Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 4)

Comments

• BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No No No, Bellagio, we are just being 'too stupid' to understand her.

Well praise be for that - I thought I'd caught her lying, and as we all know, she is famed for her strict adherence to the truth. Colour me relieved.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    ....And so the pattern continues to repeat itself. First she insults and offends people with some nasty spiteful article. Then she cops a truckload of flak, which she responds to by rewriting history and applying a very selective memory about what she actually said (her Clare Balding comments were just playful fun, apparently) and casting herself as the innocent victim of horrid bullying. Then she uses the suffering, illness or bereavement of someone else--usually a family member, always involving shameful intrusiveness and exploitation--to win back readers' sympathies.

?
    Bellagio wrote: »
    Warning - disturbing photos.

http://www.stylist.co.uk/people/the-liz-jones-interview?fb_comment_id=fbc_333070866826884_1606134_333129323487705#image-rotator-1

Um... I thought picking up cats infringed their feline rights ? Do as I say, not as I do...

A taster for the lies within:

Do you respond to reader comments about your columns?

Well I’m not allowed to do Twitter because [the Daily Mail] are worried about the level of abuse I’d get. I only looked at the comments once, when I wrote a piece about Holly Willoughby not wearing make-up [Liz wrote that it was a “betrayal to women”]. I actually wrote in the piece that she’s a goddess but that maybe she makes women who don’t look like that without make-up feel a bit bad about themselves, so I wasn’t really nasty about her.

Er... no, she actually said no such thing in that article: check for yourselves.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2165732/Holly-Willoughby-Betraying-women-going-barefaced-Says-Liz-Jones-says-real-feminists-trowel-make-up.html

Sorry to quote my own post, but the BiB in Bellagio's example is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about. Liz does this time and time again: trying to shrug off one of her nasty rude insulting articles by pretending she said something far tamer than the vitriol she actually wrote. Journalists might have been able to get away with tricks like this before the Internet made everything checkable. But does she really imagine she can rewrite history when the evidence is right there on the screen?

Of course, the people who take issue with her spiteful attacks are simply "jealous" of her income, or the fact that she lives in a nice house.....
  • DeliriumTremensDeliriumTremens Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to quote my own post, but the BiB in Bellagio's example is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about. Liz does this time and time again: trying to shrug off one of her nasty rude insulting articles by pretending she said something far tamer than the vitriol she actually wrote. Journalists might have been able to get away with tricks like this before the Internet made everything checkable. But does she really imagine she can rewrite history when the evidence is right there on the screen?

Of course, the people who take issue with her spiteful attacks are simply "jealous" of her income, or the fact that she lives in a nice house.....

Cathrin, I'm sure I remember her being very cross with the builder who took her to court and dared to quote her very own column and Dreary entries at her to back his case up. The nerve of the obviously working class, white van man, who was probably not wearing a designer suit! I should imagine she thinks people are too stupid to check what she writes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were the photo, or the intimate detail (one inaccurate) entirely necessary ? No. Did she strip her mother of pretty much every remaining shred of privacy & dignity she'd retained ? Yes. Did the care firm and nurses give their permission for be named in the piece ? We don't know, but on past form, very likely not. Why was this piece published now and not, say, three years ago ? Because she has a book to push. Is she a vile bitch for doing any or all of the above ? The consensus, in this forum and also the wider world seems to be overwhelmingly, yes. It was her decision to write this piece, and garner publicity for herself and her book, or not, and respect her mother's privacy. She chose the former, because the notion of, indeed the very word "respect", is totally alien to her.

A better journalist than Jones - and she is truly a very, very poor excuse for a journalist - could have written this piece without the continuous mememeism and the gratuitous personal detail, yet with greater impact. She claims in an interview in The Stylist she turned down a salary of £700,000 from the Express. Truly, Monopoly money in every respect.

Does that mean she earns less than that (£700k) at the DM?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Poor Mrs Jones cannot possibly have given her consent to have her picture published in the DM. In my opinion it was exploitative, degrading and constituted abuse of a vulnerable adult. I have complained about it to the DM, the PCC and Letchworth Social Services.

No doubt we will soon have a follow-up article from LJ saying that she didn't say what she said, thus attracting more clicks to the DM site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that mean she earns less than that (£700k) at the DM?

The generally agreed figure is £225-£250K. Still a ludicrous amount of money for what she actually does, and for doing it so very badly.

That said, if anyone was daft enough to offer me that much to write such accelerated bollocks and badly-worded puddles of piss, I wouldn't be stupid enough to say "no thanks".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Correction: Should have been Saffron Walden Social Services (Haven't worked out how to edit my posts )
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Mrs Jones cannot possibly have given her consent to have her picture published in the DM. In my opinion it was exploitative, degrading and constituted abuse of a vulnerable adult. I have complained about it to the DM, the PCC and Letchworth Social Services.

No doubt we will soon have a follow-up article from LJ saying that she didn't say what she said, thus attracting more clicks to the DM site.

The PCC are currently trying to give me the brush off - I have insisted that they uphold their own regulations. But I think the more people who complain, the better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    I went off Liz Jones after she promised to shave her head for charity after being inspired by Jessie J. Why agree to it in the first place and ask for people's money if you aren't going to do it.

Jesus, it took you that long? :p
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    The PCC are currently trying to give me the brush off - I have insisted that they uphold their own regulations. But I think the more people who complain, the better.

Same here, I got the fob off (bog off) reply.:mad:
    Trying to formulate my own response.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well praise be for that - I thought I'd caught her lying, and as we all know, she is famed for her strict adherence to the truth. Colour me relieved.

:D
    She never said those things about Holly Wllloughby, Clare Balding,et al. We just imagined it all.:rolleyes:

After all she is no Jan Moir,,,,:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    :D
    She never said those things about Holly Wllloughby, Clare Balding,et al. We just imagined it all.:rolleyes:

After all she is no Jan Moir,,,,:p

Plus, she's never written about IK...never even thought about her for 10 years, apparently. And she doesn't attack ordinary women. Oh, and if someone asks her not to write about something, she doesn't. She contradicts herself umpteen times in the course of that interview alone! In that respect she reminds me a lot of that Apprentice woman Katie, who just seems to reel off a load of troll-ish opinions and simply changes the subject whenever anyone points out all the contradictions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus, she's never written about IK...never even thought about her for 10 years, apparently. And she doesn't attack ordinary women. Oh, and if someone asks her not to write about something, she doesn't. She contradicts herself umpteen times in the course of that interview alone! In that respect she reminds me a lot of that Apprentice woman Katie, who just seems to reel off a load of troll-ish opinions and simply changes the subject whenever anyone points out all the contradictions.

bib, no never,even though we are all crap and gossipy in the workplace.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    bib, no never,even though we are all crap and gossipy in the workplace.:p

...And we all wear cheap High Street clothes, breed giant feral children, skive off work and hen-peck our husbands, who then seek comfort with their secretaries, who probably use their breasts to gain attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...And we all wear cheap High Street clothes, breed giant feral children, skive off work and hen-peck our husbands, who then seek comfort with their secretaries, who probably use their breasts to gain attention.

:D, but she is a champion of women don't you know. Even though going without make-up is some kind of abusive bullying.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish I could do multiple quotes properly.

Sunstone : but she is a champion of women don't you know. Even though going without make-up is some kind of abusive bullying.

I suspect some of you are mothers who just wanted a year's holiday from work and tend to do your ocado shopping when you are there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading her 'new' book. There's a lot of family info, but I'm doubting much is reliable. Here's two reasons why:

She states that sister Sue is 18 months older than her, but a few pages later giver her birth date (accurately, btw) as February 1956...

She states she was born in St. John's Hospital Chelmsford September 5th 1958. However, no-one called Elizabeth Jones was registered as being born in Essex - or indeed, in England or Wales - in September 1958.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish I could do multiple quotes properly.

I suspect some of you are mothers who just wanted a year's holiday from work and tend to do your ocado shopping when you are there.

:D, I never had children, in these days of human rights do you think I can claim a couple of years holiday for discrimination?:p

Mothers are such a liability in the workplace.:yawn:

In my own experience, the part time workers (mainly mothers) are far more productive, they feel guilt tripped about leaving early (even though they aren't getting paid full time).

As a manager I have never had a problem with mothers, the only times I have had problems with female staff is when one was sloping off to carry out phone calls to a lover when we were really busy,and another who was making her wedding arrangements in work time. Two instances in many years. I have had far more grief from male staff members in terms of being lazy,rude etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading her 'new' book. There's a lot of family info, but I'm doubting much is reliable. Here's two reasons why:

She states that sister Sue is 18 months older than her, but a few pages later giver her birth date (accurately, btw) as February 1956...

She states she was born in St. John's Hospital Chelmsford September 5th 1958. However, no-one called Elizabeth Jones was registered as being born in Essex - or indeed, in England or Wales - in September 1958.

So no record of LJs birth...she is officially an alien then.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi! I'd just like to say how comforting this thread is. Like many, I read Liz Jones out of pure morbid fascination to see how low she can sink and if she didn't hit rock bottom with the Jo Yeates article, she has now with the feature on her mother. I can't put into words how disgusting I've found this piece and although like many I believe the ENTIRE existence of the Fail to be one big trolling operation this is so awful I am genuinely outraged it got into print.

Liz Jones is one of the most vile people I've ever known of, and I can't believe she is for real. I certainly don't want to believe it - until now I've tried to reassure myself she's nothing but a typical "journalist" troll - but she does appear to be genuine in her horrid thought process and behaviour in general. What a world. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From The Book:

"One night, in London for work, I checked into my usual cheap hotel in west London. My card wouldn’t work. ‘Please,’ I said. ‘I always stay here.’ They told me I needed £50 cash to stay in the room, so I walked to the cashpoint in Westfield Shepherd’s Bush to try. All around me were people shopping, lights twinkling, and every card I put in the machine was returned with the message, ‘You have zero funds available.’ I spent that night on the street: walking, sitting in doorways. I didn’t even have the money for a cup of coffee."

That's a big, black lie - if that had really happened we'd have never have heard the end of it. According to what she wrote at the time, her agent bailed her out, paying for the hotel.

But then again, this is someone who writes she was married in 2003 when it was 2002... It's not lying when you've convinced yourself it's true.
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warning - disturbing photos.

http://www.stylist.co.uk/people/the-liz-jones-interview?fb_comment_id=fbc_333070866826884_1606134_333129323487705#image-rotator-1

Um... I thought picking up cats infringed their feline rights ? Do as I say, not as I do...

A taster for the lies within:

Do you respond to reader comments about your columns?

Well I’m not allowed to do Twitter because [the Daily Mail] are worried about the level of abuse I’d get. I only looked at the comments once, when I wrote a piece about Holly Willoughby not wearing make-up [Liz wrote that it was a “betrayal to women”]. I actually wrote in the piece that she’s a goddess but that maybe she makes women who don’t look like that without make-up feel a bit bad about themselves, so I wasn’t really nasty about her.

Er... no, she actually said no such thing in that article: check for yourselves.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2165732/Holly-Willoughby-Betraying-women-going-barefaced-Says-Liz-Jones-says-real-feminists-trowel-make-up.html

I'm still reeling from the piece about her mother. This was not the action of a loving daughter, she could have done so much good with this subject if she'd chosen to - highlighting the poorly paid care workers, the lack of care home places, the pain of seeing a beloved parent helpless, the tragedy of dementia stealing their mind while their body remains. But no, she made it all about her, whilst betraying her mother's last shreds of dignity, for her 30 pieces of silver and a book plug. She is shameful.

(From the Style interview posted by Bellagio)
    "I always try to nurture women, I invest in them. I sort of see myself as a safe place for women, as a voice for them."
    :eek: When? When did she 'nurture' anybody? And I'm a woman and would like to state for the record that she most certainly does not speak for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK like all good researchers, every now and then I have to hold my hands up and say "sorry, got it wrong". Liz Jones does have Welsh ancestry: her grandfather Arthur was born in Longham, Glamorgamshire in 1883.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From The Book:

"One night, in London for work, I checked into my usual cheap hotel in west London. My card wouldn’t work. ‘Please,’ I said. ‘I always stay here.’ They told me I needed £50 cash to stay in the room, so I walked to the cashpoint in Westfield Shepherd’s Bush to try. All around me were people shopping, lights twinkling, and every card I put in the machine was returned with the message, ‘You have zero funds available.’ I spent that night on the street: walking, sitting in doorways. I didn’t even have the money for a cup of coffee."

That's a big, black lie - if that had really happened we'd have never have heard the end of it. According to what she wrote at the time, her agent bailed her out, paying for the hotel.

I remember the agent bailing her out too. If I remember rightly, she told the story two or three times in fairly quick succession, with new details added in with each telling (this seems to be a common LJ tactic). I seem to recall that when the story cropped up the second time, a new dead horse was thrown into the mix to crank up the pathos, ("But my horse has just died") even though she hadn't mentioned the horse's death the first time she told the story.

I found this version: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1238565/LIZ-JONES.html

which makes no mention of being out on the street all night....and as Bellagio says, would she really have left out a dramatic detail like that? She would have been retelling the story forever afterwards!

ETA: Interestingly, I can't find any trace of the version we all remember reading, i.e. the one in which the agent bailed her out. Anyone able to find this? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't find the original version of the homeless story (the one where the agent bailed her out). Strangely, that version, which we all clearly remember reading and discussing on this thread, seems to have been mysteriously erased from cyberspace. :) But I did find this exchange of posts between myself and fitnessqueen last year which illustrated my point:

cathrin: IIRC, there was even one occasion--I bet our Bellagio will be able to remember the details--when she was being horrible to a hotel receptionist (I know, I know, that doesn't really narrow it down much, does it?) ...and when she repeated the same tale again a couple of weeks later, a new animal tragedy was suddenly retrospectively introduced into the story to provide added pathos...anyone remember the occasion I'm talking about?

fitnessqueen: I think it was the time she was "homeless" (ie she couldn't check into a hotel because she was virtually bankrupt and her card wasn't accepted. Luckily, like all homeless people, she had her agent on hand to bail her out).She then rehashed the story a few weeks later but wailed "my horse has just died" or something like that at the nasty receptionist. I also have a feeling it was the horse that she had never mentioned until it died....

I've just been reading the reviews of her book on Amazon! Blimey! :) Everyone is saying the same thing: that the only entertaining thing about the book is the way all the rehashed stories contradict each other and change details from the original versions! I guess that's rule number one in the art of rehashing old tripe over and over again: don't change details, or you will be easily caught out by sharp-eyed readers who remember the original tripe (especially if it's been rehashed a hundred times already).