Options

'The Little House' Discussion Thread (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really disappointed with that ending. None of the loose ends got tied up. Her mother, her sister in law etc. Was she really mad and has she turned into the MIL:confused: I wonder if the book helps.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a great two-episode series looking back. Would have made an awesome episode of Tales Of The Unexpected though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drykid wrote: »
    Yeah after it kept going rather than just ending with the death of the MIL, I figured there must be some extra twist coming, like her glimpsing her mother in the woods again or something like that. But there wasn't much at all apart from the implication that she's turned into the MIL, and that didn't seem like enough somehow.

As someone said - what was the point of introducing us to all the other elements in Ruth's past, etc - when none of them came to anything?

Bugger - two hours of my life I'll never get back..............:rolleyes:
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn, I went to the toilet, come back and MIL is dead. How did she die? Good ending, it makes you wonder if Ruth was really the mad one.
    They were fighting on the stairs and MIL stepped back and fell. It was an accident.. but I'm not sure why Ruth suddenly became so cold and nuts herself!
    A good thriller but disappointing end.. as they so often are.
    It would have been more interesting and satisfying if MIL had been found out by them all.
  • Options
    molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I thought it was all brilliant. I also noticed how you never saw Elizabeth do 'those things' to sabotage Ruth's mental state which was quite a good move actually. I didn't know anyone was going to die but when they were on the staircase i thought 'right that's it-someone's going to meet their match now'. Quite dramatic stuff!

I wanna read the book now...seems gripping stuff. Makes you wonder what Ruth will be like in 10 years! :D
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Not a great two-episode series looking back. Would have made an awesome episode of Tales Of The Unexpected though :)

Now there is a creepy blast from the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it will boost sales of the book - and maybe I'll have to read that to really get somewhere - but possibly that will have a crappy ending too? Can a TV show really change a story from a book that much - or do they have to say it's just 'based' on a book? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    They were fighting on the stairs and MIL stepped back and fell. It was an accident.. but I'm not sure why Ruth suddenly became so cold and nuts herself!
    A good thriller but disappointing end.. as they so often are.
    It would have been more interesting and satisfying if MIL had been found out by them all.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now there is a creepy blast from the past.

I can only remember the music and the dancing sequence at the start - plus the one where the man gradually turned into a bee. Was crap really. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oooh we need someone who's read the book.
  • Options
    Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great acting from Francesca Annis, who we see all too infrequently on TV. She was quite a beauty in her day - I remember her playing 'Lily Langtry'
  • Options
    SparklesSparkles Posts: 4,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the same ending as in the book?
  • Options
    SquishySquishy Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really disappointed. Part One was fantastic, and most of this part was too...the last 5 minutes was just atrocious! Makes the rest of the show completely pointless!

I'm all for leaving answers to the viewers opinion, but you have to tie some things up! Not just stop mid-way. Ruth's character completely changed from anything we have ever seen from her before...it was just unnatural and silly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    I can only remember the music and the dancing sequence at the start - plus the one where the man gradually turned into a bee. Was crap really. :o

It used to frighten me, so much so I wouldn't allow myself to get engrossed in it.
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the MIL fell down stairs I kind of expected that they'd set it up so that Ruth would be perceived to have deliberately pushed her downstairs, given that everyone suspected her of being mentally unstable anyway. And that the MIL would therefore effectively "win" from beyond the grave by having ensured that mother and child would be permanently separated as a result. Which would've been quite effective an ending actually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I thought the first part was quite slow, but ok. Then tonights started really well, but I was so dissapointed by the ending. I really wanted to the Husband and Father in Law see just what Elizabeth had done to her and how cruel it was, but we didn't get any of that. Instead we got her go all weird at the end :O

Just felt a bit unsatisfying.
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing ending. When the dog died and Elizabeth was packed off to bed, I thought Ruth was going to turn the tables and somehow convince the others that she was insane.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Great acting from Francesca Annis, who we see all too infrequently on TV. She was quite a beauty in her day - I remember her playing 'Lily Langtry'

I think she still is very attractive :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drykid wrote: »
    When the MIL fell down stairs I kind of expected that they'd set it up so that Ruth would be perceived to have deliberately pushed her downstairs, given that everyone suspected her of being mentally unstable anyway. And that the MIL would therefore effectively "win" from beyond the grave by having ensured that mother and child would be permanently separated as a result. Which would've been quite effective an ending actually.

That's what I thought we were going to be fed! Would have made more sense anyway at least!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else think the MIL husband was aware of how weird she was at some point I thought he was helping her.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »

The best ones were the Hitler one and the one where the guy is dared to bet one of his fingers against a fancy car; gambling on a lighter working :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It used to frighten me, so much so I wouldn't allow myself to get engrossed in it.

How old were you!? :p
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    The best ones were the Hitler one and the one where the guy is dared to bet one of his fingers against a fancy car; gambling on a lighter working :)

Was there one with an alcoholic and a snake or am I thinking of something else?
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The one where the wife killed the husband with a frozen leg of lamb and then fed it to the policemen was excellent.