Old stuff they used to have at school you remember?

Comments

• SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    I remember in secondary school, one thing they didn't have was soap, disgusting

They had those liquid soap dispenser ones at my school. People used to pull the lever about 100 times till there was a little pile of soap on the sink.

The alternative were the ones you turned upside down to get the soap out. In theory they were balanced to return to the upright position, but nothing that a paper-towel wedge wouldn't prevent. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    At my primary school they had some strange obsession with toilet roll rationing. They'd give you 3-5 single strips to go to the toilet with. Bizarre stuff. I know TP isn't free, but really? God help you if you had a runny day. I was overweight too, which resulted in a larger surface area.

I remember penis inspection day, too. That was embarrassing.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    jsands wrote: »
    At my primary school they had some strange obsession with toilet roll rationing. They'd give you 3-5 single strips to go to the toilet with. Bizarre stuff. I know TP isn't free, but really? God help you if you had a runny day. I was overweight too, which resulted in a larger surface area.

I think the paper rationing was more to do with stopping all us oiks blocking every toilet with it if we had unlimited supplies.

Toilet paper also made fabulous wet pellets for blowing through a biro shell. Aimed at the blackboard they would make quite a lovely pattern until the teacher realised what was happening.
    If one had time one could munch up a large wet 'super pellet' [about 2 inches worth]. This would be thrown up against the ceiling over where the teacher stood with some force, making it stick to the surface. At some time during the day. it would dry enough to fall, hopefully on the teacher at the time.
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member

:o What sort of school did you go to?
    Forum Member
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    :o What sort of school did you go to?

You didn't have penis inspection day?

:confused:
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I remember one of the reception clases (there were 2) at my school had one of those beautiful old fashioned rocking horses.
    http://www.classicrockinghorses.co.uk/ImagesAnt/Freweb.jpg

I thought it was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen - whenever I walked by the class I was mesmerised by it. Unfortunately being a 'November' birthday and an older starter I was never in that class and never got to go on it though.

We did have a sand and wet tray though - It gave offf a very distinctive smell.

reading back on some of my replies, an awful lot of them mention the smells.

certain smells are very evocative - school was full of the from the boiled cabbage at dinner time to the wet steaming raincoats/overcoats and wellies in the cold cloakrooms.

School was positively FULL of different smells.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats like the rocking horse we had in our class when I first started school.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member

We had penis and balls inspection days. Some woman bought in from somewhere who squeezed all the boys private parts. I hated it - "right, trousers and pants down please".
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    We had penis and balls inspection days. Some woman bought in from somewhere who squeezed all the boys private parts. I hated it - "right, trousers and pants down please".

Sounds about right.

Slightly different varying on places though. At my school it was generally the same teacher for a few different boys. The rest were with different people I always assumed. Generally we were encouraged not to speak to our parents for obvious reasons. We all know how conservative parents these days can be when it comes to health issues.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember drinking the small bottles of milk during break time.
  • laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    We used to play
    "Go and tell Aunt Mary
    Go and tell Aunt Mary
    Go and tell Aunt Mary
    The old grey goose is dead"

I've often wondered what Aunt Mary did to that poor goose....:cry:

I've only just found this thread and working my way thru it - up to about page 17 at the moment. Brilliant!

The tune I remember playing on the recorder was "Little bird, I have heard, what a merry song you sing" and heard my neighbour's daughter practising it in the garden about 20 years later!

My worst memory of school is one of my primary teachers, she picked on me because I was quiet and shy as a kid and I was terrified of her. These days she'd be unemployable. Mind you she was quite old and still a "Miss" so probably a frustrated spinster looking for someone to take her bitterness out on (pardon the grammar!)

I got bullied and teased by other kids too, for the same reason. Fast forward a few years and I had a Saturday job at Woollies. A new lady started who turned out to be the mother of a boy who, although I wouldn't call him a bully exactly, used to pick on me mercilessly and because he was one of the popular ones, all his mates would follow what he did. Anyway I told his mum about this and she couldn't believe it (naturally). The following Saturday she told me that she'd mentioned it to him and his answer was "We didn't mean it, it was just because she was shy" :o:o

Sorry for the sob story, LOL. It took me years to conquer my shyness and now I think I've gone too far the other way :D
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

I sincerely hope the woman was a medical professional and there were sound reasons for this? Otherwise the police should be getting involved!
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    I sincerely hope the woman was a medical professional and there were sound reasons for this? Otherwise the police should be getting involved!

I'm sure she was. There was a spate in the late 70's where the 'health authority' had a bee in its bonnet about 'correct development' in that area.
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused::o:confused: Not something I came across (sorry!) in my schoolboy career, thankfully.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I'm sure she was. There was a spate in the late 70's where the 'health authority' had a bee in its bonnet about 'correct development' in that area.

Yeah, I remember this from my last year at primary school ('77-'78). All the boys in the class were really worried about it and we all hoped it wouldn't be us.

Cue, one day, the teacher coming in after a break and saying "Kodos, can you go and see the nurse, please" and the the rest of the class turning round and giving me pitying looks. I was terrified and shaking like a leaf on my way there but when I knocked on the door and was let in I found my mum in there with the nurse and all they wanted to check out was my feet :D
  • cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knocking on the staff room door and when it was opened being engulfed in a cloud of tobacco smoke.

Funny! I can remember that toone!

Just remembered the mash potato being dished up at dinner time. I don't think I'd ever seen one of those silver scoops which turned the potato into round balls. I was fascinated by it as there was a lever on the handle which when squeezed produced the perfect spheres. Hated the potato though and had never tasted anything like it.was it reconstituted? Those were the days that my dad grew all our vegetables so had never had to eat anything from a packet it tin. I am still fascinated by kitchen implements and have more than I could ever need.😳
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Needlework classes and at the end of the class having to put all the chairs on the desk and picking up pins from the floor ☺
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a school trip at infant school.getting a coach to bristol zoo.soggy cheese and tomato sandwiches (yummy!) and seeing polar bears and Wendy the elephant who was led around the zoo by the keeper.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    shorthand and typing classes.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ron_J wrote: »
    :confused::o:confused: Not something I came across (sorry!) in my schoolboy career, thankfully.

Nor me, why? in the Army it was called "short arm inspection":D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

did you play pinwhistle too?
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granny's Garden
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    What a brilliant idea. Lines were/are rather pointless - at least that got the old grey matter working had some educational value.

I remember having to write out incorrect spellings ten times under the heading 'Corrections' - I once spelt it corections and was ridiculed in front of the whole class. Never got it wrong since though;-)

I remember having to write spelling mistakes ten times as well but at least it meant I didn't get them wrong again. I hear that they don't use lines anymore as writing shouldn't be seen as a punishment
    Computers with Windows 95 thinking we were so advanced

I remember my school getting its first computer-a BBC Micro
    Needlework classes and at the end of the class having to put all the chairs on the desk and picking up pins from the floor ☺

Not to pick up pins but I remember putting our chairs on the table everyday before going home to make it easier for the cleaners.

Here are a few more memories (probably already mentioned but here goes)

Last day of term-not having to wear uniform and being allowed to bring a 'quiet game'

Watching TV in the dining room-Words and Pictures, Seeing and Doing, ZigZag, How we used to Live

Swimming lessons-the pool never being ready on time, walking through a footbath before getting in-not sure how clean it was by the time everyone's feet had been through it. Eventually they decided that it cost too much and we went to the local leisure centre instead

Christmas-nativity plays, parties, films

Harvest Festival-elderly people in the area were invited and we used to bring cakes, fruit e.t.c. to make hampers for them to take home.

Will probably think of some more later :)
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    School assemblies in the hall taking place every morning and going on for ages.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I went to a grammer school and i remember our cleaners being the laziest ones in the world. It was quite a posh school so the pupils were generally well mannered so litter wasnt an issue.

When we started each week two pupils were in charge of tidying the form room. It had to be spotless after lunch which meant using the small hoover to get rid of any crumbs, and making sure the bin wasnt over full and that there was no litter.

Every single bloody term we had a speech by the headmaster about how the cleaners were complaining! We even got banned from eating inside except from the cramped canteen but they still moaned about their job.

I went to visit my grandparents one holiday who lived in a different county so their schools were still in. My grandad was a cleaner there and we went in with him one evening. The school was a bloody tip. Rubbish strew everywhere, graffiti on the outside walls, food everywhere and chewing gum stuck to tables and doors. By the end of the shift it looked completely different! I remember the cleaners being so friendly and unfazed by it and didnt mind at all because it was their job.

It definitely made my mind up about our cleaners who only had to run a hoover round! These cleaners had to move all the chairs, clean under then and the tables and do a lot more than ours ever did!