepped the mark. I think I put in an email to Ofcom but I can`t remember properly as it was that long ago.

Here are the breakdowns of the two eps (to the minute, not the second):

Ep 1 start 21.59. First ad break 22.12
    22.19 programme return. Second ad/trail break 22.25
    22.32 programme return. Third ad/trail break 22.44.
    22.49 programme return. Fourth break (trails only) 22.56

Ep. 2 start 22.59. First ad break 23.12
    23.17 programme return. Second ad/trail break 23.27
    23.33 programme return. Third ad/trail break 23.44
    23.49 programme return. Ends 23.55.
  • Options
    MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    To be honest I very rarely watch 5*, but did watch S4 Walking Dead this weekend. Provided they play out the rest of the series like this, then I have no problem at all. It was a good experience - 5* should carry on.

I would never choose to watch this channel live. I just can't imagine why I would choose to do that.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here are the breakdowns of the two eps (to the minute, not the second):

Ep 1 start 21.59. First ad break 22.12
    22.19 programme return. Second ad/trail break 22.25
    22.32 programme return. Third ad/trail break 22.44.
    22.49 programme return. Fourth break (trails only) 22.56

Ep. 2 start 22.59. First ad break 23.12
    23.17 programme return. Second ad/trail break 23.27
    23.33 programme return. Third ad/trail break 23.44
    23.49 programme return. Ends 23.55.

I agree. If you feel you have a genuine complaint here then i suggest this gets reported. This is wrong.

If the above is true, that's ridiculous!
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DVD is out soon so you be better off waiting for that.

I've practically given up watching TV on TV now unless its sport, news or a show on BBC.

It doesn't help that a show is now 40 mins when it used to be 50 mins. Although when an old show is repeated they rather than show 10 mins of ads they edit the episode to still fit in 20 mins of adverts.

Its ridiculous.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They should really schedule it in a 55 minute slot if they're having to pad it out with so many promos to fill the hour. A 40 minute programme + 12 minutes of adverts leaves 8 minutes to fill with promos, which is quite excessive.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should really schedule it in a 55 minute slot if they're having to pad it out with so many promos to fill the hour. A 40 minute programme + 12 minutes of adverts leaves 8 minutes to fill with promos, which is quite excessive.

They keep it at an hour because it's good to get switch overs and it ensures programmes start on the hour.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely you should expect this sort of thing from Channel 5, the most incompetent broadcaster in the UK. There aren't many new lows they can still have.

5* is and always has been a terrible channel because the people at Channel 5 are clueless *cough Ben Frow *cough.