Options

RIP Strictly (as we knew it)

wildwestladywildwestlady Posts: 311
Forum Member
Last night's distinctly lacklustre programme, with not one oustanding performance, some error-strewn dances and extraordinarily inconsistent marking from the judges, was for me the final nail in Strictly's coffin.

Presumably in an effort to rival the viewing figures of the dreadful X Factor, the BBC have dumbed the show down to such an extent that it is almost unrecognisable as the quality product it once was. Remember when we used to have regular group dances by the pros on every show? Remember when there were no props? When dances were recognisable as what they were meant to be and there were clear rules? When the music was appropriate to the dance? When the costumes were more than just fringed bikinis? When we had Ian Waite? And Matt Cutler? And Arlene Phillips? When there was no deliberately chosen joke candidate?

Last night I felt I was present at a wake, with all the other people involved frantically trying to pretend the body was still alive. For me it's not just Bruce who is on his way out - I'm afraid it's the show itself.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to say it, but I agree. The earlier series were the best. The best dancers didn't always win, the best overall balance between dance & entertainment usually has (witness Cola last year). This year is the first (apart from Sergeantgate) that I've actually thought "OMG - what have they done"
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on last night's routine, I honestly think Ann could win this. There was very little dancing content, but it was actually funny and 'entertaining'.

If Ann wins, I really don't see how there could be another series - after all, why would any celebrity put in all the hours of training, knowing that someone else could win with a plastic iceberg and a foghorn? It's the same with the X-Factor - if Wagner wins, all pretense of being a singing competition is lost, so I don't think they could continue.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with the original poster.It'll be the last series I watch and if AW,Wagner and Gillian McKeith win their respective shows it'll kill reality tv in this country........look what Michelle McManus' winning did to Pop Idol :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I forgot to say what my floral tribute will be at Strictly's funeral, appropriate of course to the vulgar show it has become. I shall send a huge confection of orange and pink gladioli, with diamante sprays, bearing the legend 'We loved you - once.'
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Posts: 10,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree with the original poster.It'll be the last series I watch and if AW,Wagner and Gillian McKeith win their respective shows it'll kill reality tv in this country........look what Michelle McManus' winning did to Pop Idol :eek:

If that were to happen several bookmakers would take some severe hits. I know many people who have Widdecombe, Wagner and McKeith in various combination bets at massive odds.

The bookies are very, very concerned at the moment. They forgot the power of the public vote when they priced these things up.
  • Options
    chipsauntchipsaunt Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree and I'm sad to say that since the beginning of this series it has been evident that so many changes have been made that it has lost its charm for me. The results show fiasco is the most obvious thing that struck me in October - no reason to have a silly results show full of padding and fake suspense, when you could get the results out on a Saturday and avoid spoilers and stop all BBC staff having to pretend that it's Sunday!

I just watched Andrew Marr having a "discussion" with the unreconstructed Ann Widdecombe on the Andrew Marr show. I really enjoy that show but she has now ruined that as well. Her views on everything in the papers were entirely predictable as an old-school Tory, and Andrew looked as if he regretted having her there. She really is a loose cannon.

SCD used to be a highlight of autumn/winter viewing and now it isn't any more. I feel sorry for the contestants who are still in the show, because their efforts are being devalued as a result of the way the show has moved dramatically down-market.

Brucie is past his sell-by date and his jokes and autocue disasters are painful. Tess has always been painful, but I used to tolerate her because the dancing was so good and the glamour was so uplifting. We seem to have lost the glamour and it's all silly costumes and props, with no real identifiable dances. I think it's turning into show dancing, with so many lifts allowed - last night I genuinely didn't know what Matt and Aliona were supposed to be dancing.
    The American Smooth used to be a Fred and Ginger tribute dance, danced to swing music, and that and the Argentine Tang were the only dances in which lifts were allowed! (I'm talking about only last year) Can you believe it?
  • Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    Sadly I have to agree with you OP. As good as some of the celebs have been, I've been more than a little irritated with the inappropriate lifts and the overuse of props. As someone who's watch SCD from series one I can accept that changes are sometimes needed but, not at the expense of the dances.

We do have some bliddy good celebs this year but, I feel as if I've been cheated because they're not dancing "properly". I don't want to see how they can walk through a door, or sit on a chair. I just want to see how they can dance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Chipsaunt, I liked your whole post. Yes, I too switched on Andrew Marr this morning only to see Bosom Of Doom holding forth in that grating voice, so had to switch smartly off again.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there's a fair amount of rose tinted specs in the OP to be honest.

Last night wasn't that great - so what? That was how most of the last two series were, last series being particularly dire This series has definitely had more dance talent.

Bad music choices? Nothing new there. I'm still bemused as to why anyone ever tried to dance a tango to 'Pretty Woman'.

Stupid marking and dancers making errors? Again, happened oh so many times before. The judges have been over marking their favourites since series 4.

Costumes? Hmm, can't say I've seen any of the girls wearing less than a pro dancer normally would. And they have great figures that look amazing when they dance. It's fine by me.

As for there being no joke candidates - David Dickenson was in the very first series. Enough said.
  • Options
    SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

Last night wasn't that great - so what? That was how most of the last two series were, last series being particularly dire This series has definitely had more dance talent.

Bad music choices? Nothing new there. I'm still bemused as to why anyone ever tried to dance a tango to 'Pretty Woman'.

Stupid marking and dancers making errors? Again, happened oh so many times before. The judges have been over marking their favourites since series 4.

Costumes? Hmm, can't say I've seen any of the girls wearing less than a pro dancer normally would. And they have great figures that look amazing when they dance. It's fine by me.

As for there being no joke candidates - David Dickenson was in the very first series. Enough said.

And Chris Parker (is that his name?) made the final!
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the OP has actually watched the show from it's inception, it's always been like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

Disagree about the dance talent. There are always talented dancers in the mix, and a few who are less able, and the people who can't dance at the start but improve a lot generally go on to succeed, even win. Years ago, it used to be the most talented who went through and the judges tried to keep the standards up. The thin end of the wedge was Arlene Phillips being "retired".

Joke candidates have never dominated as much as they are this year. I think the OP is basically saying that enough is enough - too many things have been changed and as we knew it, the show is dead. It is now a different show, and rather than being the one "reality" show which had a bit of artistic merit, it's now just another manipulated talent show.
    Some of us loved it the way it was, and I personally feel cheated. A lot of people like the new format, fair enough, but some of us don't!

I also suspect that betting may be heavily influencing the voting and hence the outcome this year, and that is sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    I wonder if the OP has actually watched the show from it's inception, it's always been like this.

I think you must have been watching a different show from me. Admittedly I did not see the first couple of series but for the programmes from then on I stand absolutely by what I said in my original post. Strictly has most certainly gone downmarket this year. I used to urge friends to watch it but never do so now. There are times when I have almost felt ashamed of watching it myself.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »

Well, with only 8 contestants in the original show, that series would have been over by now.

I know the Beeb have cut back from 16 to 14 this year - 16 was just ridiculous! - but I still feel the series is too long and ofcourse we all suffer for it as performance deteriorates. Stamina is lacking, injuries become more rife etc.

I hope they cut back again next year, or have a holiday week** mid-series so both Pros and Celebs can gather their strength and recharge their energy.

**Instead of a live show, I am sure we would all be up for some rehashing of old series. I wouldnt be alone in enjoying that, would I?
  • Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    Well, with only 8 contestants in the original show, that series would have been over by now.

I know the Beeb have cut back from 16 to 14 this year - 16 was just ridiculous! - but I still feel the series is too long and ofcourse we all suffer for it as performance deteriorates. Stamina is lacking, injuries become more rife etc.

I hope they cut back again next year, or have a holiday week** mid-series so both Pros and Celebs can gather their strength and recharge their energy.

**Instead of a live show, I am sure we would all be up for some rehashing of old series. I wouldnt be alone in enjoying that, would I?
    That would be fab. :) Maybe, they could have a show of the highest marked routines for each dance. I do think last night they were all suffering from "Blackpoolitis" so maybe they could have the "old" show after the Blackpool week. If they wanted to make money for CIN (like what they used to do) they could ask the viewers to vote for their favourite "old" routines.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is the change of Executive Producer which has brought about the worst changes.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Laura* wrote: »
    That would be fab. :) Maybe, they could have a show of the highest marked routines for each dance. I do think last night they were all suffering from "Blackpoolitis" so maybe they could have the "old" show after the Blackpool week. If they wanted to make money for CIN (like what they used to do) they could ask the viewers to vote for their favourite "old" routines.

Great ideas Laura. I'd certainly be happy to vote for that.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I think you must have been watching a different show from me. Admittedly I did not see the first couple of series but for the programmes from then on I stand absolutely by what I said in my original post. Strictly has most certainly gone downmarket this year. I used to urge friends to watch it but never do so now. There are times when I have almost felt ashamed of watching it myself.

Chris Parker made the final in the first series.
  • Options
    flossieblossomflossieblossom Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    The standard of dance has risen over the years. Natasha Kaplinsky was no better than Patsy Kensit. Expectations are very high now, and many celebrities are meeting them. This is very entertaining.
    Some of the changes have been made to give the show wider appeal. To those of us who love the dance, this is seen as dumbing down. The judges still expect to see dances performed correctly though.
    I don't think I blame the judges for trying to manipulate the scoreboard. It must be so frustrating week after week to see some contestants work their socks off to produce fabulous routines, only to be thwarted by the GBP who see fit to send the whole thing up by voting for the joke - just because they can. This needs to be addressed.
    The sad fact is, the beeb need the viewers and they don't care why people tune in, so long as they do. I want more than this for my licence fee.
    Strictly is one of the few good things about winter! Please let's make it about the dancing.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about sending this thread to the BBC Strictly producers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,697
    Forum Member

FAB idea - really like the idea of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The standard of dance has risen over the years. Natasha Kaplinsky was no better than Patsy Kensit. Expectations are very high now, and many celebrities are meeting them. This is very entertaining.
    Some of the changes have been made to give the show wider appeal. To those of us who love the dance, this is seen as dumbing down. The judges still expect to see dances performed correctly though.
    I don't think I blame the judges for trying to manipulate the scoreboard. It must be so frustrating week after week to see some contestants work their socks off to produce fabulous routines, only to be thwarted by the GBP who see fit to send the whole thing up by voting for the joke - just because they can. This needs to be addressed.
    The sad fact is, the beeb need the viewers and they don't care why people tune in, so long as they do. I want more than this for my licence fee.
    Strictly is one of the few good things about winter! Please let's make it about the dancing.

I agree that Craig and to some extent Len are still pushing for the dances to be performed correctly, but the rules have changed. The dances where lifts are now allowed outnumber the ones where more traditional moves are expected. Show dances used to be saved for the final, now we have them every week.

I agree with your post and I also want more - especially since we used to have a very entertaining contest in the past, and now it is being nullified by the AW effect.
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    In memoriam, rank the stars of SCD8:

dry ice
    chair on the floor
    flying harness
    trap door to come in the Final
    Ann disappearing in a puff of smoke
    Ann reappearing with a rabbit
    Indian rope trick
    snake charming
    Ann holding breath for 100 seconds
    levitation

What did I miss out due to not watching for many weeks?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulmate61 wrote: »
    In memoriam, rank the stars of SCD8:

dry ice
    chair on the floor
    flying harness
    trap door to come in the Final
    Ann disappearing in a puff of smoke
    Ann reappearing with a rabbit
    Indian rope trick
    snake charming
    Ann holding breath for 100 seconds
    levitation

unicycles ;)
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member

unicycles
    Onstage tug 'o war between 100 dance fans and 1 Ann fan -- Ann fan winning. :eek: