Options

9.4 MILLION People CHOOSE to pay SKY....

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    turbos wrote: »
    No, disagree with that

Why should we be forced to pay this, I watch nothing on BBC and dont listen to their radio stations etc

What do you watch then?

Anyway, you're NOT forced. If you don't use their services, don't pay the licence fee! Do you feel the same about things like national insurance and council tax? Would you feel aggrieved about paying into a service that you don't use?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    If the BBC really were "popular" and "the nations favourite" I somehow doubt so many households would bother to pay a lot of money to Sky every year.

By that logic, people must also be dissatisfied with the output of ITV, Channel 4 and five - all of which are available free on terrestrial (free at the point of delivery, at any rate, not including the marketing budgets of companies and government departments which advertise on those channels).

Which kind of destroys the argument that commercial TV provides a good enough alternative and that we don't need the BBC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    What do you watch then?

Anyway, you're NOT forced. If you don't use their services, don't pay the licence fee! Do you feel the same about things like national insurance and council tax? Would you feel aggrieved about paying into a service that you don't use?

I can assure you, there are vast amounts of non-BBC content available on both Sky, Virgin Media etc.

Yes, you are forced to pay it. It's not a simple case of not paying it. If you don't pay, you can't get Sky, Virgin Media etc either!
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaveBTCC wrote: »
    By that logic, people must also be dissatisfied with the output of ITV, Channel 4 and five - all of which are available free on terrestrial (free at the point of delivery, at any rate, not including the marketing budgets of companies and government departments which advertise on those channels).

Which kind of destroys the argument that commercial TV provides a good enough alternative and that we don't need the BBC.

If the BBC were doing it's job who in their right mind would pay hundreds each year to Sky?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the BBC were doing it's job who in their right mind would pay hundreds each year to Sky?

Again, by extension, what does that say about ITV, Channel 4 and five? Three large commercial players who by your logic don't provide good enough programming.

I subscribe to Sky, voluntarily, for extra choice; not as an alternative to watching the BBC. The two aren't mutually exclusive. If you had evidence that those Sky subscribers don't watch the BBC then you might have a point. But you haven't, so you don't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member

I want to watch new movies and live Premier League football which the BBC could not afford or at least justify paying for, that's why I have Sky. And I think I'm in my right mind.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Why should we be forced to pay this, I watch nothing on BBC and dont listen to their radio stations etc

Don't fib, just a quick look at your previous says you watch East Enders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can assure you, there are vast amounts of non-BBC content available on both Sky, Virgin Media etc.

Yes, you are forced to pay it. It's not a simple case of not paying it. If you don't pay, you can't get Sky, Virgin Media etc either!

...then, providing someone doesn't use their services, maybe they should refuse to pay and bring a test case to court.

PS) I can assure you that there are vast amounts of syndicated programmes produced by the BBC that are shown on non-BBC channels. Because someone doesn't watch a BBC channel (for example) doesn't mean that they don't watch a BBC programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, disagree with that

Don't fib, just a quick look at your previous says you watch East Enders.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schoolboy error!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=31769903&postcount=385
  • Options
    bhr1bhr1 Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, my life. Can we PLEASE have a separate section for BBC. I'm sick of coming into the Broadcast section and half of the threads are to do with the BBC with 90% to do with the license fee or expenses.

For the record, I am happy to pay both Sky and the License Fee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhr1 wrote: »
    Oh, my life. Can we PLEASE have a separate section for BBC. I'm sick of coming into the Broadcast section and half of the threads are to do with the BBC with 90% to do with the license fee or expenses.

For the record, I am happy to pay both Sky and the License Fee.

The irony is that you continue to contribute to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...and what would it take for the BBC to 'do their job'? I mean, what programmes would they need to show and how much extra would you be willing to pay for it?
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Sky have 9.4 million subscribers and that number is increasing daily.

Most subscriptions are [annually] 2 or 3 times the TV Licence fee - Is this a sign of what little entertainment the BBC offers

Would the same number CHOOSE to pay the BBC?

I think not. Its time the Licence fee was scrapped and people given the choice.

yes.

if you completely ignore the fact that no two non BBC channels are watched as much as BBC1 and BBC2.

if you completely fail to appreciate the significance of the fact that just 4% or so of channels of Sky (ie the BBC channels) make up for roughly 33% of viewing.

you don't need to be a maths genius to recognise that that is hugely disproportionately high.

good idea for a thread though.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    13 million people dont have a choice. Not really the same thing is it?!

so Steve, do you think that choice, and choice alone should be the only consideration?

Iain
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    And what quality programming does sky actually make? 95% of Skys channel contents is pap TV. I think the move to sky is mainly due to there monopoly over Sport and there superior HD offerings.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Noone, well certainly not me, is saying that people who pay for Sky NEVER watch the BBC.

What I am saying is, that despite this so-called huge entertainment package offered to us by the BBC, 9.4 million people still choose to take out a Sky subscription at considerable additional cost.

Well if you want all that is on the Sky platform you'll need Sky, you wouldn't expect it all from the BBC at the same licence cost would you?

Incidentally, most of the BBC shows broadcast were not made by the BBC either...and still are not.

How many on Sky are made by Sky?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still a lot of course, surprised me! I would imagine that means a lot more than 9million people have Sky since it would be a household thing.

If the BBC really were "popular" and "the nations favourite" I somehow doubt so many households would bother to pay a lot of money to Sky every year.

that's like arguing that football isn't popular because people spend more time not playing or watching football than they spend playing or watching football.

its like arguing that coronation street isn't popular because people spend more time watching something other than coronation street.

its like arguing that titanic isn't very popular, even though its the highest grossing movie ever, because every other movie added together grossed more than titanic did.

no two non BBC channels are watched as much as BBC1 and BBC2.

how can that mean anything other than the fact that BBC1 and BBC2 are very popular?

anyway, i've made this point several times before, but it always gets ignored.

so i don't suppose this time will be any different...

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    ...then, providing someone doesn't use their services, maybe they should refuse to pay and bring a test case to court.

PS) I can assure you that there are vast amounts of syndicated programmes produced by the BBC that are shown on non-BBC channels. Because someone doesn't watch a BBC channel (for example) doesn't mean that they don't watch a BBC programme.

I'm surprised no-one has taken this to court already (or it simply wasn't reported). However, with the constant resentment of paying the TV License Fee (on DigitalSpy alone), I'm surprised more individuals haven't.

For the record, I'm not against the TV License Fee. I regularly enjoy BBC content (The Street, Life of Riley, Scott Mills etc). However, I still feel that it's entirely possible to view TV and listen to the radio, without having experienced any BBC content.

I think the issue most people have, is not necessarily the cost of the TV License Fee. But how it is spent. I would too be against it if I felt that a large %age was for TV personalitites salaries.
  • Options
    bhr1bhr1 Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The irony is that you continue to contribute to them.

If you look at my post history, you will see that I don't!?:confused:
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a117470/sky-nears-9m-subs-reduces-churn.html

The DS article claims 8.95million not 9.4million.

It's still a lot of course, surprised me! I would imagine that means a lot more than 9million people have Sky since it would be a household thing.

All BBC channels are available for a next-to-nothing one-off cost, the Freeview box. So why would people therefore reject such a cheap option?

Because, whether they wish to admit it to themselves or not, the BBC does not offer much of quality or worth nowadays.

Except they're not rejecting it.

Even in Pay-TV homes, the majority of viewing is to NON-PAY channels.

You don't seem to realise that not EVERYONE subscribes for the TV.

Sky have been rather clever moving into broadband and telecoms.

Now, if the BBC were to move into this too......
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    if you completely ignore the fact that no two non BBC channels are watched as much as BBC1 and BBC2.

That's like saying the two most used types of public transport within London are the Underground and buses, so therefore they must be the best way of getting around. BBC is the only channel that has two stations within the basic five that everyone gets. A monkey holding a remote would have the BBC on more than any other channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhr1 wrote: »
    If you look at my post history, you will see that I don't!?:confused:

I have and you do.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    That's like saying the two most used types of public transport within London are the Underground and buses, so therefore they must be the best way of getting around. BBC is the only channel that has two stations within the basic five that everyone gets. A monkey holding a remote would have the BBC on more than any other channel.

Well no it inst like saying that. It is saying for all of the choice that is on the many Sky channels the most watched channels on SKY are BBC1 and BBC2. **EDIT** as well as all of the terrestrial channels

I think many are confusing the amount of people that have SKY to mean that they have SKY because they do not want the BBC, it just isn't the case.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That report is a year old!

See today's article which says:

"Sky now has 9.442m customers, with annual net customer additions of 462,000 "

NB. 8,980,000 at June 2008 + net additions of 462,000 = 9,442,000 at June 2009!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a168273/customer-growth-hd-takeup-drive-sky-profits.html
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have 9.4 million subscribers and that number is increasing daily.

Most subscriptions are [annually] 2 or 3 times the TV Licence fee - Is this a sign of what little entertainment the BBC offers

Would the same number CHOOSE to pay the BBC?

I think not. Its time the Licence fee was scrapped and people given the choice.

Errr sorry but even Sky's cheapest package is higher than licence fee + you get to watch adverts with sky!

As mentioned already Licence fee funds their radio stations, Internet services, TV channels and interactive services and HD channel all without adverts. So I say licence fee represents much more value than anything Sky offers.

By the way I am one of 9.4 million Sky subscribers as well.