Best Striker, Midfielder, Defender, Goalkeeper ever to play in the premier league.

Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mine would be as follows:

Goal Keeper: Schmeichel
Defender: Stam
Midfielder: Ronaldo
Striker: Henry

Runner Ups

Goal Keeper: Seaman
Defender: Adams
Midfielder: Giggs
Striker: Shearer

Comments

• Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Can't we go further back than 1992 ?
  • Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go back as far as you want but some of the true greats are a bit before my time.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Thinking about it I don't need to. Best striker Stephen Ward :p
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of the Prem I would say

GK: The Great Dane
    Def: Stam
    Mid: Scholes
    Striker: Shearer
  • CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we're allowed to go further than 1992, mine would be:

Goalkeeper: Peter Schmeichel
    Defender: David O'Leary
    Midfielder: C. Ronaldo
    Striker: Thierry Henry

A few might find O'Leary a strange one, but anyone who watched Arsenal in the 80's would know he was an incredible player, had all the attributes that the perfect defender should have and was very consistent as a player. Tony Adams learnt from the best.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    GoalKeeper: Schmeichel
    Defender: Adams
    Striker: Henry

Should have had a separate category for wingers and wide players like Ronaldo really, technically they can be considered midfielders but there position is vastly different from say a Keane or Viera type midfielder that they deserve there own category if you ask me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    Goalkeeper- Peter Schmeichel
    Defender- Ferdinand
    Midfielder- Scholes
    Striker- Henry
  • Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    Schmeichel
    G neville
    Stam
    Ferdinand
    Irwin
    Beckham
    Keane
    Scholes
    Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Cantona

That would be the premiership best eleven IMO
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GK: Schmeichel
    DF: Adams
    MF: Giggs
    ST: Henry

For me a player who hard 2 or 3 seasons can not be counted as the best ever. As good as Ronaldo is he is not even in the top 10 for me.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    GK: Schmeichel
    DF: Adams
    MF: Giggs
    ST: Henry

For me a player who hard 2 or 3 seasons can not be counted as the best ever. As good as Ronaldo is he is not even in the top 10 for me.

Ronaldo was here from 2003-2009.
  • Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Current:

Premier League

Goal Keeper: Hart
    Defender: Vidic
    Midfielder: Fabregas
    Striker: Tevez

La Liga

Goal Keeper: Casillas
    Defender: Pique
    Striker: Messi
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmeichel
    Stam
    Scholes
    Van Nistelrooy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope. My monitor won't do black and white mate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is going to be a thread filled with United players. And rightly so. Here's most of the same ones again.

Schmiechel - not even a doubt
    Stam - yeah, go on then
    Giggsy - oh how we wish he was english
    RvN - for the art of out an out goal scoring / Cantona - for style/arrogance/ushering in United's dominance pretty much on his own / OGS - arch poacher in chief
    Forum Member
    I'm only going to pick man utd players cos there are too many players to choose from. Bergkamp, Henry, vieira, Zola etc etc there's hundreds of great players.

Goalkeeper - Schmeichel by a mile
    Defender - vidic - well ahead of stam IMO, stam was awesome but was poor at the start and end

Midfield - keane - just ahead of scholes

Forward - ronaldo - best player to play in the league, complete player.
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmeichel
    Adams
    Bergkamp*
    Henry*

*Possibly the most lethal attacking partnership in the history of the Prem
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmeichel
    Adams
    Gerrard
    Shearer
  • Simon1984Simon1984 Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member
    Schmeichel
    Adams
    Bergkamp*
    Henry*

*Possibly the most lethal attacking partnership in the history of the Prem

Yorke and Cole pisses all over them.

Schmeichel
    Stam
    Giggs
    Van Nistelrooy
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Football wasn't invented until 1992.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Football wasn't invented until 1992.

That's a little harsh. To be honest I don't see why 1992 isn't a natural arbitrary starting point. A new league was formed after the resignation from the old football league. So why not start there?

Same as 'post-war' or 'modern era' are used in these things. Are people who do so under the impression football didn't exist before the 40s?

Or would you rather the question was 'Best players since 1983?' for some reason?

It's not that people think football didn't exist prior to the establishment of the Premier League, it just seems like a natural historical dividing point. Not to mention that for many fans alive today, due to age more than anything else, that period or a few years before or after is the 'ground zero' of their experience of the game.

This bitter insistence that people don't think football existed before 1992 is complete nonsense. They don't but the establishment of the new league coincided with the fact of the age of the average fan and the greater exposure that followed the establishment of the new league, why is it so outlandish that the OP used 1992 as it's starting point?

It's no different than asking for the best World Cup player in a 32 team tournament or the best player of the 'modern game'.

Would people then be sarcastically asking 'So the 1990 world up doesn't count as football wasn't invented until 1998' or 'What about all those great players before the 'modern era' of football?'

Just seems like an unnecessary moan. It was a radical change both in terms of name, stature, finance, television, appeal etc. So what's wrong with using that as a starting point?

I get tired every time someone brings up this subject the sarcastic "of course, football never existed before Sky or 1992" comments. Amusingly arrogant to the fact that unless you're over 28 years old, it very likely didn't. But that point is lost in the 'lets have a pop and pretend the OP is a shallow glory hunter" insinuation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I thought Sky invented football anyway.

Anything prior to that is some darkage different sport ;)
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I thought Sky invented football anyway.

Anything prior to that is some darkage different sport ;)

I wonder if in the 70's and 80's when Liverpool won all their trophies, if Preston fans sat arms folded remarking 'Of course, football was only invented on television. The achievements that went before clearly don't count' whilst thinking back on their success at the turn of the century, drawing little faces with rolling eyes to underline their sarcasm.
    Forum Member
    Sky have had a tremendously positive impact on the game. It fashionable to bash them but the domestic game would be much much worse without them. Of course being a paranoid Man Utd fan I would suggest that the fact that the Sky deal coincided with the beginning of our period of domination has something to do with the hatred.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember in 1991, having to walk 20 miles to the game in the snow with a huge sack of coal on my back, barefoot. We didn't have season tickets but ration books, and because it was eternal darkness and teams couldn't afford floodlights, we used to listen on the wireless. Because we couldn't afford wires.
    Forum Member
    That's a further example of arseyness.

The PL made football fashionable but the casual fan won't sustain a fashionable relationship for 20 years.

sky brought the interest to another level and the game itself sustained it.

Foreign players may have "spoilt" the game in many ways for certain people but the excitement caused by every major star of USA 94 wanting to play in the PL will be hard to replicate. It also led to Euro 96 with I suspect will be the closest to the swinging 60s that my generation will ever reach.