Options

Breaking Bad - sell it to me (and without spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Good points - interesting premise, interesting characters
    Bad points - rather predictable, constant weird shaky cam, slow paced

After ONE episode?

Oh go away and watch NCIS or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but people who expect to be absolutely sold on a show after just the first episode when the whole thing spans about 5 seasons drive me potty. Stop being so demanding and critical, and watch it properly instead of demanding to be 100% entertained on your own terms from the opening episode.

Some pilots are just so awful you know you'll hate show (see Mixology for a recent example), but BB's wasn't that bad.

I often judge shows based solely on Pilots because I don't have the time to watch every episode...
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    After ONE episode?

Oh go away and watch NCIS or something.

Oh dear. Calm down, it's only a TV show.

So I've just finished season 1 (7 eps). So far:

Good points: interesting characters and premise, good humour, enjoy the predicaments the characters find themselves in, Aaron Paul's character far more interesting (and easier to relate to) than Walter. I like the relationship between Walter and Jesse. I like the world building, the tone and the lack of score music is effective.

Bad points: very, very, very predictable, on the nose, preachy in places, extremely poor, stereotypical female characters, cancer storyline way too depressing and keeps rearing it's ugly head with each cough, tablet and doctor appointment

So far it feels very much like a set up for the characters as opposed to building to anything and at 7 episodes the "set up" is too long. Too much character study and not enough plot points/topical events/narrative when an equal amount would be better. So far not living up to the hype. I'm hoping the later seasons will be worth the wait.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like a lot of stuff from the US cable networks, very overrated, it's like some viewers just pine for something raw and grittier, then go nuts for it on the internet whenever something half decent comes along, usually with boobs and sex scenes attached. They remind me of movie critics in that regard.

I liked it though, but wouldn't put it up there with the best tv shows (lost, 24, x-files etc)
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    ...also - the other main character Jesse Pinkman who is a small time meth dealer is just such a likeable kid , who actually has more conscience than all the others, his relationship with Walt is the backbone of the show , and the things they go thru ... well you'll see .

And they were going to kill off Jesse Pinkman at the end of season one! :o

Thank God for the writer's strike that gave them thinking time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "very, very, very predictable"

HA HA HA keep going as there isn't a hope in hell of you working out where it is going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Breaking Bad may turn into the next Firefly or Community, where fans constant yammering harms the show, because there is nothing more annoying than a load of people telling you how amazing something is and that you should watch it all the time...

Don't get me, I like Firefly, Community and what I've seen of BB, but the fans are doing the shows a disservice by being so bloody annoying...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However there is an episode early in S2 ('Grilled'? I think) that was probably the originally intended ending point of the first season - which was cut short by the writer's strike. This is an excellent episode and is more similar in tone to the superior seasons that follow. I would recommend anyone prepared to give this show a genuinely fair shot to watch up until this episode and decide from there.

Just watched this episode and I found it to be very mediocre. Maybe it's because I'm a Buffy fan and so have very high standards when it comes to writing?.
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this episode and I found it to be very mediocre. Maybe it's because I'm a Buffy fan and so have very high standards when it comes to writing?.

Or maybe it is just because you seem determined to dislike the show (even though you seem to be ploughing through the episodes at a decent pace).

Also... Buffy? :o:D Perhaps you need to watch a few more adult shows before you are properly ready for Breaking Bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Breaking Bad may turn into the next Firefly or Community, where fans constant yammering harms the show, because there is nothing more annoying than a load of people telling you how amazing something is and that you should watch it all the time...

Don't get me, I like Firefly, Community and what I've seen of BB, but the fans are doing the shows a disservice by being so bloody annoying...

So basically only you should be allowed to come on here and post your little digs about BB but everyone else is not allowed to post the opposite.

Figures!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vol wrote: »
    Or maybe it is just because you seem determined to dislike the show (even though you seem to be ploughing through the episodes at a decent pace).

Also... Buffy? :o:D Perhaps you need to watch a few more adult shows before you are properly ready for Breaking Bad.

Yes wait until they get to the episode where Heisenberg and nice Mr Fring drag up, drink each other's blood and do their 30 minute song and dance tribute to glee!

Apart from that, Breaking Bad is an adult show for adults, not whizz bang teen cult.
  • Options
    elliejayeelliejaye Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I am quiet upset with myself that i have yet to see one single episode of BB.
    I normally consider myself a tv series junkie, its normally me telliing people to watch these shows, i watch pretty much most of them when they first come out, i.e Lost, heroes, The sopranos, up to recent yrs ones like The Walking Dead, AHS etc, etc. this is perhaps my very reason why I not yet seen BB..

Think I will start tomorrow night, as I do not know one person who says its crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vol wrote: »

What is it with some BB fans? It's like you're possessed or something; turning into angry maniacs the moment anybody says anything bad about it. Jeez. If you're so secure about how great BB is then a few little critiques from me shouldn't ruin your enjoyment or mean it's any less good.

btw Buffy has excellent writing. Adult doesn't necessarily equate to "better". There are many adult, realistic dramas out there and they're poor. It's all about the writing not the genre or target demographic.

And I'm not determined to dislike the show - I want nothing more than to drink that cool aid but I feel like I'm hanging in there. I'm told season 3 & 4 are best so if I don't like season 3 then I'll give up on it.
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with some BB fans? It's like you're possessed or something; turning into angry maniacs the moment anybody says anything bad about it. Jeez. If you're so secure about how great BB is then a few little critiques from me shouldn't ruin your enjoyment or mean it's any less good.

btw Buffy has excellent writing. Adult doesn't necessarily equate to "better". There are many adult, realistic dramas out there and they're poor. It's all about the writing not the genre or target demographic.

And I'm not determined to dislike the show - I want nothing more than to drink that cool aid but I feel like I'm hanging in there. I'm told season 3 & 4 are best so if I don't like season 3 then I'll give up on it.

I'm not angry at all. If you aren't enjoying BB then that is fair enough, just from reading your posts here I think you would benefit from watching it with a more positive frame of mind is all. I appreciate that the show has no doubt been hyped to such levels that it could be easy to be disappointed.

For me personally writing isn't everything. Cinematography, acting, tension and tone are important factors in my enjoyment of a series too. It would take more than just a bunch of characters sitting in a room exchanging witty/brilliant dialogue to keep me entertained.

I would concur that S3-S4 is the show's peak (not to say that I think S5 is bad). I'm glad that you are prepared to keep watching and I sincerely hope you like these seasons as much as I did. I envy you for having the time to persist with a show that you don't seem to be enjoying all that much, not everyone has that luxury ;-).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    elliejaye wrote: »
    I am quiet upset with myself that i have yet to see one single episode of BB.
    I normally consider myself a tv series junkie, its normally me telliing people to watch these shows, i watch pretty much most of them when they first come out, i.e Lost, heroes, The sopranos, up to recent yrs ones like The Walking Dead, AHS etc, etc. this is perhaps my very reason why I not yet seen BB..

Think I will start tomorrow night, as I do not know one person who says its crap.

Why be upset with yourself? Many of us would swap positions with you in and instant to be able to go back and watch it again for the first time.

You are in a great position with something wonderful awaiting you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly what I was talking about, some people have it in their head that something has to be gritty and sleazy for it to be adult tv. They are the reason why you can't go two minutes in GoT without nudity or a sex scene. Sad.

Slagging off buffy, one of the most influential tv shows of the modern era, is silly. But I'm not getting involved in this argument, because as I've said, I liked BB. Just clearly not as much as some.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. Calm down, it's only a TV show.

So I've just finished season 1 (7 eps). So far:

Good points: interesting characters and premise, good humour, enjoy the predicaments the characters find themselves in, Aaron Paul's character far more interesting (and easier to relate to) than Walter. I like the relationship between Walter and Jesse. I like the world building, the tone and the lack of score music is effective.

Bad points: very, very, very predictable, on the nose, preachy in places, extremely poor, stereotypical female characters, cancer storyline way too depressing and keeps rearing it's ugly head with each cough, tablet and doctor appointment

So far it feels very much like a set up for the characters as opposed to building to anything and at 7 episodes the "set up" is too long. Too much character study and not enough plot points/topical events/narrative when an equal amount would be better. So far not living up to the hype. I'm hoping the later seasons will be worth the wait.

I'm surprised you say that . Can I ask - when they had the dillema of what to do with the drug dealer tied up in the basement did you know how it would pan out , the plate etc. ? because I didn't , and what happened to the dead guy they had to dispose of - that was hilariously brilliant .

I actually think season 2 is the best and it has some of the very best Jesse episodes .

I'd comment on what you think is lacking but don't want to be spoilery , just to say that it's very much a character based drama , it's not like a 'crime plot' each week , altho there is a lot of subterfuge and stuff about how they evade being arrested , it's more about the levels of morality they have to compromise etc.

• Options
    Forum Member
    So basically only you should be allowed to come on here and post your little digs about BB but everyone else is not allowed to post the opposite.

Figures!

No, you're welcome to like the show, and post about how much you like the show (I feel obliged to point out I also like what I have seen of the show and plan to finish it at some point) but the way people have slagged other people off for not enjoying it as much as them, or finding the first few episodes boring, doesn't come across well.

I was, however, primarily referring to the level of discussion about Breaking Bad, there's a level of hype and chatter that just becomes annoying. I've heard so much praise about Breaking Bad, I'm starting to become slightly sick of hearing about it, in the same way the first Hunger Games film and more recently, Anchorman 2 were talked about so much, you became sick of hearing about them...

It wasn't intended as an attack on Breaking Bad or it's fans, just a warning that they may wish to tone it down if they don't wish to become annoying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised you say that . Can I ask - when they had the dillema of what to do with the drug dealer tied up in the basement did you know how it would pan out , the plate etc. ? because I didn't , and what happened to the dead guy they had to dispose of - that was hilariously brilliant .

I actually think season 2 is the best and it has some of the very best Jesse episodes .

I'd comment on what you think is lacking but don't want to be spoilery , just to say that it's very much a character based drama , it's not like a 'crime plot' each week , altho there is a lot of subterfuge and stuff about how they evade being arrested , it's more about the levels of morality they have to compromise etc.

It's one of the least predictable shows I've seen. Most episodes I couldn't guess what was going to happen.
  • Options
    BigPatBigPat Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Breaking Bad, one of my favourite shows ever, could be alternately frustrating, manipulative, enigmatic, detailed, and thematic. I can't think of another show with an anti-hero like Walter. From the outset you're firmly on his side. Even late into S5, when he's turned into the person both he and we never thought he'd become, there would still be a part of us that wanted him to succeed, and then you'd feel almost guilty about it.

Walter was surrounded by believable characters: a son with cerebral palsy (which I was CERTAIN would turn into a plot point and never was, to the show's eternal credit); a wife who, in her own way took the same journey as Walter; a brother-in-law with his own, very real, weaknesses; a lawyer who brightened up every scene he was in, and many more.

Breaking Bad had my favourite episode of a TV show ever (Ozymandias), and one of my least favourites (The Fly). It had entire periods where nothing seemed to happen - and then you realised that things had changed, but the show didn't underline the changes.

After watching a few episodes, you'll realise just how incredibly well-written the show is. There are no loose ends. Seemingly incidental things turn out, several episodes down the line, to be very important indeed. There are times you'll need to pay attention because of them. "How did he know that?", you'll ask, and then you'll remember something, maybe a season before, that explains it. (Or you might not remember, and you'll go to a forum to be reminded!)

I've never known a series like BB. I nearly gave up on it twice. Once near the end of S1, and once after The Fly in S3 (I think it was S3.) I didn't, and I'm so glad I didn't. It certainly isn't for everyone, and that's fine. There are some amazing shows that I just couldn't love - The Wire, for example - but if you're looking for a smart, blackly comic tale, you have to give it a go. Plus, you regularly get to see Bryan Cranston in his tighty-whiteys, which is about the funniest appearance a criminal could be.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only just discovered this fantastic series a couple of weeks ago thanks to Netflix and the praise from DS forum members. All I can say is THANK YOU!! I know the show has ended now but I have dozens of episodes to watch and I'm sure I will enjoy every one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Fly
    Yes the Fly episode was laudably the most bizarre thing I have ever seen, but if you watch it as the bigger picture, it clearly shows Walt's obsessiveness with that everything goes his way or not at all. The fly is the annoyance of everyone else and a contaminant that needs to be removed at all and any cost. This then pans out later with his obsession with killing Gus and in poisoning Brock and in many other things. Even at the very start he is not content in just making some meth to sell to make money, it has to be the best, most pure meth that can be made. All and everything obsession with controlling everything his way or no way.

So if you watch the fly in context with everything else, in flows, but not as an stand alone entertaining episode. The dialogue with Jesse is comic in most parts and towards the end he get so close to telling Jesse what he did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If some don't understand Breaking Bad and they don't like it, then maybe they should tread lightly!

:D
  • Options
    BigPatBigPat Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    The Fly
    Yes the Fly episode was laudably the most bizarre thing I have ever seen, but if you watch it as the bigger picture, it clearly shows Walt's obsessiveness with that everything goes his way or not at all. The fly is the annoyance of everyone else and a contaminant that needs to be removed at all and any cost. This then pans out later with his obsession with killing Gus and in poisoning Brock and in many other things. Even at the very start he is not content in just making some meth to sell to make money, it has to be the best, most pure meth that can be made. All and everything obsession with controlling everything his way or no way.

So if you watch the fly in context with everything else, in flows, but not as an stand alone entertaining episode. The dialogue with Jesse is comic in most parts and towards the end he get so close to telling Jesse what he did.

Nice post. I agree with your analysis but, heavens, I wish they'd done it a different way!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. That's one of the things that I found predictable and it's all in the writing. The entire episode was about Walter delaying the inevitable and being in denial. He knew deep down that the drug dealer was going to kill him the moment he let him go but he needed an excuse not to off him and satisfy his own conscience. I found the whole flashback thing "there must be something more?" followed by "what about the soul?" to be really unsubtle and predictable as well.

Also, the whole starting the episode with the end editing is something a show should really only pull once in a season but the writers here utilised that method about 20 times since I started watching.