Wimbledon grunts

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone watching the tennis at the moment? There is a women on who is making a really ridiculous noise every time she serves. Why?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cj1234 wrote: »
    Is anyone watching the tennis at the moment? There is a women on who is making a really ridiculous noise every time she serves. Why?

It enables them to serve faster and more accurately and thats what you need to do to add slice to your serve:D and not at all because it is the done thing or to put off their opponent:rolleyes:
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it's to cover the sound of them farting every time they whack the ball.:rolleyes::D
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her orgasms must be mental.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    I dont really see what the big complaint is over the grunting, can't say it bothers me or disrupts my viewing of the matches
  • The Jordan ShowThe Jordan Show Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The noises are the only reason I watch. I don't loathe them, I LOVE them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when they do it every single time they hit the ball, fair enough if they're doing a very powerful serve. But I can't watch the womens tennis anymore in fear of getting an erection :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her orgasms must be mental.

Not neccessarily , I remember that singer off Maroon 5 saying that he was disappointed by Sharapova in bed and that she was like a "frog" , not the loud orgasmic treat he expected :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It puts off the opponent, it must be more difficult not hearing the ball
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I thought I read in the week that a rule was being brought in at Wimbledon, that grunters were going to lose points over doing it. Good thing too - it's an awful, ugly sound.
  • The Jordan ShowThe Jordan Show Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a beautiful, shrieking sound, so powerful. It makes the match more exciting by adding that extra surge of desperation!
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's irritating.

Probably why the crowd were getting behind the other woman too. (And the place seemed rather empty!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not neccessarily , I remember that singer off Maroon 5 saying that he was disappointed by Sharapova in bed and that she was like a "frog" , not the loud orgasmic treat he expected :p

Although that wasn't actually true. It was a satirical article that appeared in the Russian online magazine The Exile (whose editorial policy is 'We shit everybody equally'). However despite denials from all involved it seems to be one of those stories that has stuck.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's annoying and seems to be getting worse. It must be habitual.

There are certain players that do it all the time - Sharapova, obviously. Her shrieking gets more and more painful as the match progresses - particularly when she's losing!!

Azarenka, who was playing yesterday, was making some peculiar sounds as well. :D
  • mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azarenka's whoo-ing noise should be stopped, imo. It goes on for so long it must be to put off the other player.

A short, sharp grunt or yelp is used because it pushes oxygen into your blood stream quicker, same reason martial artists do it. But a 'whhhooooohooo' that goes on until the ball hits the ground on the other side of the net is just ridiculous.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an obvious (and rather pathetic) attempt by some players to put their opponent off.

Shameful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    Although that wasn't actually true. It was a satirical article that appeared in the Russian online magazine The Exile (whose editorial policy is 'We shit everybody equally'). However despite denials from all involved it seems to be one of those stories that has stuck.

Ah right okay , you can tell that I don't research my info then :o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azarenka's whoo-ing noise should be stopped, imo. It goes on for so long it must be to put off the other player.

A short, sharp grunt or yelp is used because it pushes oxygen into your blood stream quicker, same reason martial artists do it. But a 'whhhooooohooo' that goes on until the ball hits the ground on the other side of the net is just ridiculous.

I have to agree with this. I don't think grunting is a bad thing neccessarily but when it lasts until the opponet hits the ball on the other side then clearly that is nothing but gamesmanship , no-one actually needs to grunt for that long.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't have much of a problem with the grunting. I barely notice it after a while, I get used to it.

I do think it's very unfair that everyone is focussing on this as a problem purely with the women's game; the sound is more noticeable because it's at a higher pitch, but some of the grunts from the men's game are just as prominent.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    The grunting is the reason I don't watch womens tennis any more. I can't bear it.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Revenga wrote: »
    I really don't have much of a problem with the grunting. I barely notice it after a while, I get used to it.

I do think it's very unfair that everyone is focussing on this as a problem purely with the women's game; the sound is more noticeable because it's at a higher pitch, but some of the grunts from the men's game are just as prominent.

The grunts from the women are usually much louder than the men though, and as much has been proven.

The decibel levels have been measured- some of the shrieks from Sharapova for example have been over 105 decibels :eek:

There are plenty of other women shreikers that sound as loud as Sharapova too- particularly the Williams sisters and especially Serena, as well as countless others people have already mentioned.

I can’t think of any men that grunt as loudly as them, I think that's why people primarly focus on the women grunters ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched with great pleasure as the screaming banshee aka Sharapova got knocked out. A grunt of effort is understandable when exerting yourself, but Sharapova's is a drawn out scream that continues long after she's hit the ball. A scream like that has to distract her opponent whether that's her intention or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    jabegy wrote: »
    The grunting is the reason I don't watch womens tennis any more. I can't bear it.

You and me both.
  • SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of duct tape would solve the problem. Phwoar. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    It's an obvious (and rather pathetic) attempt by some players to put their opponent off.

Shameful.

Agree.. With the main perps, it continues well up to the point when the ball is in their opponent's hitting zone. Interestingly, none of these players seem to be half as noisy during practice. :rolleyes:

To be fair though, the grunters are in the minority. I'm not sure why women's tennis as a whole has been associated with the issue.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Azarenka... yet another stupid screecher :rolleyes:

Dementieva also quite loud.

I'd say at least half of the womens matches I've watched, have had at least one loud screechy player :D