Options

St Shirley Carter

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Mick can think for himself. If he wanted a relationship with his dad, he would tell Shirley to mind her own business but he doesn't like Stan himself

Shirley is a flawed character but is interesting to watch imo

Yes this! Mick has hardly seen Shirley in years, I doubt she has much of a hold over him. If he was that bothered by the way she treats Stan and wanted relationship with him, she'd probably throw her out.

I love Shirley, always have, I think she's a brilliant character, but of a crappy person, but great to watch.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    If you're going to pick a character to obsess over Shirley isn't the obvious choice. Not very loveable is she?

Hold up haha, I only said I liked the character, I don't think that constitutes to an obsession...haha
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Hold up haha, I only said I liked the character, I don't think that constitutes to an obsession...haha

No you're not obsessed just joking around, but there are people around who pick the most unlikely actors to worship. Now if it was johnny depp I could understand it! But some people in EE like Max, I will never understand the love there.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's annoying. The rest of her family are much better. Hopefully they shun her if she was the one that tried to drown Mick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No you're not obsessed just joking around, but there are people around who pick the most unlikely actors to worship. Now if it was johnny depp I could understand it! But some people in EE like Max, I will never understand the love there.

Haha I did think that was a bit of a jump, I do like Linda Henry as an actress but in a general 'she's a decent actress way'.
    Oh come on, Max and his shoe scuffing? what's not to love?? Johnny Depp doesn't even get a look in. :D:D haahaa
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not bothered about people agreeing with me, I merely meant that I'd stick with that view as it is one that I share. No offence but, I couldn't really give a monkeys if you disagree with me..
    A lot of folk do take soaps too seriously, especially on here..this is a prime example, i'm not going to get into a long debate over a fictional character. haa:D:o

Nobody's forcing you to reply to my posts in a conversation that you yourself started sweet cheeks. :D

haa
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Nobody's forcing you to reply to my posts in a conversation that you yourself started sweet cheeks. :D

haa

There's a difference between replying and not getting into a debate love...:D
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between replying and not getting into a debate love...:D

But what are we doing as we post but debating? :D

If you weren't interested you would have stopped by now. But I have a hold over you, tying you to this thread.

Muahahahahaha. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    But what are we doing as we post but debating? :D

If you weren't interested you would have stopped by now. But I have a hold over you, tying you to this thread.

Muahahahahaha. :D

Well, I was originally just posting my opinion but damn you, drawing me into the world of soap debating. I.....must....resist...
    hahaha:D
  • Options
    BakervichBakervich Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shirley is great. The end.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, so much hate. I love Shirley. She is deeply flawed and has so many different layers. She doesn't half get a hard time on here. She is well liked on Twitter and Facebook so i'll stick with that!

I love Shirley too, she can be as mean and bitchy as she likes! Easily one of the best characters in EE IMO. It's the way she delivers her withering one line jokes. She has great timing.

I also like the fact that she is completely dysfunctional with no regard for doing anything the right way. Keep it up Shirl !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I love Shirley too, she can be as mean and bitchy as she likes! Easily one of the best characters in EE IMO. It's the way she delivers her withering one line jokes. She has great timing.

I also like the fact that she is completely dysfunctional with no regard for doing anything the right way. Keep it up Shirl !!!

Exactly! I like how they have her voice opinions that most people think but wouldn't say out loud! Her comedic timing and delivery of lines is always spot on.
    I love characters that are flawed, damaged and who do things in completely unorthodox ways. Shirley is the epitome of that, she is definitely one of the top characters and always brilliant to watch!
    Nice to know i'm not entirely alone on this forum haha. :D:D Get in!
  • Options
    BakervichBakervich Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly! I like how they have her voice opinions that most people think but wouldn't say out loud! Her comedic timing and delivery of lines is always spot on.
    I love characters that are flawed, damaged and who do things in completely unorthodox ways. Shirley is the epitome of that, she is definitely one of the top characters and always brilliant to watch!
    Nice to know i'm not entirely alone on this forum haha. :D:D Get in!

She is so entertaining to watch. I like to watch telebox for entertainment and Shirl always entertains me therefore she is marvellous!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bakervich wrote: »
    She is so entertaining to watch. I like to watch telebox for entertainment and Shirl always entertains me therefore she is marvellous!

My sentiments exactly. If all characters were 'good, decent and lovable' then they wouldn't be nearly as entertaining!
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Wow, so much hate. I love Shirley. She is deeply flawed and has so many different layers. She doesn't half get a hard time on here. She is well liked on Twitter and Facebook so i'll stick with that!

This!

I like her as well and totally agree she is multi layered and deeply flawed.

I get why people on here don't like her though, because she is a misery and a lousy mother but she wasn't born that way something happened to her to make her the way she is and i'm really looking forward to finding out exactly what that is!
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Shirley BECAUSE she's deeply flawed.

The square would be a boring place if everyone was written to be likeable.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

People don't need or want your understanding to like a character. It's called a differing viewpoint
  • Options
    nathan69nathan69 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bakervich wrote: »

Dog ugly and a hard nosed cow, but she does get my attention
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some of what Stan said got through to her
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

People don't need or want your understanding to like a character. It's called a differing viewpoint

Wind your neck back in dear, I never said anyone needed my understanding. I am quite free to sit here trying to understand why someone likes a character. I want to understand the appeal. Because sometimes I can't see any.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to understand the appeal. Because sometimes I can't see any.

I know what you mean. I can never understand why anyone likes Stacey. I just don't see anything appealing about the character aside from the fact she's played by a good actress which means nothing to me if the character doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I can see why people like Shirley. She has her moments but overall I think she's hideous:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean. I can never understand why anyone likes Stacey. I just don't see anything appealing about the character aside from the fact she's played by a good actress which means nothing to me if the character doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I can see why people like Shirley. She has her moments but overall I think she's hideous:p

Stacey dives many fans really. With some fans absolutely loving her and some absolutely detest her. There never really seems to be even ground with her. I have never seen a character that has divided fans so much.

Speaking for myself, I really enjoy the character because she is a good person at heart, a survivor after all her hardships, also a person who makes mistakes on several occasions. I might not necessarily agree with some of her lifestyle choices, but she is the definition of a flawed human being. And of course the actress being superb and has marvellous chemistry with the rest of the cast that shines through on screen, is just the icing on the cake :D.

I can see why many people dislike her character as she doesn't have much of a moral compass, does she now? :p
  • Options
    PrincessRivPrincessRiv Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    Stacey dives many fans really. With some fans absolutely loving her and some absolutely detest her. There never really seems to be even ground with her. I have never seen a character that has divided fans so much.

Speaking for myself, I really enjoy the character because she is a good person at heart, a survivor after all her hardships, also a person who makes mistakes on several occasions. I might not necessarily agree with some of her lifestyle choices, but she is the definition of a flawed human being. And of course the actress being superb and has marvellous chemistry with the rest of the cast that shines through on screen, is just the icing on the cake :D.

I can see why many people dislike her character as she doesn't have much of a moral compass, does she now? :p

Stacey's moral compass has been lacking in the past sure, her affair with Max, not clearing Bradley's name sooner, I get why she murdered Archie though. At least when it came to Alice and Kat's lies she seemed genuinely against it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for Shirley, I do like her. her one liners can be very sharp! Her accompanying chewing on a wasp face helps deliver the sting in awesome fashion!

She can be selfish, like with Hev, though she genuinely loved Hev and I believe she loved Phil and would have done anything for him.

If indeed, she did try to drown baby brother that would pose all sorts of family issues which would be interesting to explore. Her bad parenting is also rife for exploration now as Dean is back. Three generations of Carters are there to show how abuse of any nature can be passed down the generations. I hope EE see this through with intelligence and not sensationalism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be a Shirl fest tonight!

:D