Options

Speed limit on motorways going up to 80.

starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
Forum Member
✭✭
Just been confirmed this is happening.

Not before time as well. 80 is very very safe to drive at, just as much as 70.

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »

Seems like a good idea in principle.

I wonder if the cops will find it neccesary to target speeders more forcefully though.

I mean, with a limit of 70 most people seem to think that anything up to around 85mph is acceptable (and I've had this confirmed by cops too) but with a limit of 80mph I wonder if people might think that 90mph or more is now acceptable.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

I wonder if the cops will find it neccesary to target speeders more forcefully though.

I mean, with a limit of 70 most people seem to think that anything up to around 85mph is acceptable (and I've had this confirmed by cops too) but with a limit of 80mph I wonder if people might think that 90mph or more is now acceptable.

Tsk tsk, higher speeds, less environmentally friendly.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member

Good news if true, but where is it confirmed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Not before time really. Unofficially it all ready is, you wont get fined for doing 80mph on a motorway.

Apparently they will enforce the 80mph limit though, unlike the current 70mph.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tsk tsk, higher speeds, less environmentally friendly.

It's not compulsory to drive at the increased speed.
    Those concerned about optimising fuel economy will still be entitled to drive at an appropriate speed.

Or take a bus if they're not fussed about arriving on time or at all.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member

This has been talked about since February and a possible announcement was speculated about earlier this week.

So if it's now confirmed, where's your link or source?
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In my experience, almost everyone in the outside lane on motorways seem to do 90 as a minimum. That's just based on my experience, mostly on the M25 and M1.

Couldn't imagine doing 80 (let alone 70) in the outside for very long without someone flying up behind me, sitting right on my rear bumper, flashing their headlights and then eventually whipping round on my left if I hadn't moved out their way fast enough!
  • Options
    PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    This has been talked about since February and a possible announcement was speculated about earlier this week.

If this is correct, it is likely to be announced net week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/motorway-speed-limit-to-be-raised-2362980.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pandorian wrote: »

There's 8 bloody police cars in that photo. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pandorian wrote: »

Aaaaah, thanks. So it's not confirmed then.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »

Rolling roadblock, most likely.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

Twitter from the Sun: http://twitter.com/#!/Sun_Politics

Sun_Politics Sun Politics
    BREAKING NEWS: Speed limit on motorways to be raised to 80mph by Transport Secretary Philip Hammond
  • Options
    Wayne DibblyWayne Dibbly Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I noticed that, looks like the Tranny Van was doing 42mph.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    In my experience, almost everyone in the outside lane on motorways seem to do 90 as a minimum. That's just based on my experience, mostly on the M25 and M1.

Couldn't imagine doing 80 (let alone 70) in the outside for very long without someone flying up behind me, sitting right on my rear bumper, flashing their headlights and then eventually whipping round on my left if I hadn't moved out their way fast enough!

Very true.

TBH, when I'm on the M74 it often feels like you're standing still even at 90mph.

My point is that most people don't worry about doing 80-odd mph though whereas people who drive at 90mph or faster will spend their time looking for cameras and cop cars etc.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only Scotland had motorways capable of reaching 80mph. Try doing 60 on the M8 and you'll be lucky!
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    To be honest it's been an unofficial liimit for a while now, even up to 85/90 really (except for cameras).
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As there is a 10% leeway on speed limits. You can now use a DeLorean on British motorways without breaking the speed limit.
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's nothing, my new car will do 140mph
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    As there is a 10% leeway on speed limits. You can now use a DeLorean on British motorways without breaking the speed limit.

Lol but then you get pulled over for the trail of fire from the back tires.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »

Exactly! I wouldn't have dared to drive out there in my old corsa ,when I did end up out in that lane I was hounded up the backside by a man in a white van screaming and gesturing at me to move :( .Poor little car wouldn't go above 80-85 ish! ,there is no point in being out there unless your doing at LEAST 90!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    helenj1986 wrote: »
    Exactly! I wouldn't have dared to drive out there in my old corsa ,when I did end up out in that lane I was hounded up the backside by a man in a white van screaming and gesturing at me to move :( .Poor little car wouldn't go above 80-85 ish! ,there is no point in being out there unless your doing at LEAST 90!

You get idiots like that everywhere. I had one not long back in a Porsche, the way he was going I think he reckoned he was Nigel Mansell or something. It was late and hardly anyone about, and I admit, I was going at a fair rate of knots myself but this knob was right up my chuff flashing his lights and gesticulating.

I eventually pulled into the middle lane and grudgingly let him past, but I had the last laugh though as about 10 miles down the road he was sitting in the back of a police car. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was late and hardly anyone about....I eventually pulled into the middle lane and.....

That doesn't sound like particularly good roadcraft. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope all you celebrating speedsters realise that IF and WHEN this speed limit increase is confirmed, it will be at the same time as a widespread increase in 20 mph zones in residential areas.

With one hand they giveth and with the other, they taketh away.

If and when it happens (but I expect another of their consultation documents first, they do like consulting, they do).