The fourth Doctor/Tom Baker

13»

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Too many jokes, woefully cheap production that they make no effort to hide, some very bad direction, completely OTT performance from main villain...

In fact, that sums up most of Season 17. ;)
    Season 17 tends to split the fans opinion, some love it, some don't. Personally, I don't. Too OTT villains and silly jokes. Tom revelled in it of course, as he was good at humour. Only story I like from that Season is City of Death.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Season 17 tends to split the fans opinion, some love it, some don't. Personally, I don't. Too OTT villains and silly jokes. Tom revelled in it of course, as he was good at humour. Only story I like from that Season is City of Death.

Season 17 is proof that while Douglas Adams was a brilliant mind and a wonderful writer, he couldn't script-edit to save his life.

How anyone can think Bidmead was not a better script editor is beyond me.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    From 1974 to 1980, though, Tom Baker never had a bad story.
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Can you lend me your rose-tinted spectacles when you're finished with them? :D:D:D
    No, it's true. Baker never had a bad story. He had quite a few. :p
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I really liked Destiny when it was first shown, because as a child even though I obviously knew all about the Daleks it was the first Dalek story that I'd ever actually seen on TV (no videos or even repeats back in those days). I remember being really angry though because as soon as a dalek eventually showed up it was the end of the episode and I had to wait until next week to see more!

Having seen many of the other classic Dalek stories now though, it really is weak in comparison.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I like about Underworld is that it gives some backstory about why the Time Lords have their non-interference policy. Also, the overuse of CSO carries a certain morbid fascination and suspense (How rubbish will this next shot look?)! :D
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    I really liked Destiny when it was first shown, because as a child even though I obviously knew all about the Daleks it was the first Dalek story that I'd ever actually seen on TV (no videos or even repeats back in those days). I remember being really angry though because as soon as a dalek eventually showed up it was the end of the episode and I had to wait until next week to see more!

Having seen many of the other classic Dalek stories now though, it really is weak in comparison.

It was my first Dalek story too - and you never forget your first time! :D

I remember the anticipation throughout episode one - waiting for the Daleks to appear. Pretty dramatic stuff when they finally did - and Lalla was superb!

Overall the story is a mixture of good and bad special effects/production values: good bits include the arrival of the Movellan spaceship in episode one and the blowing up of the Daleks in episode four.

Poor special effects/production values include the extermination of the dull extras who all look as though they'll die of boredom before any Dalek even shouts the word "exterminate"; the patched up/gaffer taped Daleks in the studio, and poor old Davros and his ill-fitting mask!