Options

Your experience of bad customer service

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
Forum Member
Following on from the Oprah thread and since I work in customer service I love it when bad customer service gets its comeuppance. I once went into a boutique to get an outfit for a wedding and two shop assistants were fawning over this woman the whole time. After the lady left the two shop assistants looked at me looking at an outfit and said "that only comes in an 8" whilst looking me up and down. I got up and left... little did they know my father was friends with the owner

Comments

• Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you're still not a size 8 I presume?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Was the shop assistant factually correct? Was the dress only available in size 8?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And you're still not a size 8 I presume?

No, Im a 10, but she made me feel like a whale, just the attitudes of them, and they weren't helpful at all
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Im a 10, but she made me feel like a whale, just the attitudes of them, and they weren't helpful at all

Well they were helpful, they saved you a lot of money making an embarrassing mistake of buying the outfit.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I've spent 5 days on the phone trying and failing to speak to someone helpful at BT and failing, so them, the new TalkTalk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    I've spent 5 days on the phone trying and failing to speak to someone helpful at BT and failing, so them, the new TalkTalk.

Ditto, Ive always hated BT
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    So you went crying to your dad to get him to get the owner to discipline them?
  • Options
    theworldisajoketheworldisajoke Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Tesco on line shopping. Once they didn't deliver 100 **** (a lot of money) but because it was delivered on a Sunday the person on the phone who we called to report it said she would have to call us back on Monday, never did and, to cut a long story short, we never got a refund. There is no option for emailing them.
    Got revenge this week tho, a woman in my local Tesco Express only charged me for 20 even tho I bought 40. I realised straight away but kept schtum - only another 80 freebies needed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    So you went crying to your dad to get him to get the owner to discipline them?

No :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tesco on line shopping. Once they didn't deliver 100 **** (a lot of money) !

That's shocking!!
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of an epic, this one........

HMV, when they were paying £1 store credit for every CD or DVD you traded in. I bagged up some discs and took them along, only to be told that they didn't have time to check/process them due to staff being off sick. I was advised to try again the next day. Disappointed, but fair enough so far.

I phoned up the store the next morning and was assured that I could trade in items that day. I got there about an hour later, only to be told I couldn't trade anything in. I explained about my phone call (naming the person I'd spoken to). The assistant went and fetched his supervisor.

This guy was almost aggressive towards me (he was the same guy I'd spoken to the day before), blurting out that they were under-staffed and didn't have time to serve me. I explained about the phone call again. He went away for a while (presumably to talk to the guy I'd phoned), then came back looking not very happy at all. He angrily took the items I'd brought to the end of the counter and put them on the floor (even though there was nobody waiting to be served. There were very few customers in the place, it been only about 11 am), where he proceeded to swiftly check through them, rejecting a few for no good reason. He just about threw the boxes onto the floor. I heard him mutter that this would be the last time this store ever accepted any trade-ins.

When he'd finished he plonked the ones he'd accepted onto the counter for his underling to scan, leaving the rejected ones on the floor, and stormed off without another word.
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was ill recently and couldn't get to my local library and so e-mailed them to renew my books - the first time I'd ever done this. The librarian e-mailed back the next day saying that she had done it this time but shouldn't really! I have written to her superiors asking why, if a renewal e-mail address is given, the librarian was so grudging and reluctant to do me the favour. I am still waiting for a reply - after a week. Felt like writing again saying their response is overdue, but the library staff are seemingly without humour and that remark would have been lost on them! :mad:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything to do with "Three" and their call centre ..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I am lucky, but there have been very few incidences of bad service in shops for me. I usually behave really calmly and reasonably and nearly always get the answers or solutions that I need. I did have a run in with Curry's but they ended up scrapping the delivery and installation fees that I should have paid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Korky. Can you not log into your library system and renew them online yourself? I do that for the two systems I'm a member of. I can also search through their databases, and request items, online.
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Korky. Can you not log into your library system and renew them online yourself? I do that for the two systems I'm a member of. I can also search through their databases, and request items, online.

Oh, thank you! I didn't know one could do that. :o I just found the e-mail thingy and didn't look any further. I must say that surely library staff should strive to be helpful and pleasant, and liking the general public should be a pre-requisite of the job - or is this too just an occupation these days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, they should be pleasant and polite. Some of them aren't, though, unfortunately. The services I described might not be available in your library system. Worth checking, though.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »

I'll raise you your 5 days and quote 3 weeks on a daily basis. I needed a new router as their old one was faulty. I went through every hoop until finally someone said 'I think you need a new router'. I loathe BT with a passion
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went into a shop the other day and paid with a £20 note (I had just drawn it out and had no other cash on me at the time), the assistant gave me change of a tenner, no problem I thought until I pointed it out and she insisted blindly it was a tenner I gave her. An argument ensued for a couple of minutes until I suggested that she check the till for a £20 note in the £10 notes, she refused and at this point got really pissed off with me. A manager then came across and opened the till and lo and behold the first note in the £10 note slot is a £20 note. The manager gave her a right evil look, and the shop assistant didn't even offer an apology. The cynic in me thinks that she was trying to pinch it, otherwise why get so ridiculously defensive?
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Went into a shop the other day and paid with a £20 note (I had just drawn it out and had no other cash on me at the time), the assistant gave me change of a tenner, no problem I thought until I pointed it out and she insisted blindly it was a tenner I gave her. An argument ensued for a couple of minutes until I suggested that she check the till for a £20 note in the £10 notes, she refused and at this point got really pissed off with me. A manager then came across and opened the till and lo and behold the first note in the £10 note slot is a £20 note. The manager gave her a right evil look, and the shop assistant didn't even offer an apology. The cynic in me thinks that she was trying to pinch it, otherwise why get so ridiculously defensive?
    Theres easier ways to scam money on the till than robbing the customers, very unlikely IMO, probably a mistake, followed by a belief she had made no mistake, when you disagreed, it got her back up and she clamped up and insisted she made no mistake.

After arguing with you, she was unlikely to want to apologise.

Either way though, if that ever happens in my store, the till is taken straight off and checked, no faffing about arguing, i just take the till and check it.

probably 80% of the time it is fine 20% of the time the customer was right.

Happened twice yesterday, both times the customer magically realised they had made a mistake as soon as the till was taken off, they went on their way leaving someone counting a til for no reason.
  • Options
    bigerbiger Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    spark energy....look em up....say no more
  • Options
    StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to Clarks to collect my shoes. Had to wait nearly 10mins for someone to serve me. The only reason a staff member came out from the back was because the phone was ringing. She picks up the phone and completely ignores me until eventually she put the phone down.

This other customer was saying how ridiculous is was.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walked towards a till in a shop where a bored looking young man was daydreaming. I asked if that till was open and he actually said "No, I'm just sitting here for the fun of it."

I asked him to repeat what he'd said and the fool did!!!

I spoke to a supervisor as I left and she said I should write in to the Managing Director and in the meantime she would speak to him about his poor attitude. I did so and got back a very feeble letter saying that on this occasion their staff training was obviously lacking. I have never set foot in that shop since and I used to spend easily £75 a week in there.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So from what I have read in the OP, the shop assistant was correct?

:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people being obtuse in this thread? It's obvious why you shouldn't tell a customer "that only comes in a size 8" unless they have asked you. It might be factually correct but to ignore the implications and connotations of that statement is stupid.