Is Peter Capaldi

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Earth would stop turning if you weren't rather disappointed, Kapellmeister. Balance must be maintained :)
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    The Earth would stop turning if you weren't rather disappointed, Kapellmeister. Balance must be maintained :)

It seems it's my burden in life :(
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest the OP find something they actually enjoy to pass the time on a Saturday night.

Capaldi hamming it up? Yeah. He's really turned the character into a simplistic one note clown who relies on sand shoes and catch phrases and fezzes and he's so so so sorry about everything.

Comedy gold.

Incredible leap of logic as well. Yeah. Capaldi clearly hates the show he's been dreaming of starring in which is being written by someone he obviously has massive respect for. I bet he rues the day he ever set foot in the Tardis because Anonymous Forum Angry Bloke said so.

The internet. Sometimes I wonder if it should ever have been invented at all.

I'm off to the Movies forum to post my incredibly insightful thread entitled 'Does Mark Ruffalo want to piss on Joss Whedons cornflakes because everything is so RUBBISH'. It is of course utter pish but this is the internet and goodness knows my ill informed opinion demands to be heard.
    Forum Member
    I would suggest the OP find something they actually enjoy to pass the time on a Saturday night.

Capaldi hamming it up? Yeah. He's really turned the character into a simplistic one note clown who relies on sand shoes and catch phrases and fezzes and he's so so so sorry about everything.

Comedy gold.

Incredible leap of logic as well. Yeah. Capaldi clearly hates the show he's been dreaming of starring in which is being written by someone he obviously has massive respect for. I bet he rues the day he ever set foot in the Tardis because Anonymous Forum Angry Bloke said so.

The internet. Sometimes I wonder if it should ever have been invented at all.

I'm off to the Movies forum to post my incredibly insightful thread entitled 'Does Mark Ruffalo want to piss on Joss Whedons cornflakes because everything is so RUBBISH'. It is of course utter pish but this is the internet and goodness knows my ill informed opinion demands to be heard.

How would you feel if you were expecting "Pyramids of Mars" and ended up with "Robot of Sherwood"...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would you feel if you were expecting "Pyramids of Mars" and ended up with "Robot of Sherwood"...

I would probably appreciate the fact that Pyramids of Mars was a classic that was preceded by and followed by plenty of episodes that were nowhere near that standard. i would understand that a nice bit of sweet knockabout fun has always been part of the show I loved. And then I would be proud that I got to star in an episode like 'Listen' and realize my dream had come true. Probably.
    Forum Member
    I would probably appreciate the fact that Pyramids of Mars was a classic that was preceded by and followed by plenty of episodes that were nowhere near that standard. i would understand that a nice bit of sweet knockabout fun has always been part of the show I loved. And then I would be proud that I got to star in an episode like 'Listen' and realize my dream had come true. Probably.

Unfortunately episodes like 'Listen' are few and far between. Most of the rest is just filler. Moffat has his moments of interest, although they're getting few and far between these days, but many of the writers on the show these days are, with the greatest of respect, little more than creatively moribund hacks with too many misses and not enough hits.

You can watch an entire series and there might be two or three episodes that really stand out, at the most. Take series 6. The only episodes that aspired to greatness were 'The Doctor's Wife', 'The God Complex' and 'The Girl Who Waited'. The rest veered from the watchable to the execrable. Considering that a series only lasts for 13 stories is it too much to ask for the great episodes come along a little more frequently?
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I actually feel the opposite. I think Capaldi's more low key approach (whilst not wrong or bad) shows up the weaknesses in the writing more because he's trying to rely on the character work and it just isn't there. The character lacks the depth and interest needed to play it like this.

Exactly. Capaldi's a great actor, but he's not being given good material to work with. The best of the writing is for Clara at the minute, and Jenna's making the most of it with some wonderful performances!
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    He isn't hamming anything up, he is the Doctor, and he is bringing it all back to life, making it watchable for the first time in 3 years,even the worst of scripts is brought alive by his passion of the role, long may he reign.

Au contraire, the worst of scripts is making his character even more jarring and confused. He hasn't been given anything to give him a chance to plant his version of the character in solid acting. Not a patch on Smith at the minute in my mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately episodes like 'Listen' are few and far between. Most of the rest is just filler. Moffat has his moments of interest, although they're getting few and far between these days, but many of the writers on the show these days are, with the greatest of respect, little more than creatively moribund hacks with too many misses and not enough hits.

You can watch an entire series and there might be two or three episodes that really stand out, at the most. Take series 6. The only episodes that aspired to greatness were 'The Doctor's Wife', 'The God Complex' and 'The Girl Who Waited'. The rest veered from the watchable to the execrable. Considering that a series only lasts for 13 stories is it too much to ask for the great episodes come along a little more frequently?

I pretty much agree about S6. I would add the opening two parter in there as well. But I'm loving this series. And would you argue there are any more really classic episodes in say S2 or S4? I wouldn't. Doctor Who has always been a bit hit and miss and New Who certainly has. I'm fine with that. The triumphs are so good it makes the average episodes perfectly fine. No series is ever perfect. And I would prefer erratic to mediocre.
    Forum Member
    I pretty much agree about S6. I would add the opening two parter in there as well. But I'm loving this series. And would you argue there are any more really classic episodes in say S2 or S4? I wouldn't. Doctor Who has always been a bit hit and miss and New Who certainly has. I'm fine with that. The triumphs are so good it makes the average episodes perfectly fine. No series is ever perfect. And I would prefer erratic to mediocre.

Oh not at all. New Who has always been very much miss for me, I'm afraid. I've loved stories like 'The Impossible Planet' (the closest, IMO, that the reboot has ever come to capturing the show's Classic vibe), 'Family of Blood', 'Midnight', etc. but the misses have outweighed the hits quite heavily. Series 4 and 5 were, for me, the most consistently good.

('The Impossible Astronaut' has been besmirched for me because it was the thing that started off the ridiculous series 6 arc. It was a good episode. I just wouldn't call it a classic like 'The Doctor's Wife'.)

Admittedly, nothing so far in series 8 has been as bad as 'The Doctor's Daughter' but there's still time!
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    What an odd reply.

I thought it was a brilliant reply
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I watch it now out of habit but I do agree that 90% of the time it's not 'good TV'. It just passes 45 minutes on a Saturday evening. Compared with something like 'The X Files' I find most of the post-2005 'Doctor Who' to be strangely mediocre lacking in flair, originality and intelligence. As someone said elsewhere, it's 'swish but pish'.

The X Files was nothing like Doctor Who, apart from being a sci-fi show, so I don't think it's fair to compare.

Remember it's a family show; all that's needed is a good adventure. Whilst it shouldn't be visually ugly, at times the style (both writing and visual) are very distracting.
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    The X Files was nothing like Doctor Who, apart from being a sci-fi show, so I don't think it's fair to compare.

Remember it's a family show; all that's needed is a good adventure. Whilst it shouldn't be visually ugly, at times the style (both writing and visual) are very distracting.

I was comparing the quality of the scripts more than the actual content of the shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    He isn't hamming anything up, he is the Doctor, and he is bringing it all back to life, making it watchable for the first time in 3 years,even the worst of scripts is brought alive by his passion of the role, long may he reign.

Spot on.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Capaldi but he's sort of faded into the background a bit. Seems more like Clara's in charge.

couldn't agree more, at the moment its the Clara show with the doctor in tow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more. I loved Matt Smith's Doctor and have really enjoyed the last 3 years, far more than I have enjoyed this season so far.

Speak for yourself. The jury is still very much out on Capaldi for me, he isn't annoying me as much as he did in the first couple of episodes, and even though I thought last week's Listen was good and Time Heist this week was OK, he still has a long way to go before I can actually say I'm enjoying it as much as previous series.

Agree with everything said here
    Forum Member
    I was comparing the quality of the scripts more than the actual content of the shows.

But it's not really comparing like with like. The X Files was a young adult/adult show; Doctor Who is a family show. It would be like saying Newsround isn't as hardhitting as Newsnight.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah - he's doing it cos he knows it winds-up annoying little dweebs with small willies.

Oh, that's a bit risqué, isn't it? You know that if you're rude in any way on here, you risk losing your DS account for a while.

Try reading the posting tips in future, before posting.

This is what they say:

- Please treat other users with respect.
    - Please ensure your reply is constructive and adds to the discussion.
    - Pointless posts will be removed and may result in you losing posting privileges.
    - To avoid misunderstandings, please don't use 'txt spk' and try to ensure your post is relatively typo-free.
    - Use the ALERT button to flag inappropriate posts rather than responding.
    Forum Member
    But it's not really comparing like with like. The X Files was a young adult/adult show; Doctor Who is a family show. It would be like saying Newsround isn't as hardhitting as Newsnight.

But there's no reason why the quality of the journalism can't be as good on Newsround as it is on Newsnight? The audience might be different, yes, but quality will out.
    Forum Member
    But there's no reason why the quality of the journalism can't be as good on Newsround as it is on Newsnight? The audience might be different, yes, but quality will out.

Of course but you would measure that quality in a different way.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Of course but you would measure that quality in a different way.

To quote Einstein - “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I think he's hamming it up because he's a total Dr Who Geek and doesn't know what else to do... a bit crap though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with the thoughts about Clara being the dominant character. The doctor just seems a little bit one dimensional, the support to Clara. I disliked Clara before and like the interaction between her and the Capaldi Doctor, she seems more natural with him, like he's a best mate. But I don't get that from him. He just doesn't bring the energy that the last 3 had, especially Matt. It's like Peter is detached from what's around him and that maybe the fact he's lost the angst, the emotion of killing his kind...but the character has lost something... He's not even dark or edgy or just un emotional, it's just Clara is out acting him maybe? :(

Saying that, in a few months will be happy to spend a rainy day re watching the season to try and change my mind.

And what is moffats interest in women in suits with strict hair do's - that's 3 now. I sense there's a suited and booted dominatrix out there making some serious cash out of him....
    Forum Member
    pac_girl wrote: »
    Agree with the thoughts about Clara being the dominant character. The doctor just seems a little bit one dimensional, the support to Clara. I disliked Clara before and like the interaction between her and the Capaldi Doctor, she seems more natural with him, like he's a best mate. But I don't get that from him. He just doesn't bring the energy that the last 3 had, especially Matt. It's like Peter is detached from what's around him and that maybe the fact he's lost the angst, the emotion of killing his kind...but the character has lost something... He's not even dark or edgy or just un emotional, it's just Clara is out acting him maybe? :(

Saying that, in a few months will be happy to spend a rainy day re watching the season to try and change my mind.

And what is moffats interest in women in suits with strict hair do's - that's 3 now. I sense there's a suited and booted dominatrix out there making some serious cash out of him....

I think RTD started it in nooWhoo with this:

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/864/864824/partners-in-crime-20080407083637425.jpg
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To quote Einstein - “Everybody is a genius.
    Not a lot of people know that.:D
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you really want to see a Doctor hamming it up watch the Tom Baker episodes.