Which Corrie characters are most LIKELY to be axed when Stuart Blackburn leaves?

2»

Comments

• callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why Sean would be axed because Blackburn is leaving, he has survived under 6-7 producers before him. I think it is a no-brainer he ain't going anywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    All of the ones he introduced surely? Two of them have already been canned - Andrea and Kal. Fair play to Blackburn and his team for recognising that they failed with those characters. It's rare that a producer will axe their own creations and Corrie rarely seem to axe any of their permanent characters full stop. Maddie was also terrible, but the actress quit.

His other creations need to go - they don't have any longevity behind them so won't be kept on by default as some are. Fiz and Sean were actually likeable once so you could understand their presence for a few years but they haven't been for some time now and need to go.

Kym Marsh still being there is a joke when 1) she can't act, 2) her character is unlikeable and 3) she's more interested in being a micro-celebrity forcing her 'love' life on us at every opportunity.

They quit though didn't they? Then again I think Andrea would have been axed as she has no purpose once Lloyd leaves.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully Sarah and Bethany. Was never a fan of Sarah, but her return has been awful.

A recast for Simon, probably to someone who looks several years older and will appeal to the teen audience. Oh and someone who actually looks like he could be Peter's son, rather than Lloyd's would be a good idea

Izzy. She serves little purpose characterwise and appears to be little more than Corrie trying to show they are an equal opportunities employer.

Todd, another failed return in my opinion. No explanation of his personality change either.

The Nazir family. I like them, but it seems new families never really last too long.

BIB :D:D:D
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see Blackburn "moving on", where will he go? He made a complete muck up of Emmerdale and has done the same with Corrie, which, before he took over well worth watching, not so now.

Ludicrous scripts, (Gail and Eileen fighting over Les Dennis, The Dev love triangle, Tracy and Tony's plot to take over the Rovers), nonsensical characters (Sarah and Bethany, Callum, Les Dennis, Andrea), but worst of all the dreadful "actors", it's like amateur night at the local junior/infants end of term play. The cast is far too big anyway. If they got rid of the deadwood and keep the ones that can actually act we might have something worth watching again.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see Blackburn "moving on", where will he go? He made a complete muck up of Emmerdale and has done the same with Corrie, which, before he took over well worth watching, not so now.

Ludicrous scripts, (Gail and Eileen fighting over Les Dennis, The Dev love triangle, Tracy and Tony's plot to take over the Rovers), nonsensical characters (Sarah and Bethany, Callum, Les Dennis, Andrea), but worst of all the dreadful "actors", it's like amateur night at the local junior/infants end of term play. The cast is far too big anyway. If they got rid of the deadwood and keep the ones that can actually act we might have something worth watching again.
    A very good post, desperate house.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why Sean would be axed because Blackburn is leaving, he has survived under 6-7 producers before him. I think it is a no-brainer he ain't going anywhere.

He is friends with some of the writers and apparently the part of Sean was written specifically for him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    He is friends with some of the writers and apparently the part of Sean was written specifically for him!

Well the creator of Coronation Street (Tony Warren) is a fan of him. If one of my Corrie books is to be believed, Warren suggested him.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the creator of Coronation Street (Tony Warren) is a fan of him. If one of my Corrie books is to be believed, Warren suggested him.

Is that the Corrie 50 years book? I can confirm that actually
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Sean's not going anytime soon. He's signed an extention and basically has a job there for life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Is that the Corrie 50 years book? I can confirm that actually

Yeah that's it.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sean's not going anytime soon. He's signed an extention and basically has a job there for life.

Unfortunately, if there's one character I'd gladly chip in a few quid to get rid of he's the one.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They quit though didn't they? Then again I think Andrea would have been axed as she has no purpose once Lloyd leaves.
    The actress who plays Andrea was bleating on about being disappointed to be leaving and wanting to stay so I don't think she quit. Jimi Mistry might have but I got the impression he was sacrificed for the fire story and the producers recognising that the Nazirs in their then-form hadn't quite clicked with viewers.
  • mad-1mad-1 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need a producer brave enough to get rid of an entire asian family, soap producers for some reason would rather hang on to asian familys no matter how boring they are.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Blackburn goes - soon, please - he should take with him Faye, Sophie, Sean, Sarah, Bethany and Michael; and he should recast Simon. A new producer could then build on the rest of the cast to bring Coronation Street back to the great show that it used to be.

:o Agree with this.

Although I think Callum and the Nazirs will be gone within a year or so, regardless.
  • CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well apparently Tony Warren created the character (Sean) so i think Anthony Cotton will be there to the day he dies.........unless Tony does....beforehand
  • All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some of them missed the word likely in the title.

Sean and Fiz have no reason to leave. They are two of the shows most favourite characters.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Thought this thread was rather contemporary and relevant at the moment... 😁