Sky Anytine + with Virgin Broadband

p-gibsonp-gibson Posts: 305
Forum Member
Does anyone know of any plans to offer AT+ with other internet providers?
Think its a bit unfair that you need Sky broadband? Little bit of a monopoly.. What if you have bad speeds down the telephone line.
I have Virgin 50mb and really done want to change to sky. Is there any ways around this? As would really like the option of AT+

Thanks

Comments

• Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no timeline as of when it will be available to customers of other ISPs.

There's no way around it at present. Anytime+ is only available with Sky Broadband
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p-gibson wrote: »
    Think its a bit unfair that you need Sky broadband? Little bit of a monopoly.. What if you have bad speeds down the telephone line.

VM are not different, to get their on demand service, you need a fixed line connection to their servers, you cannot do it through any other broadband connectors.

It just happens that with Sky, the fixed connection is their broadband line.
  • p-gibsonp-gibson Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    I currently have Virign media TV and you dont need there broadband service to get the on demand.
  • mat.ralphmat.ralph Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VM are not different, to get their on demand service, you need a fixed line connection to their servers, you cannot do it through any other broadband connectors.

It just happens that with Sky, the fixed connection is their broadband line.

I don't think that's a fair comparison really, for Sky AT+ the fixed line could technically be another broadband provider and you can get Virgin on demand even if your broadband is with someone else.

I think It's more to do with having complete control of all aspects of the service while it's still in it's infancy, (plus the obvious advantages of tempting people to switch BB to Sky)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I currently have Virign media TV and you dont need there broadband service to get the on demand.

mat.ralph wrote: »
    I don't think that's a fair comparison really, for Sky AT+ the fixed line could technically be another broadband provider and you can get Virgin on demand even if your broadband is with someone else.

I never once said you needed broadband with VM to get their on demand service, i said you needed a physocal connection, it just happens thats how they supply their TV anyway.

With Sky, their TV comes through satellite, which is not a physical connection, so you can't do on demand that way, so the only way to get a physical connection is through their broadband.
  • mat.ralphmat.ralph Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never once said you needed broadband with VM to get their on demand service, i said you needed a physocal connection, it just happens thats how they supply their TV anyway.

With Sky, their TV comes through satellite, which is not a physical connection, so you can't do on demand that way, so the only way to get a physical connection is through their broadband.

Trust me, I know how both Sky TV and Anytime+ are delivered.
    The point I was making was that SKY Broadband is not technically the ONLY way to deliver Anytime+, it is only exclusively available that way because Sky have decided so.

And the two points I made illustrate why the comparison you made is irrelevant. Those factors do not limit Anytime+ to Sky Broadband, Sky do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same deal with BT Vision - you need BT Broadband.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    As i've said in other threads the issue here is bandwidth, not on your BB line, but on the actual netowrk of your ISP. I'm sure if your an independant ISP then your not going to like your network being overrun by terabytes of data / per month / per user (and yes thats the amount some will use especially if they get it working in HD) Your therefore going to increase the wholesale costs of access to the internet. If you limit it to your own network then VOD as opposed to the broardcast model of transmitting TV then the internet will grind to a halt as it is at the moment - and just consider the number of servers that will be required to do it - Thats why you can't get it of Sky BB - I know its hard for those who can't get sky BB, but untill all the ISP's get together and sort this out then its going to be limited to their own networks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye you don't want to be in the middle of watching the latest premiere only for it to have to stop to buffer because your ISP has throttled your bandwidth to the point the download can't keep up!

Considering this is the future of TV, a lot of ISPs need to evolve (by investing in upgraded infrastructure) or die.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Virgin 50mb and really done want to change to sky. Is there any ways around this? As would really like the option of AT+

Thanks

I'm not sure how you could successfully argue that it's a monopolistic attitude; Virgin have the same capability to provide services similar to Anytime +; they'd probably merely need to pony up money for licensing permission from the networks they'd wish to carry in order to do so - that's unlikely.

I understand where you're coming from - sky anytime+ was one of the reasons I switched from Virgin to sky and even took the hit of 30mb on my broadband speed (well. that and sky atlantic) to do so...I have to say though, on the whole it's a much superior service, and I'm glad it's a customer exclusive service. The sad truth is, you probably won't get the service, because in an attitude typical of virgin media, they like to cut corners and maximise profits at the expense of the customer.
  • DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As i've said in other threads the issue here is bandwidth, not on your BB line, but on the actual netowrk of your ISP...
    I don't understand this arguement, please explain how most (if not all) ISP's manage to cope with other video on demand services, but somehow wouldn't mange to cope with Sky Anytime+?

Examples of other VOD services:

BBC iPlayer
    4 On Demand
    Demand 5
    STV Player
    ITV Player
    Youtube
    etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not being funny i am with sky at the minute and anytime + is nowhere as good as the VM on demand content
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skhwoody wrote: »
    not being funny i am with sky at the minute and anytime + is nowhere as good as the VM on demand content

Then you don't know where to look :p
  • PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mat.ralph wrote: »
    Trust me, I know how both Sky TV and Anytime+ are delivered.
    The point I was making was that SKY Broadband is not technically the ONLY way to deliver Anytime+, it is only exclusively available that way because Sky have decided so.

And the two points I made illustrate why the comparison you made is irrelevant. Those factors do not limit Anytime+ to Sky Broadband, Sky do.

obviously you dont know how it is delivered
    SKY and BT use servers in your local exchange to stream AT+ connected to their backhaul network back to the servers
    which is why you need sky bb if they allowed every isp to use the service they would have to send it accross the global internet using up bandwidth
  • TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    obviously you dont know how it is delivered
    SKY and BT use servers in your local exchange to stream AT+ connected to their backhaul network back to the servers
    which is why you need sky bb if they allowed every isp to use the service they would have to send it accross the global internet using up bandwidth

Almost. BT and TalkTalk use video servers in exchanges which is why you NEED to have their broadband services for them to deliver instantly OD content at a button's push. On the other hand Sky AT+ doesn't - they use PDL (progressive download), which is different to the instant VOD VM, BT and TalkTalk do as it needs buffering onto a HDD before playing. PDL can be used with any ISP and I'm sure Sky mentioned to one of the magazines which previewed AT+ that they would introduce it to others as the service develops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technix wrote: »
    Almost. BT and TalkTalk use servers in exchanges which is why you NEED to have their broadband services to stream OD content at a button's push. On the other hand Sky AT+ doesn't - they use PDL, which is different to the instant VOD VM, BT and TalkTalk do as it needs buffering onto a HDD before playing. This can be used with any ISP and I'm sure Sky mentioned to one of them magazines which previwed AT+ that they would introduce it to others as the service develops.

so why did they upgrade all there exchange equipment to msan's

I hope your right as I need a static ip and thus sky cant supply one so have to use an alternative but want AT+
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    msan's are dsl links to move video audio and internet from london to the local exchange over their backbone without flooding the general internet with it
    bt vision and tiscali use them which is why ther services only work on the respective providers broadband
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Sky ever offer
    BBCiplayer
    ITVplayer
    CH4od

etc. etc....................

I just find it bizzare :confused:
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member

Thanks

Just get a BT Phone Line installed, free on a 5 year contract and ask Sky for their Sky Unlimited Broadband package and you can get Sky Anytime+ activated,
    it all depends on if you can afford it though, I recently found out that it is the same price if you have Sky Talk or not with Sky Broadband Unlimited

Calculation - Sky Talk Unlimited £5 a month + Sky Broadband Unlimited £7.50 a month = £12.50 a month, the same price as just the Sky Broadband Unlimited package

Here are the details of BT's free Installation offer http://business.bt.com/asset-library/phone-services/FLC_FL_pricing%20download.pdf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just get a BT Phone Line installed, free on a 5 year contract and ask Sky for their Sky Unlimited Broadband package and you can get Sky Anytime+ activated,
    it all depends on if you can afford it though, I recently found out that it is the same price if you have Sky Talk or not with Sky Broadband Unlimited

Calculation - Sky Talk Unlimited £5 a month + Sky Broadband Unlimited £7.50 a month = £12.50 a month, the same price as just the Sky Broadband Unlimited package

Here are the details of BT's free Installation offer http://business.bt.com/asset-library/phone-services/FLC_FL_pricing%20download.pdf

Did you even read the post?

They have VM 50MB, and do not want to change to Sky Broadband, nothing to do with cost (as tehy are paying more anyway), it's to do with SPEED!!

Try reading Joshua, you are becoming a liability on these forums :mad:
  • Dave_HertsDave_Herts Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I left Sky due to this, must say i find VM's on demand very good along with the catch up services we can also get. I do feel for those SKY customers who subsidise Anytime + for everybody else.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Did you even read the post?

They have VM 50MB, and do not want to change to Sky Broadband, nothing to do with cost (as tehy are paying more anyway), it's to do with SPEED!!

Try reading Joshua, you are becoming a liability on these forums :mad:

Who said anything about changing from Virgin to Sky,
    they can keep their Virgin Broadband service and just add the free Sky Broadband pack to their Sky subscription and they can get Sky Anytime+,
    the problem now is sorting out the Line Rental as both Sky and BT insist on annual line rental payments to get the best deal(s)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who said anything about changing from Virgin to Sky,
    they can keep their Virgin Broadband service and just add the free Sky Broadband pack to their Sky subscription and they can get Sky Anytime+,
    the problem now is sorting out the Line Rental as both Sky and BT insist on annual line rental payments to get the best deal(s)

I think someone would have to be pretty stupid to have both VM broadband and Sky broadband, just to get Anytime+.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VM getting Anytime+ this year
    http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Sky-anytime-on-Virgin-media/td-p/623187

Read the full thread.

Bit of a blow for Sky World subscribers with other ISP's
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VM getting Anytime+ this year
    http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Sky-anytime-on-Virgin-media/td-p/623187

Read the full thread.

Bit of a blow for Sky World subscribers with other ISP's

VM already do VOD, this is just them getting more content on THEIR boxes, nothing to do with getting Anytime+ on a Sky box through VM.