Would anyone like to see a Kathy Beale Shirley Carter two hander episode?

12346»

Comments

• HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    No to a Kathy/Shirley two-hander.

These characters have never had anything to do with each other, and shouldn't have anything to do with each other. Two hander episodes are generally reserved for characters that have a long-standing relationship (Den & Sharon, Kat & Zoe, Grant & Phil, etc) and usually involve the culmination of a particular storyline. If a Kathy/Shirley episode does happen, it will be the most blatant example of shoehorning and elevating Shirley to a status that she does not deserve. Reminds me of that shameless attempt to associate Sharon with the Brannings as soon as she returned; a blatant attempt to use a legendary character to elevate the status of the 'main family' of the moment.

Kathy is an original character and a very important one at that. She does not have to be 'legitimised' by having a two-hander episode with the show's current 'leading lady' Shirley Carter. Keep Kathy away from Shirley.

Also: Shirley is in no position to judge anyone about abandoning their children. And no, Kathy does not have to 'thank' Shirley for being a stand-in mum. Shirley literally tried to kill Ben when the truth about Heather came out.

Good post, spot on.
    Well Sharon hates both of them, that's another thing in common.

I don't think she necessarily hates them, I think jealously plays a huge role in it, Shirley probably reminds her of mother a alcoholic mess, Kathy a mixture anger and feeling threatened but it wasn't always the case.
    vald wrote: »
    That doesn't alter the fact that she's the only one who knows what Ben's life was like growing up. Sharon wasn't there, Phil was out of it on booze and drugs, and Peggy's not around any more. I suppose it's possible that Kathy will show no curiosity and will buy into Phil's story that he was a wonderful father.

Likely hood a lot will probably be glossed over, she barely mentioned Lucy.
    Who cares what Shirley did for Ben? They hate each other now because he killed Hev. Harry Reid's version of Ben has barely shared the screen with Shirley since he joined the show. Shirley only ended up with Phil in the first place because Sharon and Kathy weren't in the show at the time. Even Phil couldn't tell her he'd pick her over Shazza and Kaffy on their aborted wedding day. I see no reason why Kathy would give a stuff what Shirley did or what she has to say about anything.

The's true she not had many scenes with Harry Reid's version, it's been the bare minimum.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I just don't see the point in revisiting it just so Shirley can get a metaphorical pat on the back for being such a wonderful stepmother to Ben. There is no potential for dramatic impact here because the relationship between Shirley and Ben was dead and buried years ago. It's pointless.

Also, not true that Shirley was Ben's only source of love and kindness. Peggy was VERY protective of him, as were Ronnie and Roxy.

Good grief, it's not about Shirley getting any sort of a pat on the back. I just see her as the person who can accurately fill in the gaps for Kathy. But maybe she won't be curious, and in that case she can spend her time reminiscing with Dot and Sharon about the good ol' days.^_^
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Good grief, it's not about Shirley getting any sort of a pat on the back. I just see her as the person who can accurately fill in the gaps for Kathy. But maybe she won't be curious. and in that case she can spend her time reminiscing with Dot and Sharon about the good ol' days.^_^

Phil was there, as was Ian. Ben is now also an adult. All of them can more than adequately fill in the gaps for Kathy, and I'm sure they will.

There is no need to involve Shirley in this storyline. Absolutely none.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Phil was there, as was Ian. Ben is now also an adult. All of them can more than adequately fill in the gaps for Kathy.

There is no need to get Shirley involved. None.

Phil was a drunk and drug addict...he can't remember what he was doing, let alone anyone else. Yes, Ben was there, but as he is so afraid of his father he's unlikely to speak out against him...still he'll get brownie points from me if he does have the guts to.:)
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessica was also there. She was always being shoehorned into storylines. I'm glad she got axed.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Phil was there, as was Ian. Ben is now also an adult. All of them can more than adequately fill in the gaps for Kathy, and I'm sure they will.

There is no need to involve Shirley in this storyline. Absolutely none.

I don't think Shirley possibly having a few scenes with Kathy given her history with* Ben would count as a huge involvement in the story, or much of an involvement at all. I don't see the issue in that?
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Who on earth is this Jessica people keep mentioning? 😕
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who on earth is this Jessica people keep mentioning? 😕

Apparently she the the A character of EE, nobody has a fooking clue who she is :D
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Apparently she the the A character of EE, nobody has a fooking clue who she is :D

The plot thickens..! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plot thickens..! :D

It certainly does! :D;-)