Being a carer for a family member

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know anything about being a carer ?(before I go on to Carers website thought I'd come on here for specific query).
My mother is on transfer list to move along with my sister and her family to coast. My sister has already moved and her house is completely full with her family but she is trying to get my mother a transfer. She used to live nearby and helped her out. Now I am looking after her mainly. I am able to do this as I am currently on jobseekers so this means that I have to be looking for work (which I am). I have to travel from central London to outskirts to see her so cant do it every day plus I have a young son. I was looking at Carers Allowance. Will I still get Child Tax Credits? (I get this for two of my children currently). I feel that while my mum is still waiting transfer I should do this in the interim as I am worried I will be offered something (although at the moment pigs will fly!) and will just not be able to spend my time looking after her.
Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Janey JonesJaney Jones Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cj1234 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about being a carer ?(before I go on to Carers website thought I'd come on here for specific query).
    My mother is on transfer list to move along with my sister and her family to coast. My sister has already moved and her house is completely full with her family but she is trying to get my mother a transfer. She used to live nearby and helped her out. Now I am looking after her mainly. I am able to do this as I am currently on jobseekers so this means that I have to be looking for work (which I am). I have to travel from central London to outskirts to see her so cant do it every day plus I have a young son. I was looking at Carers Allowance. Will I still get Child Tax Credits? (I get this for two of my children currently). I feel that while my mum is still waiting transfer I should do this in the interim as I am worried I will be offered something (although at the moment pigs will fly!) and will just not be able to spend my time looking after her.
    Any help will be appreciated.

Hi cj :)

If your mum is receiving DLA at the middle or higher rate and you are caring for her for at least 35 hours a week, you may be able to claim carers allowance for her.

There's more information here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Caringforsomeone/DG_10012525