What would you consign to the tech scrapheap?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    In conversations about Win8 and Metro, someone uses the expression "desktop app", it can take (me!) a few seconds to realise they're actually talking about an EXE program.

If someone said "desktop app" to me, an exe is precisely what I'd think they were talking about.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Microsoft Outlook. How can any company justify selling a non multi-threaded e-mail client in 2013? Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Oh, and phones with styluses. It makes the user look like they've still got a Palm Pilot :p

Outlook has had 'conversation view' since 2010.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    If someone said "desktop app" to me, an exe is precisely what I'd think they were talking about.
    Unless they're referring to the Metro tile which invokes the desktop, maybe?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to use it for a university assignment back in early 2009 and my god it was horrendous!
    The use of databases is not something you can pick up in a couple of hours. Sounds more of an issue of concepts rather than application usage.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    The use of databases is not something you can pick up in a couple of hours. Sounds more of an issue of concepts
    Agreed. Terminology can also be a serious barrier.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    The use of databases is not something you can pick up in a couple of hours. Sounds more of an issue of concepts rather than application usage.

We only had a few weeks to do the assignment in. How can you learn MS Access in a few weeks? It must take some people a couple of years to learn it properly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you learn MS Access in a few weeks?
    You can't , which is why you criticism is invalid.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    For me, netbooks.

They were innovative a few years ago, cheap, with good specs and portable. Then everyone jumped on the bandwagon and bought out their own version.

Now phones have caught up, and are more powerful than the little MSI Wind I have gathering dust under the coffee table.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google, windows phones.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Outlook has had 'conversation view' since 2010.
    The "multi-threaded" aspect is related to its core programming routines, not how it displays mails. Outlook bloody PAUSES when downloading e-mails!! Any decently written mail client would allow you to continue typing, scrolling, deleting mails or dragging them to folders etc. whilst mail was being downloaded.

Not Outlook. It's far too badly programmed for that, and because Microsoft have no competition on the enterprise e-mail space they see no reason to fix it. Exactly how they used to be with Internet Explorer before Firefox and Chrome came along.
    Forum Member
    You can't , which is why you criticism is invalid.

I know, but we were made to do a relational database and mess with queries and all that and none of us knew what it meant. The lecturer explained it but it wasn't really enough. Most of us were struggling.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I know, but we were made to do a relational database and mess with queries and all that and none of us knew what it meant. The lecturer explained it but it wasn't really enough. Most of us were struggling.

That doesn't make the software bad though.
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    That doesn't make the software bad though.

Probably not, but unless you know what you are doing and have the relevant qualifications and training then most people wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole!
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Probably not, but unless you know what you are doing and have the relevant qualifications and training then most people wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole!

Yeah...but why does complicated software need to go on the tech scrapheap?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to use it for a university assignment back in early 2009 and my god it was horrendous! You need a PhD in computer science to be able to work it. I never want to use that clunky piece of sh1t again if I can help it. I'm sure there are other database programs out there that are not as clunky as M$ Access. Argh! I hate Microsoft :mad:

Try linking it via cobol for a uni assignment...must of taken about 2-3000 lines of code to get it done before we even hit the actual procedural crap....people these days are well looked after ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not aimed at most people. There are other applications available but likely you would send them to the scrapheap on the basis that you find Object Orientated programming difficult or too hard to follow.
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Yeah...but why does complicated software need to go on the tech scrapheap?

Because it's awful for the most part unless you have a PhD in computer science and how many users would have that?
    It's not aimed at most people. There are other applications available but likely you would send them to the scrapheap on the basis that you find Object Orientated programming difficult or too hard to follow.

I don't even know what Object Orientated Programming is! My undergrad degree was in business, not IT. Can't understand why they'd make business students learn to use MS Access.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's awful for the most part unless you have a PhD in computer science and how many users would have that?
    Perhaps you are thinking that because it is part of the wider office suite, then it should be easy to do something basic. However, the entry level understanding for a database application is far higher than a simple word processed document
    Can't understand why they'd make business students learn to use MS Access.
    Perhaps because all businesses use databases? I should have thought that a business student would understand that it is important to use the right tool for the job and not everyone is equipped to use every tool available.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    computers in SINGLE CASINGS!
    how about MODular COMPuting?

where the machine is in different parts, and with the ease of simply taking out a lead and putting another one back in, the same upgradability of a PC can be done .... even a five year old could do it :D

the casings could be stylishly covered, custom coverings, you could even spray paint them ..... then you can arrange them any way you want, on the desk, or even on your WALL!!!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My university uses Office 365 for their email system and they changed the layout today and it's vile. It's been Windows 8-ified and it's got to the point where I'm going to use Gmail all the time. I think it's fit for the tech scrapheap. I'd also consign:

Windows 8
    Windows Vista
    The ribbon toolbar in MS Office
    Norton AntiVirus
    McAfee Antivirus
    Microsoft Access
    What software or hardware would you consign o the scrapheap?
    3D TV's
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your reading Law? Why would you have to be messing with Access ?
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Your reading Law? Why would you have to be messing with Access ?

I'm doing a law degree as a postgrad but my undergrad was in business and it was while I was doing my business degree that I had to mess with Access.
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google, as most of their products are now depressing shadows of their former selves! :cry:
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm doing a law degree as a postgrad but my undergrad was in business and it was while I was doing my business degree that I had to mess with Access.

That make sense. Access is a very powerful package, I've only messed with it to be honest but I used Dbase a lot in the past, harder again IHMO. Come the new year I'll start playing with CAD packages for fun...keep the grey matter ticking over :)
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to use it for a university assignment back in early 2009 and my god it was horrendous! You need a PhD in computer science to be able to work it. I never want to use that clunky piece of sh1t again if I can help it. I'm sure there are other database programs out there that are not as clunky as M$ Access. Argh! I hate Microsoft :mad:
    I've always been able to work Access, and I don't have a PhD in computer science or any PhDs for that matter! :confused: