The Event channel4 9pm friday

Comments

• RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His Brother who met him in the parking lot is also an alien but i think there good aliens:)

Brother? How did I miss that?

I'll be watching it next week, just to give it another go.:D

edit - Brother as in the same species, possibly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this. Must be in the minority because the moving forward and back through the storyline didn't bother me at all.

Didn't find it to be like Lost- more along the lines of Jericho.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still wondering if they really are aliens or if they are from the future.

..... or from some alternate / parallel reality, or the results of an experiment that went wrong .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    margaritaa wrote: »
    anyone else just throw up a bit :o
    I suspected that would be the fate of the passengers and crew when the Apache helicopters appeared. It must have been inspired by the theory that the Pentagon was hit by a missile, not American Airlines Flight 77, which, according to the theory, is being hidden.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I really liked this. Good start, fast moving, great pacing. Lots of twists and turns already. Lead guy seems really likeable. Think I might enjoy this. They haven't hung around in answering questions either. Not sure how far they can stretch the concept but it's a promising start.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it, but usually these things are best at the start when you only learn things piece by tiny piece. We'll see if it can hold our interest once we know more stuff.
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why but I wasn't very interested in the first episode. It all was a bit obvious. Especially the Vicky thing. It didn't reel me in one bit.

However, I decided to give it a fair crack and the 2nd episode was soo much better for me. Especially the end bit where they showed the plane and the people. Big hook for me. So I shall be looking forward to ep.3 :D
  • Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tuned in without reading very much at all about the series, and thought it might be like some kind of FlashForward clone, though I did really like FF and stuck with it until the end. From the little I'd read, I thought it was probably going to be perhaps yet another example of a show that is too complicated for the US to bother following, and that it would probably be cancelled. So, with some trepidation, I watched and quite enjoyed it - certainly there's enough for me to want to continue watching... which worries me greatly as that means it'll definitely be cancelled :eek: (as was FF and the excellent Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    For those who are afraid to get invested in case the show is cancelled, you won't have to worry for at least the first season. NBC has picked it up for a full season.

However, ratings have continued to decline week to week. The additional episodes were ordered because international sales are strong. So unless they turn things around, a second series might be unlikely.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Ch4 spoilerized the car crash in next week ep - what fools
    And you have just "spoilerized" it on here. :rolleyes:
  • tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes very good. Best 2 hours of Telly i have spent in a long time. But this is American TV and I have been burned before with Lost and Flashforward.

1) the flashbacks etc are trying desparately to copy Lost and Flashforward. thankfully not so bad and still retains the main characters.
    2) hope they dont introduce endless new chaaracters and pretend that the filling in their sandwich 8 years ago merits an entire episode and is somehow very relevant to the story.
    3) the hospital chase was exactly what made Flashforward cumbersome to watch. A long chase and then nothing at the end of it. It was a 6 min chase through the corridors last night and he was arrested at the door at the end of it.
    4) the blurb says it is 95 % thrill and only 5% sci fi. What????. Its bloody 95 % sci fi unless you want to completely forget about what happened.
    5) Hope they soon realise that we dont want to know too much about peoples love lives and dont care whether they fulfill their love interests.

but very worth watching now. Top class indeed.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't know if the President was a target til it got closer.

They couldn't shoot the plane down as the 'aliens' did something to jam the plane's equipment.
    No, they had a bomb threat and a message from the co-pilot that the pilot was out of control. In a post 9/11 environment, where you have an out of control plane, near the president, would you take a chance? No way.

Edit: plus there would have been a several mile air exclusion zone around the president, so any plane would have been treated as hostile when it neared. (NB and primary radar doesn't require transponders to be on).

The 'aliens' only jammed the fighter when it was too late to shoot the plane down and when the fighter was not in position to do anything. The fighter should have shot the plane down earlier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not clear why Buchanan (?) the pilot went along with the plot. A suicide mission does not seem much leverage. Once you are dead, why would the criminals (who have already) killed your wife) not kill your daughters? How would your daughters live their lives in the knowledge that you had killed 200 people, the President and many others at the crash site? Surely better to contact the via and hope they can resolve it?

Are we s
  • Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think these guys have been around a lot longer than 66 years, as Doctore from Spartacus Blood And Sand is a US General in it, so that would make him at least 2050 years old.

Also which Blunkett did the appalling CGI stuff, which even on the small screen looks fake and unconvincing.

My OH summed it up pretty well, when 20 mins into the first episode gave the comment "What is this load of four king ball harks ?"
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    And you have just "spoilerized" it on here. :rolleyes:

Doh!! Though they did show the next-weeks preview ~1 milisecond after the end of ep2, so everyone watching woulda seen it, but yes, I shoulda spoilerised it, next time I'll do better :o

Previews should be teasers rather than spoilers. :mad:
  • zonizoni Posts: 3,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone have any theories why the "good aliens" killed all the passengers from the plane? I may have one.
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zoni wrote: »
    Anyone have any theories why the "good aliens" killed all the passengers from the plane? I may have one.

how do you know it was them?

I'll probably give the next episode a watch as I quite enjoyed it, though I think a lot of people are still scarred from Lost and won't have much patience with this.

Personally though I quite liked it, I didn't think it was confusing to follow at all and I thought that the show went some way to answering some of the questions it has already posed.

Not sure this has long term potential but will watch for a few episodes more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, some of the questions on this thread make me wonder why anyone watches television at all...
  • zonizoni Posts: 3,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fairy_ wrote: »

The Thomas character met the CIA alien (in the car park) and gave him the co-ordinates for the planes location. I seem to remember he also there would be a suprise waiting for him or something like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zoni wrote: »
    fairy_ wrote: »

The Thomas character met the CIA alien (in the car park) and gave him the co-ordinates for the planes location. I seem to remember he also there would be a suprise waiting for him or something like that.

Yes, but I mean that you don't know that that necessarily means that they were behind it - it seems like it's the kind of show where you should keep an open mind about everything that goes on.

To me it seems unlikely they would have killed all the passengers after letting the plane land safely and not letting the fighter jets shoot it down, no?
  • ASH2ASH2 Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed it last night but the massive plot fails wind me up.

1. they want to kidnap pretty girl
    2. so they stage a fake drowning and helpless boyfriend (broken arm) so Hero jumps in water.

why didn't they kidnap her then, when she was on the rocks all alone and nobody was around

or

why didn't they shoot,stab,poke with a pointy stick her boyfriend when they were all alone on the rock (once dead he can't try and stop plain's)

also

the guy with the broken (not broken) arm was in on it....so why did they kill him. (if it was to frame the hero....well why?)

anyway ill try it next week and see how it goes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, some people are so hard to please. 2 minutes in and someone says don't like the flash backs and I'm bored I've turned over just trying to copy Lost, what is wrong with some people.

I thought it was really good makes me want to watc next week. I just hope the writers planned the entire story before hand and are not making it up as they go along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASH2 wrote: »
    why didn't they shoot,stab,poke with a pointy stick her boyfriend when they were all alone on the rock (once dead he can't try and stop plain's)
    It does seem a bit odd, but episode 1 with all it's time jumping showed Sam 5 years ago at a college swimming pool as a top swimmer. Looks like 'they' set Sam & Leila up knowing that as a top swimmer, Sam would rescue the girl and then they could strike up a relationship with them and gain their confidence.
    Quite what their detailed plan is, may (or may not) be revealed in later episodes or may be completed ignored.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked this, but throughout the episodes I kept comparing it to Lost and I found so many similarities. There's a plane crash, EM radiation has already been mentioned which could have caused the portal (kind of what happened in Lost), there are a group of people we don't know much about (the others).

Although I quite liked this and I will probably keep on watching this, one thing that I hated about The Event is that I didn't like or care about any of the characters, except for Agent Lee. All of the characters took themselves too seriously and I couldn't warm to any of them especially the main character and his girlfriend. They'll probably develop their characters in later episodes but I'll still think they will have zero chemistry and will still be incredibly boring. At least in Lost, even though you sometimes couldn't follow the storyline, you could follow the characters as they were so likeable and interesting and (most of) the romance plots actually worked.

However I would love this show if it did introduce time travel or parallel universes rather than aliens.
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    It all gets revealed in later episodes. I would say by episode 4 the story is easy to follow and you start to see what is going on.