Options

Do you still ever buy CDs or do you download all of your music now?

Comments

• Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Spotify and YouTube lots, but still buy CDs. I want a copy that I own, and that (with reasonable care) will never require backing up. Then I can rip it to whatever format I need at any time.

I have bought two downloads in my life. One of those is now useless (even if I could find the file ;) ) because the DRM system is obsolete.

The quality of everything these days, even CDs, is pretty random - but at least you're on slightly safer ground with CDs.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I buy vinyl in charity shops and use Spotify.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I buy CDs but most of the time I download. I still love browsing at CD fairs and shops for anything interesting to listen to. And should this be in the Music section?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I prefer to buy Albums on CD, for single tracks i prefer to download them from amazon.co.uk
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I buy cd's
  • Options
    Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    potatolegs wrote: »
    Do you still buy CDs or do you download all of your songs now?

I can't remember the last time I bought a CD.

When I was much younger I used to like getting the CD booklet as it had new photos of the star (didn't see as many celeb photos of certain stars before the web) and sometimes they had lyrics to the songs and they usually had a dedications page on the back :p

Every thing is virtual these days.
    We're going to be the last generation able to purchase physical formats of any media I reckon.

I can finally see the benefits of downloading and buying music from the comfort of my own home.

In what was a lot of the time 'hard to reach' for reasons being that these tracks naturally lost it's shelf-life and were subsequently deleted, I bought 11 tracks from Itunes for less that a tenner.

The quality of the sound is stereo of which really put a smile on my face and albeit an amplifier and some serious speakers, I am happy in my entertainment :)

I can always back these files up, and even have the option of transferring these individually onto a blank CD.

I enjoyed my vinyl, but I really think this is a cost effective and a domestically an advantages approach, where I wouldn't have to be carrying a rucksack or boxes of cds/records when I'm going away, but just my laptop:cool:
  • Options
    potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Is Itunes quality as good as CD quality though?
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i buy CDs and then rip them so i have the best of both worlds. CD quality at home and a rip for on the move

i just hate spending money on a few meg of data.
  • Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowhere to buy CDs where I live so I tend to buy downloads. I know I can buy CDs on line but it's not the same as having a good browse in a shop.:(
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have started buying LPs again.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    ill stick with CDs at least i own them

did bruce willis win his case against itunes?
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LP's and CD's for me, although I do store a copy of them at 355 Kbps on my PC. I still like the cover and inlays.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    LP's and CD's for me, although I do store a copy of them at 355 Kbps on my PC. I still like the cover and inlays.

Why not just store a lossless copy on your PC and enjoy the music as it was intended to be heard?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ill stick with CDs at least i own them

did bruce willis win his case against itunes?

He never started one. It was just an internet rumour that grew legs.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironically when i CAN'T download something i'll look for it in shops!!!

A v MONKEY KONG was impossible to get, but i gout it from THATS ENTERTAINMENT in glasgow for £2 :D
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still buy music DVDs. Haven't found many that I like so far, though. Just made a topic about it in the Music board.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    If I really like an album I do buy the CD. Amazon only tend to charge £1 more for a CD compared to the digital version (sometimes the gap is smaller or cheaper) and for that, I get the album in uncompressed quality, I rip it for my iTunes and I can play the original in my car.

Until they make digital albums much cheaper than CDs, I'll probably still keep buying the physical releases.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oldnbold wrote: »
    Hells bells - I wonder what my LP's are worth :p

or my 78's;)

I still buy CD's occasionally

I can't be bothered with this down load malarky
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    CDs all the way for me and will continue to be so. The superior sound quality is the key issue here and you also just can't beat having the physical CD, liner notes/artwork in your hands.

I've never downloaded any music other than saving the odd Youtube video. I can only ever imagine doing so if an album I really wanted was only ever going to be released in that format.Hopefully, CDs will still continue to be manufactured for those that want them, and this thread so far indicates that to be the case.

I'll use an MP3 player/USB stick for in the car or on holidays generally just for ease of use, although I still have a good selection of Sony CD players and headphones at my disposal.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Why not just store a lossless copy on your PC and enjoy the music as it was intended to be heard?

I could do, but I generally listen to music on a turntable and CD player. I use my PC to store an electronic version, which is good for background music or transferring to the car.

I'd also need to upgrade the speakers on the PC for more regular use, at the moment I just use an Edifer setup.

I rip them to WMA format, which is pretty good and does have a lossless version (which since writing this message, I have now selected).

How do you do yours?
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I download and also buy CDs. I just think that although downloading is quick and easy and allows access to loads of music it is completely and utterly boring and faceless.

I used to going and buying a CD or Cassette (vinyl when I was very young), and actually having something I could hold, look at and own. Part of the listening experience was reading the booklet, and singing along to the lyrics. I still remember buying Oasis Be Here Now and sitting in my bedroom playing it for the first time while reading the cover notes and looking at the artwork. It's probably nostalgia for my youth, but downloading an album from I-Tunes and playing it on the hifi now via "air play" from the I pad just isn't the same. Yes it's easy and more convenient but there is something missing.

Don't even get me started on the lost joy of buying a 45rpm single and singing along to it whilst watching it go round and round on the turntable. . .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do you do yours?

I just rip all mine straight to FLAC and then throw them across onto the NAS. That way, all my music is available across the entire network.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just rip all mine straight to FLAC and then throw them across onto the NAS. That way, all my music is available across the entire network.

The artists will be well impressed
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

If someone has a home network then they should be legally allowed to have songs that they have purchased to listen to anywhere in the house. The Artist / Record Industry has already got their money from the sale, having it on numerous devices in the same house & portable players that you own to listen to when away from home, should be a legal entitlement. It is only a matter of time before the law is changed so that people who purchase cd's are allowed to rip their cd's legally.

Imho a CD / DVD should only be purchased the once, and customers should be able to listen to or view on any device they chose to, regardless of the format it is in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

Care to explain, or are you just flapping your gums without engaging your brain first?