DWTS Week 4; 11/04/08

pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
Forum Member
VW and Paso week. I love the paso so was really looking forward to it. I get such a lovely feeling hearing the theme music, remembering those 3 months when SCD and Mattesha became my life...

It's weird seeing Len in the baddie role but he's definitely now the baddie of the show. Carrie Ann is my fave of the 3; I don't think it's possible to dislike her and she wears fabulous dresses!

Kristi & Mark - Mark is gorgeous but he did his irritating open mouth fish thing so it wasn't just the tango. This couple bore me, I'm afraid, and I'm patiently waiting for a Gabby/Sabrina style surprise eviction. They did a paso which was good, but I ddn't enjoy it as much as the judges.

Marlee & Fabian - she's my new fave! Her VW made me cry - the only time that has happened was in SCD5 with Matt and Alesha, so that says a lot! I didn't think it was technically great, but there's something moving about someone who's deaf being able to dance a VW in time to the music.

Priscilla & Louis - she did a good VW but it wasn't one of my favourites. Not feeling this couple at all...

Jason & Edyta - very commendable VW though he did look clumsy at the start, but then he's 6'6! He got 2 10s and it was great to see someone else in top spot with the Yamaguchi.

Mario & Karina - I really liked Mario's paso; I'm impressed with Karina's choreography. I thought Len was a bit harsh with his comments and score.

Marisa & Tony - she did a fair paso but I didn't think she was as good as the judges made out. Her eyes during the dance reminded me of Alesha's when she forgot her steps but Marisa just looked scared. It was nice to see someone so happy to get good comments and good scores.

Christian & Cheryl - this was the best paso of the night, in fact one of the best pasos I've seen on the show. Real paso music helped! Could have done without Cheryl's blatant advertisement of her new dance studio, though..

Shannon & Derek - Len thought it was the best dance of the evening, and I (sort of) agree, definitely the best VW of the evening.

Adam & Julianne - Oh dear. As Carrie Ann said - it was smooth, it was dramatic, your turns were fantastic, then you got off the unicycle! A part of me wants them to stay in as The Hough is my fave pro on the show, but enough already! I hope he goes tonight.

Sheryl Crow - love this song (all I wanna do) and the pro dance - chacha-esque.

The children - they were very good but there's something arrested development-esque about children so young dancing ballroom and latin. I suppose that's how all the pros started...

Pleased to see Adam booted off; he can't dance and some of his jokes were too close to the knuckle. But his farewell speech was nice, for a change. So we'll have a new pro winner - no hat-trick for the Hoff..

There was a segment I liked tonight which I hope we'll see on SCD 6 - the pros talking about what happens when they dance to the guest artist. Although I'm sure it'll be relegated to ITT if it happens!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44,323
    Forum Member
    i like the Guch, but she seems so isolated, in teh green room/red room/ room where they get their scores, shes always sat on her own and it just makes me want to hug her :):):):)

Priscilla is my 2nd fave...but she needs to LOOSEN up!
    the crawling at the end of the...tango i think is what i wanna see more of! :D

And Shannon should stay long long longgg, shes just so nice, i thought shed be a right diva.

Mario can go, dislike him.
  • martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fetl this was a slighty better show than the previous week.

Samantha had her hair done up, again, for the main show. Some complicated bundles round the back. That must have taken ages. But very classy.

Many of the costumes were quite striking this week.

Kristi & Mark
    I felt the same way as Len about this performance - it was too similar to last weeks' tango. It was technically excellent. But, for some reason, it wasn't exciting. Mark and Kristi's costumes were very classy (maroon velvet and gold). Mark seemed the only pro male paso dancer not showing his chest. No gimmicks required here.

As with last weeks's tango, I didn't care for their music. Paso music, for me, needs to be emphatically paso, and this wasn't.

Like "pasodable"'s comments (above) I find Mark's "open mouth fish thing" irritating. But Mark's very professional and everything he does is deliberate. He does this to try to give the impression that he's having a great time. (It's like Karen Hardy's fake grin thing).

It must be very hard for this couple to know what more they can do. (Most other dancers have a clear set of weaknesses they can aim at improving). If Kristi & Mark were to deliver perfect performances over the next 6 weeks, and they could, would they still get vote of the American public. I doubt it. I think they could become "boring".

The mambo that Kristi did in week 2 was exciting, partly because we saw her struggling to overcome some inhibition, and succeeding. Maybe we need to see something more of Kristi being vulnerable and human.

Priscilla & Louis
    I don't care much for Louis as a pro dancer, he seems small (although he isn't) and a bit casual and not really dominating Priscilla.

This dance didn't do much for me.

Adam & Julianne
    Julianne looked gorgeous, great hair and make-up, and superb outfit - white top, and billowing red and black skirt. Her performance at the start too was great. The only thing wrong with the performance was Adam. He was very entertaining, in a Chris-Parker sort of way. I'm really sorry that we won't be seeing much more of Julianne, my favourite dancer my miles, unless it's in the pro dances in the results shows.

Marlee & Fabian
    This dance had a very soft and flowing feel to it. Their costumes - his white, and hers peach, with flowers in her hair, were very fitting too.

While the scores were being announced I was mentally comparing Fabian with Louis, and Fabian was standing tall besides Marlee. He looked very smart.

Mario & Karina
    I thought Karina's outfit was stunning (red flowing satin fringed with gold). But I didn't like the music, or care much for the choreography.

Jason & Edyta
    The practice session began with Edyta saying that Jason was "unpolished" and he needed to treat her more "like a lady". What? Is this coming from the same Edyta who practices in the backless sideless loose tops. The following "Medeval Times" clip was quite good. (Though really it should have been Jason taking Edyta to a finishing school to teach her how to be a lady.)

As for the dance - I thought that a VW ought to be about continous twirling and swaying, with occasional changes of direction, and that it demanded stamina. For me, this dance had too many stops for posing and such, and it was too slow. I would have given it a 7, not 10's. I think that, as last week, Jason is being overmarked. I don't know if the judges want to try to give an impression that someone else is as good as Kristi.

Christian & Cheryl
    Not sure about those cape costumes, possibly need to call the style police, though they were quite innovative.

As for the dance - good paso music, though it waned a bit. Christian's performance was very macho and he executed it with a lot of the right attitude. A good effort.

Christian was sporting a sort of short beard along his chin line. This was similar to one worn by Mario the previous week. I wonder if it was a make-up device.

I like Cheryl, as a dancer, but I'm still waiting to see her in an outfit that wows me this season.

Shannon & Derek
    We saw Edyta at the Medieval Times training school. Well, Shannon really did look like some romantic vison from Arthurian legend. A Guinevere. I liked this VW, lots and lots of twirling and very rhythmic. And almost a kiss at the end (will they? did they?).

Interesting comments from Carrie about being relaxed and "letting her body find its own movement".

Like Len, I thought this was the best dance of the night.

In the results show Derek said that if they'd been chosen to do the encore dance, then they would have done the kiss. I think that should have been the other way round: if they'd done the kiss in the main show, then they'd have been chosen to do the encore.

Marissa & Tony
    I didn't care for Marissa's dress. The black waistband with gold blouse coming out of the top would have looked great on someone with an hour-glass figure, but it wasn't flattering to Marissa. I found that very distracting. With her natural latino-look Marissa ought to have made a very convincing senorita, but she didn't do it for me.

As for the dance, the judges all liked it, though I didn't care for it.

Results Show

Not sure about the kiddies feature. I don't think it's good for children to obsessivly interested in a particular competitive sport at a very young age (but I don't know much about it), but then this is probably a lot better than being obsessed with Nintendo. I think the right mini-couple won. The boy had a lot of beans and personality. He said he's in it for the money. Maybe if he comes back for a few weeks and becomes well known he might get some lucrative kids advertising or appearances on US children's TV.

I liked Sheryl Crow's 2nd number. If Julianne wants to be taken seriously as a country singer, then this sort of earthy performance is the sort of thing she needs to aspire to (she's got a long way to go). The pro dance with it was classy and very nice, not over the top or silly, as champion pro dancers can sometimes be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Kristi & Mark - I love Mark as a pro dancer and I feel he gets a really rough deal being part of the 'wonder trio' so it's really hard for me to be critical of him but here goes...

I quite liked the choreography for the paso but felt that both the dance and the costumes were a little 'busy'. I think he needs to step down a gear with the choreo to allow time for Kristi to try to 'play' some emotion. Technically she is spot on. The dance had some really good highlights, but as others have said, Kristi is getting a bit 'meh'. The music again was terrible and I don't think this helps at all. I've gone from being excited to watch them to now being really apprehensive in seeing their rumba next week.

Marks 'faces' didn't bother me as much as the tango but I don't know if this was a conscious effort by the cameraman not to have too many close up shots of his face as before. Mark is such a powerful dancer that he quite often overshadows Kristi.

Marlee & Fabian - This dance was really great. Not technically great, but the emotion that she brought out was absolutely spot on. Huge kudos to Fabian for being such a fantastic teacher. Marlee is becoming more and more inspiring as the weeks go on.

Priscilla & Louis - I'm another who can't take to this couple. I don't think Priscilla will be attempting another lift after her scores landed her in the bottom 2.

Jason & Edyta - I don't know how this dance scored the way it did?? Obvious stumble and I thought Jason was quite stiff at points. As said before he so very tall so it must be really hard for him. I do like the chemistry between Jason and Edyta though.

Mario & Karina - I thought the music for this was dreadful. Worst paso music of the night. You can tell a mile off that Mario is of R&B background due to the way that he dances. I liked the choreo for this paso but felt that Mario was too 'smooth' throughout.

Marisa & Tony - Marisa stepped it up from last week but I couldn't help but to giggle throughout her dance. I don't like Tony as a dancer, teacher or choreographer so it's hard for me to have a view on this couple.

Christian & Cheryl - Christian did really well with his paso albeit with the 'shouting'. He brought the character of the dance to the floor. The paso was definitely his dance.

Shannon & Derek - Best dance of the night. Shannon 'flowed' in this dance and I thought the choreo was spot on. This is another couple that has really good chemistry but I thought it a bit much with all the 'kiss her, kiss her' chanting from the others. Derek is so good at the romantic, soft dances. The way that they are gaining momentum I quite expect a finale place for them. Shannon had quite extensive ballet training in her younger years and she really does have poise when doing the ballroom dances.

Adam & Julianne - Fantastic stuff. I'm thinking Julianne knew that they couldn't last much longer so just went for sheer entertainment factor instead. Who would have thought that a unicycle and and a paso would have gone hand in hand.

Results Show- Adam showed a sensitive side to himself and I thought that him telling Julianne that he had 'lost 20 pounds of fat but 105 pounds of angel' was a really nice sentiment. I'm going to miss Julianne on the show, especially as it is rumoured that she won't be back next season. I'm hoping that her and Mark can dance together again in a results show before the season is out.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Mark & Kristi - once again great technique and presentation. However, I found it difficult to enjoy it to the full owing to the murdering of "Blue Monday". No disrespect to the singer but it just isn't meant to be crooned! I wouldn't have minded its use for the paso if it had been sung more closely to the original.

Marlee & Fabian - lovely emotional performance. However, in common with all the VWs, not enough traditional steps, rise and fall or rotation for me.

Priscilla & Louis - they come over very well but I would level the same criticism at them as I have of Marlee and Fabian above.

Jason & Edyta - I felt bad for Jason stumbling, but would have given him a 9 certainly, but not a 10.

Mario & Karina - I was baffled by all the talk of drama and intensity in training compared with the music and approach that they used. I am not sure that Karina, well-intenioned as I am sure she is, is bringing the best out in her pupil choreographically either.

Marisa & Tony - I found the performance a bit unconvincing. Tony has clearly got issues with Carrie Ann since she criticised them last week, I think this has perhaps dogged the pair of them.

Christian & Cheryl - vast improvement in Christian this week, no more hunching over and a very convincing presentation.

Shannon & Derek - Shannon has a very natural-looking ability in the ballroom, although now I know she has some ballet training, it makes even more sense.

Adam & Julianne - I suspect they feared they may be for the chop this week and decided to either try and save themselves with novelty or at least go out with a bancg!
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kristi is definitely the best celeb dancer in the show, but all she has had to do is swap a pair of skates for a pair of dance shoes.... the learning routines, the performance, the poise, arm movements etc were all there before she started. Having said that, I find her performances cold, for me, there's no genuine emotion. I do love Mark, but agree, again he had his 'fish-face' expressions..... though not quite as much as last week!

Glad Adam has gone. Apart from the fact he couldn't - or maybe that should be WOULDN'T??? - dance, I found him unpleasant and offensive.

Of the others I really like Shannon, Jason and Mario. Not so keen on Priscilla and Marlee, and fancy Marissa as next one out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Shannon & Derek - Best dance of the night. Shannon 'flowed' in this dance and I thought the choreo was spot on. This is another couple that has really good chemistry but I thought it a bit much with all the 'kiss her, kiss her' chanting from the others. Derek is so good at the romantic, soft dances. The way that they are gaining momentum I quite expect a finale place for them. Shannon had quite extensive ballet training in her younger years and she really does have poise when doing the ballroom dances.
    Shannon took dance lessons from age 2 to 10. After that, aside from cheerleading in high school she focused on playing tennis. Supposedly, she considered going pro before she got her first modeling opportunity and ended up pursuing modeling and acting instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my gosh!! I'm loving this show!! :D
    Shannon and Derek are my favourites by far. I just love to watch them dance, their chemistry etc.

I agree with Len (and others on here) that they danced the best on Friday.

Here's a cute clip for any Shannon and Derek fans :)

http://www.etonline.com/news/2008/04/60506/index.html
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    Mark & Kristi - once again great technique and presentation. However, I found it difficult to enjoy it to the full owing to the murdering of "Blue Monday". No disrespect to the singer but it just isn't meant to be crooned! I wouldn't have minded its use for the paso if it had been sung more closely to the original.

Glad that wasn't just me! Kristi's technically good but I feel nothing watching her. She reminds me of Emma Bunton.

I'm with whoever thought it funny at Edyta being treated like a lady. I nearly fell over when I saw her dress covered her midriff!

I love Shannon and Derek. I'm not usually a fan of smooth Viennesse Waltz but theirs was beautiful.
  • jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My flippin' Sky+ failed on Fri night so I had to wait till yest to watch the repeats :(. I can tell you it was very hard not to come on this thread but I know it would have spoiled it for me; although I was hoping for the result we got I must admit.
    Christie & Mark - Paso
    Costumes were gorgeous, Mark is really coming into his own this season & maturing. I like the music even though it was not traditional & also liked the band's interpretation (I'm an 80's girl too so have the original). Choreograpny was mighty fine & I actually like this pairing & don't find her "cold" as some do. Maybe it's cos I am a great fan of technicality over emotion (obviously both are preferable in dance).
    Priscilla & Louis - V Waltz
    Pretty dress which suited her; she looks like she's lost a bit of abdominal fat too. I'm not keen on the smooth dances as not enough in "hold" for me but thought they did a nice job. Still not warming to this partnership.
    Adam & Julianne - Paso
    She looked beautiful as usual, as soon as he came out on that uni-cycle I cringed, his costume was not amusing imo at all either - he looked ridiculous. I fast forwarded the rest tbh so can't comment. Found his "joke" about Christie offensive.
    Marlee & Fabian - V Waltz
    Thought the colour of her dress did not suit her at all & his white suit looked like something from Saturday Night Fever!
    Not keen on this dance although the judges liked it. Not much hold again. I must say she is very graceful & rhythmical considering.
    Mario & Karina - Paso
    Absolutely hated the music - too contemporary, in fact I thought it did them no favours. Good choreography, lovely outfits, he danced much better. Karina is looking so fabulous, her body is just getting better & better. I wish Edyta would take note; you can look sexy & show your body off in a classy way ;).
    Jason & Edyta - V Waltz
    Lovely outfits again, (thank goodnss Edyta wore something appropriate) music suited the dance & choreography, Jason has lovely lines & posture. His hands are really graceful for a big athletic guy, shame about the stumble.
    Christian & Cheryl - Paso
    Good traditional music , he looked mighty fine with his lovely chest out but she looked like Miss Whiplash :eek:. I liked his shouting & interpretation, (I was watching Bruno's face & he was in heaven ;)). I think Christian has got potential but is running under the radar at the mo. (I hated her plug too - in fact it's put me off her a bit).
    Shannon & Derek - V Waltz
    Absolutely divine! everything was perfect for me, the music, choreography, costumes, chemistry. This was the one that made me nearly cry. Considering Derek could not rehearse most of the week very impressive. Lovely rise & fall & so elegant. There is a lot of sexual chemistry going on there - not sure if it's going to be a "showmance" but if it is they are bloody good actors!
    Marissa & Tony - Paso
    Traditional music, his costume was great (nice chest) but hers was too short again - Why???? They seem to be doing to her what they did to poor Tish at the beginning on SCD :mad:. She was however much better this week.
    Samantha looked a bit thin on the Monday night's show, the silver dress was not really doing her any favours but her hair was lovely. She looked fab in the green ensemble though on the Tues.
    Did not like the kids section found them very "worrying" but I guess Julianne, Derek & Mark were like that once & look how they have turned out - so far so good :cool:.
    Was really mad they chose Adam's effort to show again - I wanted Shannon/Derek. Needless to say I FF'd it.
    Was n't keen on Cheryl Crow either but loved the dancing especially the 2nd number; nice to see some new faces I guess. The lady (sorry can't remember the name) reminded me of Flavia in the way she danced, very sensual & flexible (he was n't bad either).
    As I said previously, so pleased to see Adam ousted but sad Julianne had to go.
    Can't say who I want out next as no one left is dire, obviously there are some that are way out in front dance technique wise but personality is a big part of this show too.