Anyone use the internet in the 90's?

Comments

• Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to use Kermit to connect to the university Unix mainframe, where we could telnet into London Imperial College and connect to Star Wars MUD in Amsterdam. That was 1990 at university. I had a lot of IP addresses written down as there was no DNS servers. We had UUCP for downloading from other Unix servers, gopher for searching and ftp for file transfers,
    It was probably 1994 before I was at work and we used Compuserve to access their bulletin boards.
    By 1996 I had unmetered dial-up at home with freeserve I think. That was when I started using web browsers.
    By 1999 I had home broadband, and a rudimentary LAN.
    Now I have several wireless access points around the house, and between us about 10 PC's and laptops all online.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    I first got the internet at home in November 1999.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my mum at the time I first went online asking me to get my own phone line as the house number was always engaged. I learned the hard way when my bills were coming in at over £200 a quarter! Thankfully when a fixed monthly fee in 2000 came in that my phone bills were non existant and we had to no longer pay by the minute for connections.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I went around loads of dial up ISPs back in the 90s. I used X-Stream, which was free after 6pm but you were lucky to get on. I then joined NTL and was amazed when I got 128kbps (might have been 256, not too sure) through some ugly, huge silver modem! Aww, those were the days.

Downloading a song took 15 minutes :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our first PC was one of those Tiny packages in 1997. Are Tiny still in existence?

Tiny was taken over by Time who were basically the same outfit. This took place many years ago. A quick google search shows that Time is still around today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »

Back in your box now. He is credited with inventing the World Wide Web. This is a front end to the Internet. It's a very common mistake even among the press.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Pugwash69 wrote: »
    This is a front end to the Internet.
    Worth emphasing that it is only one of many.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I first went online using Janet in 1978.

Winner!

All the URL's were backwards too!
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Winner!

All the URL's were backwards too!

You mean email addresses using the UUCP "!" syntax, right?

URLs were invented the same time as the web.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Phil Owens wrote: »

No he didn't.

The internet was originally ArpaNet, developed by the US authorities in the late 60s/early 70s to enable military and educational establishments to maintain contact even in the event of a nuclear war or similar catastrophe. In the 80s it began (slowly) to go mainstream with previously closed systems such as Compuserve being connected to it. It still wasn't what you would know as the Internet though.

Tim Bernars-Lee invented HTML, the language that heralded the birth of the World Wide Web, allowing pages to be linked together etc. It has grown from there.

The Internet as a whole consists of several different parts and protocols. Usenet is part of the internet but nothing to do with the WWW, if the WWW went offline Usenet would still exist, as would other services such as email etc. Granted it may be a bit more difficult to find content :)

The internet is far more than just the wibbley wobbley web you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet
    http://www.walthowe.com/navnet/history.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    You mean email addresses using the UUCP "!" syntax, right?

URLs were invented the same time as the web.
    Ah yes. My email address was something like jtp2@uk.ac.hull I think. When you wanted to send an email to America you gave them jtp2@hull.ac.uk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Tim Bernars-Lee invented HTML, the language that heralded the birth of the World Wide Web, allowing pages to be linked together etc. It has grown from there....

HTML is just an extension of other mark-up languages. It's how to display a page. He was more interested in HTTP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    HTML is just an extension of other mark-up languages. It's how to display a page. He was more interested in HTTP.

True.
  • GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HTML derives from SGML (Initials of the creators of the mark up langauge) which started in the 60's and used by publishing companies to mark up their newspapers/articles with words like <b> and <i> ready to be printed out in that format (I learnt this in my advanced web technology module)

I first got the Internet begenning of 1999 and was with AOL. The chat rooms were epic especially when you used to get kicked out for running quizes through a third party software and downloading 15 second snippets of .WAV music would take anything from 20 minutes on dial up. I remember when we upgraded to AOL Broadband on 128k speeds, I couldn't believe how fast I was surfing!

I still use the same email address from AOL today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of AOL who remember the free CD's that use to come in magazine adverts and their suspect passwords they had on the advert.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Speaking of AOL who remember the free CD's that use to come in magazine adverts and their suspect passwords they had on the advert.

I managed to set someone up on the internet with one of those, AOL even had a rather basic browser for Windows 3.11 which is what the person had at the time.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god yes those CDs were everywhere at one point! I remember they'd always link up with (presumably exclusively Warner) films like Harry Potter so that people would be enticed by the free content on the CD Rom and sign up to AOL.

I remember I desperately wanted to find someone with the internet at home just so I could go on the CITV website! :o We did eventually get AOL in 2001 with their hideous (but awe-inspiring at the time) web browsers with the stupid, slow keywords service and generally dreadful and near impossible to set up dial-up service. I can't even remember the amount of trouble I had with that service. There were so many times when it would just refuse point blank to connect. The amount of time I spent online was ridiculous as well (and still is) so no was every able to ring our phone! :D I was so happy when we got broadband after the price finally became acceptable.

Can't believe my mum's still on AOL after all these years. Certainly not a great service.
  • Mike HawkeMike Hawke Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    First used it at school in 97, got it at home in 98.
  • debailey72debailey72 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    The first time I used a computer was in December 1999, when an EasyEverything internet cafe was opened near Trafalgar Square, and it was free to use all night.

SNAP!

I used to go there all the time! If I had a day off the next day, I would finish work at about 10pm and go there all night and leave about 11am to go home. That branch and the one in High Street Kensington were the best ones to go to.

I thought that place was brilliant! I lived off Yahoo and Excite chat and MTV. They were the ONLY sites I would go on.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vax circa 1991. Couldn't believe I could chat to people on it from Australia for free. Was paranoid that the university was going to bill me for the time at some point. MUDs were as addictive as heroin back then.

Then the mozilla browser arrived. Compared to telnet, FTP, gopher etc, it originally didn't seem to offer much... bit of a mistake there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just missed it. First got online March 2000, using Freeserve's dial-up on a package PC from Time that cost £1200 and the monitor blew after a year. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First internet access was through high school from 1995. First taste of e-mail (can even remember my first e-mail address!), the web and usenet!
    Around 50 computers shared a 33.6Kbps modem connection! Think it was 1999 or so when school upgraded to broadband.
    Used to look at all sorts on the web. Started with Altavista as my search engine of choice, followed by Yahoo (incidentally my first non-school e-mail account was with them!) and then Google.
    Outside of school it was a case of saving my pocket money up to blag some online time at a "cybercafe".
    I remember when Leeds had 4 or 5 of them, these days it only has 1!

Despite constant pleading, it was 2001 before we got our first home PC and dial-up Internet through AOL.
  • SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steps? :eek::eek::eek:

Well, it was 1999 and I was 11! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh the freeserve dial-up connection. Those were the days! :D
  • SmoojSmooj Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first foray on to the internet would have been 94 or 95 I think. I used an html chatroom at a place called thepark that had an auto-refresh feature and PMs too. I used to use ICQ and powwow too. Yahoo was the search engine of choice, but hotbot was also pretty cool.
    Geocities was fun, like an early myspace, plenty of user-created content and work in progress icons for people building their own websites. Some folks liked to put really naff midi tunes that would start playing when you visited their pages.
    Other popular web destinations for me were script sites - for some reason you could get transcripts of films and tv programs really easily on a few sites and I enjoyed reading those.
    And then some of the other entertainment on offer was less wordy, persiankitty springs to mind.