Robin Williams Films

occyoccy Posts: 65,029
Forum Member
✭✭
Best Robin Williams Films. So many too decide so just done 10.

Best Robin Williams Films? 65 votes

Mrs Doubtfire
36% 24 votes
Good Morning Vietnam
6% 4 votes
Aladdin
13% 9 votes
Jumanji
6% 4 votes
Dead Poets Society
13% 9 votes
Night at the Museum
0% 0 votes
Happy Feet
0% 0 votes
Bicentennial Man
6% 4 votes
Flubber
0% 0 votes
Good Will Hunting
16% 11 votes

Comments

• RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Hour Photo and Insomnia are the only two I liked......
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it's The Fisher King, which surprisingly isn't on the list! Re-watched it last night, love it. Haven't seen any of the (what I would call) children's films on the list.
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta be Aladdin for me. It was just a really great, fun movie and unlike some of these modern day Pixar movies, it didn't try too hard to be too deep or have a deep moral message.
    Mrs Doubtfire was hilarious, but just has something missing for it to be one of the greats.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    For me it's The Fisher King, which surprisingly isn't on the list! Re-watched it last night, love it. Haven't seen any of the (what I would call) children's films on the list.

I would have voted Fisher King too, he's just magnificent in that film.

I voted Aladdin because his genie really made that film and it's one of my favourite childhood movies that I still watch from time to time and still enjoy just as much.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One Hour Photo, The Fisher King, The World According To Garp, Insomnia, Awakenings and The Butler should be on that list as well.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Hour Photo, The Fisher King, The World According To Garp, Insomnia, Awakenings and The Butler should be on that list as well.
    You edited to add Garp, or I would have suggested it.

The opening credits for that film are accompanied by the song "When I'm sixty four", which seems rather poignant now.

Not sure what the execrable Bicentennial Man is doing in the OP's list.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    You edited to add Garp, or I would have suggested it.

The opening credits for that film are accompanied by the song "When I'm sixty four", which seems rather poignant now.

Not sure what the execrable Bicentennial Man is doing in the OP's list.

I like Bicentennial Man :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insomnia for me. He didn't make that many good films. I'd like to give Popeye a rewatch, though.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful list, some glaring omissions.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumanji is my favourite. Wonderful, magical film with a good heart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    Jumanji is my favourite. Wonderful, magical film with a good heart.

Jumanji scared the living crap out of me when I was a kid. Absolutely love the film but the premise is very creepy when you think about it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jumanji scared the living crap out of me when I was a kid. Absolutely love the film but the premise is very creepy when you think about it :D

It's on now on Sky One followed by Awakenings at 10pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on now on Sky One followed by Awakenings at 10pm.

Yeah I noticed, though I already own the DVD. If I have the time I might check out Awakenings (which I've never seen)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I noticed, though I already own the DVD. If I have the time I might check out Awakenings (which I've never seen)

It's a good film. A bit too saccharin sweet and soppy. In the hands of a different director, it would have been a better film as it's based on a true story. I prefer Robins performance to De Niros which received an Oscar nomination.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He didn't make many good films did he? :D Good Will Hunting probably the best for me with Insomnia also worth a mention. As for the rest... ^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    He didn't make many good films did he? :D Good Will Hunting probably the best for me with Insomnia also worth a mention. As for the rest... ^_^

Have you seen The Fisher King, The World According To Garp, One Hour Photo or The Birdcage?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good film. A bit too saccharin sweet and soppy. In the hands of a different director, it would have been a better film as it's based on a true story. I prefer Robins performance to De Niros which received an Oscar nomination.

Sounds interesting (I'm not really not that bothered about sentimentality like some people are, sentimentality when done right however). I hate using the term 'stealing the show' but he almost did it in Insomnia with the legend that is Al Pacino.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting (I'm not really not that bothered about sentimentality like some people are, sentimentality when done right however). I hate using the term 'stealing the show' but he almost did it in Insomnia with the legend that is Al Pacino.

It think it will be even more moving watching it knowing he has passed away.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished watching 'One Hour Photo', which is a film I'd already seen half a dozen times. Think he's terrific in that one.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From that list, Good Will Hunting.

Can't believe Mrs Doubtfire has taken an early lead, I hate that film.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wasn't one of actors I enjoyed watching (he's on my list in actors-you-abor threads, for goodness sake), but I did see and appreciate that he made a serious effort to pour himself into some of his roles. I think his most memorable roles are:

The Fisher King (still a surprise as I generally don't like Terry Gilliam's films. It's Jeff Bridges that got me to see it)
    Good Morning, Vietnam (obnoxious at times, but fun)
    Dead Poets Society (sentimental as hell, but I enjoyed it)
    Good Will Hunting (ditto somewhat)

I haven't seen One Hour Photo and Mrs Doubtfire, but have heard a lot of praise for his performances in those films.

Edited:
    What Dreams May Come is a film I never want to watch again.
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    He was terrific in Dead Poets Society too. And so many iconic moments and quotes in that film!
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His voice over in Aladdin is just fantastic, I love it! Even though it's an animation, he makes it his own! :cool:
  • nesparoonesparoo Posts: 1,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred him straight in films such as one hour photo to his comedic roles, rewatched Fisher King tonight definitely one of his finest performances