Katherine Jenkins Why does she attract such negative press

Comments

• Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »

It bears watching the two videos on that site to compare Jenkins with a genuine operatic soprano.

I know which one I prefer.......;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    . I am no expert on the singing human voice but I know what I like and find her strange mezzo vibrato very odd and irritating.

me too .... the vibrato seems contrived and I find her whole tone and pronunciation unattractive

I also find her delivery very robotic plus she's turning into a lollypop head since she lost a lot of weight on DWTS

.... apart from that :D
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because she's their at the opening of a fridge. I was reading the paper and seen her at Maggie Thatchers funeral and thought 'What are you doing there?!'

Absolute fame-**** who'll do anything to get in the press whether it be good or bad.

She seems to have got herself 'in' with a lot of people, although it's yet to be established what on earth her connection is to warrant an invite to the funeral!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good article, thanks for the link. Unfortunately I decided to watch the video, Jenkins was just awful!
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,337
    Forum Member
    Spot ON, however I think she is in danger of loosing her prettiness under a mask of thick foundation and over processed hair. She was way prettier when she didn't try so hard.

This is one thing I've never understood about Katharine. With all her money, how does she end up with such a bad dye job.

It's a lousy advert for whoever her hairdresser is. It looks like her friend did it in the back kitchen with the cheapest blonde colour on offer at Superdrug.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez Gwnneth Paltrow and now Katherine Jenkins getting, imho, undeserved criticism.

Can't there be a differentiation between talent and blatant media-whoring?:(
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....because she's tarty, plays the media, loves herself, and wears low cut garments to display her cleavage at funerals.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    She is beautiful and talented, and the hate she receives from the opera world still hasn't stopped her success, so she gets hated for everything she does.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member

From the article:
    “I've always faced prejudice. I'm a working-class girl from Wales. I have blonde hair and wear pretty dresses. There are a lot of people in the classical music world who absolutely loathe me. The critics slate me because I'm not what they consider the real thing. People expect a classical singer to be big and fat with Wagnerian horns on her head. Sorry, that's not me. It never was and I always knew my looks would be my advantage. I'm totally aware of how to market myself, totally aware of the effect of the way I look. And personally I'd rather see an attractive man playing Romeo than a big fat old man. Why can't opera singers look good? I don't get it.”

So, nothing at all to do with lacking the required skills, then. In Kathworld, the reason she is not being hired is that she is too beautiful for the ugly business of professional opera. In spouting this nonsense, she deliberately and self-servingly perpetuates the stale stereotype of the risibly grotesque diva or divo who is devoid of any ability to act convincingly. Clearly she has never heard of Anna Netrebko, Danielle de Niese, Elina Garanca, Juan Diego Florez, Jonas Kaufmann, Dimitri Hvorostovsky, or any of a multitude of glamorous singers currently before the public, who possess vocal and dramatic gifts beyond her wildest imaginings.

Er, she doesn't exactly come across as very likeable here, does she?

All opera singers are fat and/or ugly, Katherine? OK...
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    From the article:

Er, she doesn't exactly come across as very likeable here, does she?

All opera singers are fat and/or ugly, Katherine? OK...

I particularly love the ''I'm a working class girl from Wales'', yet there she was at Mrs Thatcher's funeral :rolleyes: She is ridiculously fake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I particularly love the ''I'm a working class girl from Wales'', yet there she was at Mrs Thatcher's funeral :rolleyes: She is ridiculously fake.

I doubt she realises the irony of that.......
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    It's because she's Welsh. Many English people are notoriously anti-Welsh. Just look at Neil Kinnock and the way the press went after him for being Welsh, largely contributing to his election loss.

In that case how come Tom Jones is popular??
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who do people prefer out of Katherine Jenkins and Myleene Klass, two people that I find irritating, primarily because they seem to constantly feel the need to get any bit of press coverage they can?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who do people prefer out of Katherine Jenkins and Myleene Klass, two people that I find irritating, primarily because they seem to constantly feel the need to get any bit of press coverage they can?

Of the two I prefer Myleene
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ve not seen the funeral outfit - was it unusually revealing? If so then that may well have been inappropriate for a funeral. But she does have nice tits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    I`ve not seen the funeral outfit - was it unusually revealing? If so then that may well have been inappropriate for a funeral. But she does have nice tits.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00405/126128309_jenkins_405193j.jpg

it was her hat that seemed more inappropri\te to me than the "V" neck .... it reaked of attention seeking and being more of a fashion statement the way it stood out

to me it was more of a party/wedding/Royal Ascot style than a funeral

Shirley Bassey and Joan Collins, way bigger stars but way less attention seeking and dressed down, respectful head wear

http://i4.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article2731334.ece/ALTERNATES/s1023/fun11-2731334.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/17/article-2310332-19570518000005DC-871_964x654.jpg
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's running the London Marathon today, but appears to have a full face of make up? Why would you wear make up to run a marathon? I'm not attacking her, its good raising money for charity especially one that means a lot to her family, but wearing heavy foundation, false lashes, perfect brows etc is really vain. It'll be smeared everywhere by the end of the race.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    She's running the London Marathon today, but appears to have a full face of make up? Why would you wear make up to run a marathon? I'm not attacking her, its good raising money for charity especially one that means a lot to her family, but wearing heavy foundation, false lashes, perfect brows etc is really vain. It'll be smeared everywhere by the end of the race.

Only if she runs. She might complete the marathon in 6 hours plus
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that's 'minimal', when she's in full fig it must be at least 2 inches thick. :eek: :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that's 'minimal', when she's in full fig it must be at least 2 inches thick. :eek: :D

How on earth is that minimal? :eek:
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member

She wants to look her best in the pictures they take at the event? To be completely honest, I would do the same if I had the energy and will[power to run London marathon.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She wants to look her best in the pictures they take at the event? To be completely honest, I would do the same if I had the energy and will[power to run London marathon.

Absolutely agree. That looks like what I would call minimal make up. I wear more than that to pop to the corner shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am no fan but good on her, I am always a bit in awe of anyone who can do that. I couldn't do it in a week :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. That looks like what I would call minimal make up. I wear more than that to pop to the corner shop.

I can't pop to the corner shop without trowelling it on, I wish I could be comfortable bare faced, but I need the war paint.