Soaps - is there such a thing as 'feud chemistry'?

sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
Forum Member
In soap history some feuds are iconic whereas others are forgotten about. Is there such a thing as 'feud chemistry' between two actors? It is a bit like the magic spark you get with major soap couples, only in reverse. Does it exist, or is it just me?

As an example, let me take Sharon vs. Shirley and Sharon vs. Kathy. For me, the scenes between Letitia Dean and Linda Henry were good but they lacked a bit of 'oomph' - Shirley became petty whilst Sharon turned into a Hyacinth Bucket-esque snob. The actors also didn't always get into a good verbal rhythm and looked a bit mis-matched on-screen. Contrast that with Letitia and Gillian Taylforth and it was electric. So many people have commented that Sharon is the best she has been since the return and you can tell that both actresses were pumped up. For me, one feud has genuine, rare chemistry wheres the other was a bit flat.

Also, a lot of actors who have a toxic feuds onscreen can be good mates off set, two examples being Bill Roach and Johnny Briggs, and Adam Woodyatt and Steve McFadden. Maybe it helps to get along with the actor you are supposed to 'hate', so you feel comfortable in the scene and can take a few more creative risks?