Options

How are Doctors 1-8 involved in what happened to Gallifrey

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
Forum Member
✭✭
Firstly, this isn't a moan, I really enjoyed Day of the Doctor.

Near the end, all the Doctors were involved in the fate of Gallifrey, and the Time Lord General said the calculation would take 100s of years. Presumably this is what The Doctor has been doing all this time, but how do 1-8 know that they need to do it? Unless I've missed something (seen it twice now!).

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Near the end, all the Doctors were involved in the fate of Gallifrey, and the Time Lord General said the calculation would take 100s of years. Presumably this is what The Doctor has been doing all this time, but how do 1-8 know that they need to do it? Unless I've missed something (seen it twice now!).

The eleventh doctor (or twelfth or whatever Matt Smith is classed as now) sent out a group text. The text read "Urgent help needed guys. Bring a fez." But seriously, I was thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    The future Doctors (War 10-11) would have told them everything knowing they would forget once they got back to their timeline anyway and like the Sonic Screwdriver with the door the TARDIS would have been working on it all that time without them knowing then the future TARDIS will have linked up with the old ones so they all had the info needed
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be explained in the minisode "The Night of the Doctors on the lash"...
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll never know. They could've easily used McGann to elaborate on this...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Presumably the purpose of the screwdrivers bit was to instill the idea in the viewer that the screwdrivers could perform a calculation without the owners knowing. 11 nips back in time to 1, nicks his screwdriver, sets up the calculation. None of the old doctors need to know about it, or if they do they will forget they've done it anyway. Screwdriver happily spends hundreds of years calculating.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Clara was on Gallifrey just before the first doctor left, she could have set it up then.
  • Options
    SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Clara was on Gallifrey just before the first doctor left, she could have set it up then.

Best idea that I have heard:D
  • Options
    newman2005newman2005 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    so gallifrey is no longer time locked?
    is that right.
    gotya
    oooh , it is handy all the doctor's forget it when they return to their own timelines though.

Er......
    wouldnt the motivation for Ecleston's doctor moving forward have changed somewhat now the "deaths are not his.....oh no....sorry he would have forgotten the change........
    soooo only
    Matt Smith's doctor onwards knows about all eleven other doctor's doing the event....I ...see....

oh and
    Queen Lizzy is a goer...who killed a zygone and understood the concept of 3d paintings and locking people in a moment of time.
    apparently......

i must also point out that i loved every minute of it to. would have liked more
    Spitting Dalton

newman
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this myself, also the lack of future Doctors past Capaldi. It would be far easier to get future Doctors there because they would remember it.

My only theory is that the current Doctor knows where he's been so he could visit somewhere and leave a message for his old self (cf. River Song and "Hello Sweetie").

Unfortunately, I think the real reason is that for a 50th celebration it was important to get all the Doctors in there somewhere. Also, any glimpses of future Doctors would be potentially dangerous in terms of casting, do they show any women or not? What age should they be etc.

Still a great scene though :)
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know that the Doctors could just communicate with each other whenever they feel like it.

If that's the case if a Doctor is in a spot of bother why doesn't he just ask a future Doctor how he got out of it?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I didn't know that the Doctors could just communicate with each other whenever they feel like it.

If that's the case if a Doctor is in a spot of bother why doesn't he just ask a future Doctor how he got out of it?

Because it was explained in the classic series that is not allowed only in a major universe ending emergency and even that that decision comes from the high council.

He had to do it this time as that was the one and only way he could do it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Could it possibly have been The Moment that took them there? She took 10 and 11 there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatton93 wrote: »
    Could it possibly have been The Moment that took them there? She took 10 and 11 there

Good point, the Moment broke all the rules when she allowed 10 and 11 into the Barn of Doom, so she/it could have alerted all the doctors incarnations at the same time, out of their usual time-stream.

So, right from Hartnell, for a millsecond and for 1200 years, they all start to calculate the quantum sums to move Gallifrey into a pocket universe.

Then they forget they ever did it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatton93 wrote: »

See, it's questions like this that prove what a shoddy job Moffat did with this story. It was perhaps the most important moment of the show's history and we don't have a clue how it happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    See, it's questions like this that prove what a shoddy job Moffat did with this story. It was perhaps the most important moment of the show's history and we don't have a clue how it happened.

We don't have a clue who the Dr really is either.

Doesn't stop us loving the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    We don't have a clue who the Dr really is either.

Doesn't stop us loving the show.

Not the same thing, the name of the show is "Doctor Who?", not "What the heck is happening?". And I'm starting to get quite annoyed by the lack of closure or explanation for Susan's storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the same thing, the name of the show is "Doctor Who?", not "What the heck is happening?". And I'm starting to get quite annoyed by the lack of closure or explanation for Susan's storyline.

You're getting annoyed that a storyline from 1963 hasn't been resolved yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    You're getting annoyed that a storyline from 1963 hasn't been resolved yet?

Yes! It's been FIFTY YEARS. It should have been dealt with last night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

See the Big Finish audios:

An Earthly Child
    Relative Dimensions
    Lucie Miller
    To the Death

After Night of the Doctor, these are now presumably canon, and you'll find some answers there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i got the impression that MS also forgot what had happened and only kinda remembered when the curator jogged his memory.

13 would know if 13 found(finds) galifrey...the subsequent doctors do not need to be involved as the issue is resolved.

I'm guessing the doctor assument the moment was time locked because he forgot about the plan, but that as the event was not time locked the doctors could go & sort it out. This also give me hope for a multi doctor arc with mcgann at some point....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member

No, if he had stopped in the middle of saving the planet to explain how all the Doctor showed up it was ruin the pacing of the scene. So Moffat is relying of people to use their imagination to fill in the blanks.

I'm sorry you have no imagination
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lilgamevlr wrote: »
    No, if he had stopped in the middle of saving the planet to explain how all the Doctor showed up it was ruin the pacing of the scene. So Moffat is relying of people to use their imagination to fill in the blanks.

I'm sorry you have no imagination

That's not good storytelling. I can sit here all day imagining the 100th anniversary explaining how River is Susan's grandmother and how The Curator has settled down with Sarah Jane, but it would be a lot more fun for the writers to do their jobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Moff's only been involved for the past 8, and only the past 5 as showrunner...

If you want to get really annoyed maybe you should call Andrew Cartmel.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lilgamevlr wrote: »
    So Moffat is relying of people to use their imagination to fill in the blanks.
    Or Moffat had to shoehorn all 13 Doctor's in somehow but couldn't think of a credible explanation.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did Hartnell have a sonic screwdriver ?