Options

Could the dead body in the car be Jim?

Carol.WCarol.W Posts: 172
Forum Member
This surely has to be hinting at someone otherwise what a cop out by making one of the deaths a non character.

Comments

• Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I thought Jim too, but if it is a non-character then it won't be counted as one of the deaths. I will be very disapointed with PC if it is.

Let it be Jum, Let it be Jim
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is, so it is :D.

It's unlikely that they would just randomly mention a death if it wasn't connected to at least one of the characters.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Jim has been such a big character in the past and has dedicated many years to the show - surely they wouldn't kill him off-screen!?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I dont think this random guy is the 4th death at all. The producers have been keen this week to give corrie some perspective and a proper setting by showing the world beyond the viaduct. I think the discussion of this guy is just a way to point out that this accident has effected people beyond Coronation Street.

You see lots and lots of extras, maybe they thought it'd be unrealistic for only main characters to die.

If only three main characters died, they'd say 3 deaths. Saying 4 and then making up the numbers by killing an extra undermines the integrity of the show.

And Peter Barlow won't die... Far too much mileage in the storylines surrounding him yet!
  • Options
    ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is Jim it wouldn't make sense, as he doesn't live close by, so would not have a season ticket to any matches...

Maybe it's Martin Platt.
  • Options
    polkadottydresspolkadottydress Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bowieben wrote: »
    I dont think this random guy is the 4th death at all. The producers have been keen this week to give corrie some perspective and a proper setting by showing the world beyond the viaduct. I think the discussion of this guy is just a way to point out that this accident has effected people beyond Coronation Street.

You see lots and lots of extras, maybe they thought it'd be unrealistic for only main characters to die.

If only three main characters died, they'd say 3 deaths. Saying 4 and then making up the numbers by killing an extra undermines the integrity of the show.

And Peter Barlow won't die... Far too much mileage in the storylines surrounding him yet!

I hope the fact that peter's storylines have some mileage in them is what saves him, plus i'd hate to see another orphan on the street :cry:
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    But Jim has been such a big character in the past and has dedicated many years to the show - surely they wouldn't kill him off-screen!?

It would be a BIG shock though as we won't expect a major character to be killed off screen.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a BIG shock though as we won't expect a major character to be killed off screen.

Don't think it can be Jim, I've seen some still photos of him in the bar.
  • Options
    textpesttextpest Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't make sense if it was Jim. Surely he has a storyline to finish with Owen? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't have three children either, does he?

Not all living away.

Ian Wylie has a transcript here

Somebody in the comments mentioned Bill as a possible victim.
  • Options
    Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    textpest wrote: »
    Wouldn't make sense if it was Jim. Surely he has a storyline to finish with Owen? :confused:

Maybe its his son, the one who isnt in it anymore. Whassisname? Andy? Maybe he was visiting his mum or something?

Would explain why Jim is apparantly on set if he comes back cos his son died.

(Sorry I dont actually watch corrie anymore, so I dont even know why Im commenting other than out of boredom :o)
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I doubt it
  • Options
    MissyAnnMissyAnn Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A another red herring perhaps!
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Just reading it - seems like the fireman was saying HE himself has three kids...

Fireman 1: "Oh, the guy they found trapped in the car..."
    Fireman 2: "After the gas explosion?"
    Fireman 1: "Yeah. He didn't make it."
    Fireman 2: "That's another free seat down the main stand..."
    Fireman 1: "Are you a (Stockport / Weatherfield ) County fan?"
    Fireman 2: "Yeah, three kids."
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the man in the car was just a random guy, but he WON'T be counted as one of the four.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think the guy in the car refers to the RTA that prevented the emergency services turning up enmasse when the tram crash was first reported.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    i think the guy in the car refers to the RTA that prevented the emergency services turning up enmasse when the tram crash was first reported.

Nah, he was the guy here
    http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2010-12-10/hHfsybqwgCwdtCxeevasrBzgIzsnvuBkDCCAwwIuacBlprnxyjmkADArIHod/corriecar2.jpg.scaled1000.jpg
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ::Adam:: wrote: »
    Just reading it - seems like the fireman was saying HE himself has three kids...

I don't think that transcript is correct. I've watched it twice and am sure they were referring to the driver as the father of 3.
  • Options
    SparklesSparkles Posts: 4,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is Jim it wouldn't make sense, as he doesn't live close by, so would not have a season ticket to any matches...

Maybe it's Martin Platt.

Hahahahaha! My boys have season tickets for Man U. ;)

I know what you are saying though & you are right.
    This is not Jim, just a character added to give the story a greater reaching perspective & also a device to show us Rita in the Kabin whilst they were having the conversation outside. The details about being a father of 3 & a season ticket holder wouldn't have been apparant when finding the body in the car..more likely came from those notifying next of kin, so an 'off screen' character.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    ::Adam:: wrote: »

I didn't hear this on the episode. I must have blinked and didn't see or hear it. Which episode was this on please?
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the fireman who has 3 kids. Why on Earth would they know a random guy found in a car had three kids?
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    I didn't hear this on the episode. I must have blinked and didn't see or hear it. Which episode was this on please?

The live one :p
  • Options
    batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    It's four funerals, not four deaths, so if he is dead and not a regular, then it still won't be counted.
  • Options
    SparklesSparkles Posts: 4,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the fireman who has 3 kids. Why on Earth would they know a random guy found in a car had three kids?

By the same token, why on earth would the fireman be letting his colleague know he had three kids..surely he would know already & even if he didn't, why on earth would it be a topic of conversation at that stage?

The man trapped in the car was obviously alive when rescued, hence the fireman telling the other one that he ultimately didn't make it. It would seem to me they learned he was a family man etc when the emergency services contacted the next of kin..maybe they all turned up at the hospital? The fireman had obviously been updated on what had happened & was passing the info on.
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I don't think that transcript is correct. I've watched it twice and am sure they were referring to the driver as the father of 3.

I would agree.

I've just rewatched this & my version differs ever so slightly but...

Fireman 1: "Oh, the guy we found trapped in the car..."
    Fireman 1: "..'s he a County fan?"

If they hadn't learned anything about the background of this character, how on earth would they know his death meant a free seat at the local football club?

Also, the tone is of course missing from the written transcript. The three kids part was certainly said in such a way to show regret at such loss of life & it's far reaching implications.

However, this is just a 'filler' & doesn't involve a character we know.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ........... but if it is a non-character then it won't be counted as one of the deaths............

I can see the headlines now: "Huge earthquake hits London - no coronation street characters among however many were killed"

I do understand what you mean, though. :)