Bt vision major update

looks like a new update
http://bt.com/vision/changes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    This sounds like Marketing speak for we have redesigned the system and got rid of some features that cost us - and have hidden this fact by giving you stuff that "everyone said they wanted".

Do you remember filling in a questionaire?

I wonder what features that I rely on will be deleted? - its bad enough that they have removed RFout from the Black box.
    I would be 'unhappy' if recording of 301, ESPN and Sky Sports is prevented.

Still - if they don't watch it then a PVR with catch-up (or YouView) and an internet TV will do all that is required and we will march off !

I suspect that they are not making enough money from VOD and need to push it harder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This sounds like Marketing speak for we have redesigned the system and got rid of some features that cost us - and have hidden this fact by giving you stuff that "everyone said they wanted".

Do you remember filling in a questionaire?

I wonder what features that I rely on will be deleted? - its bad enough that they have removed RFout from the Black box.
    I would be 'unhappy' if recording of 301, ESPN and Sky Sports is prevented.

Still - if they don't watch it then a PVR with catch-up (or YouView) and an internet TV will do all that is required and we will march off !

I suspect that they are not making enough money from VOD and need to push it harder.

Some of these suggestions have been on the BT Community web page.

I am intrigued why you think BT would stop the recording of 301, ESPN and Sky Sports?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    This sounds like the rumoured move from Microsoft Media Room to something else (Linux based?) is about to happen.

Though the BT answer to the "Why do I lose my recordings" question blames DRM, I think that is a smokescreen. More likely the hard disk is going to be reformatted with a different file system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I agree with drgeoff.Bt are probably doing this to prepare for youview
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very interesting and exciting for BTV users. I agree, I would suppose that this is being done to give BTV the look and feel of YouView.

But the explanation why recordings cannot be carried across the upgrade due to DRM seems a bit unconvincing. :confused:

Still, nice to have something new to talk about. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was curious about the recording issue too. I don't have vision anymore but still have a friend within their tech dept, so I had a word.

She told me that it's mainly because recordings will use an entirely different format on the new software, therefore are incompatible. There are indeed also rights issues, due to a change from mediaroom. These rights to using the format expire once the agreement with Microsoft ends, therefore it's just not possible to keep them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Nice.so this confirms that the Vision+ box will have a new OS?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Anyone know when this kicks in? Or how the communication of the date will take place? I'll be cheesed off to loose all those episodes of Merlin that I haven't caught up with yet.... :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MGF wrote: »
    Anyone know when this kicks in? Or how the communication of the date will take place? I'll be cheesed off to loose all those episodes of Merlin that I haven't caught up with yet.... :-)

It's all in the link the OP posted.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MostynDS wrote: »
    Very interesting and exciting for BTV users. I agree, I would suppose that this is being done to give BTV the look and feel of YouView.

But the explanation why recordings cannot be carried across the upgrade due to DRM seems a bit unconvincing. :confused:

Still, nice to have something new to talk about. :)

Not exciting for people who got a load of recordings and still not watched them.

My PVr have got hours of stuff recorded, if I was on Btvision and they vanished, then I would not be happy.

Never known that happen with a sky+ box unless you cancelled the contract
    Forum Member
    MostynDS wrote: »
    It's all in the link the OP posted.

Cheers, can see it in the link now I am using a full size screen...I guess it something that will happen during the next three months or so.

ta
  • wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was curious about the recording issue too. I don't have vision anymore but still have a friend within their tech dept, so I had a word.

She told me that it's mainly because recordings will use an entirely different format on the new software, therefore are incompatible. There are indeed also rights issues, due to a change from mediaroom. These rights to using the format expire once the agreement with Microsoft ends, therefore it's just not possible to keep them.

Very informative and makes perfect sense. So its goodbye microsoft and hello youview! I wonder if my v1 silver box will be updated?. Also, if you have recordings like me then it seems you'll have plenty of time and numerous warnings before they go. So get watching / archiving.
    Forum Member
    Does anyone think this may impact on why they havent offered a HD Freeview box? I havent cared too much previously about HD, but I get HD Freeview from next Feb, so am having a ponder1

cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MGF wrote: »
    Does anyone think this may impact on why they havent offered a HD Freeview box? I havent cared too much previously about HD, but I get HD Freeview from next Feb, so am having a ponder1

cheers

anyone can see that is the reason why Bt have not gone for a Hd box. No point if they are backing You View. How reliable and how well it doers is another thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    anyone can see that is the reason why Bt have not gone for a Hd box. No point if they are backing You View. How reliable and how well it doers is another thing.

Not true. I still expect a new freeview hd box to accompany the launch of youview by BT. This will be agreat pull to new customers. Existing customers will no doubt have to re-contract or payfor the new box. This will maximise exposure for youview without giving a new box to all and sundry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member

This is very logical and I fully understand why they are doing it this way but they could easily build into the update process a small utility that converts the existing saved recordings to the new format. In the end it's only "bits" that need to be converted.

What I think is that BT have yet again not completely thought it through and are not putting the customer first.

Infinidim :cool:
    Megadodo Publications
    Ursa Minor Beta
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    infinidim wrote: »
    This is very logical and I fully understand why they are doing it this way but they could easily build into the update process a small utility that converts the existing saved recordings to the new format. In the end it's only "bits" that need to be converted.

What I think is that BT have yet again not completely thought it through and are not putting the customer first.

Megadodo Publications
    Ursa Minor Beta

I would rather have the complete new software. If I lose some recordings then so be it!

I think BT have thought this through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    infinidim wrote: »

Megadodo Publications
    Ursa Minor Beta

You misunderstood digital rights and encryption. Blame microsoft not bt.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwwebber wrote: »
    Not true. I still expect a new freeview hd box to accompany the launch of youview by BT. This will be agreat pull to new customers. Existing customers will no doubt have to re-contract or payfor the new box. This will maximise exposure for youview without giving a new box to all and sundry.

Will this update pave the wave for a software update to YouView in 2012?

I appreciate the need to provide an HD YouView box though which I assume will replace the black box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Will this update pave the wave for a software update to YouView in 2012?

I appreciate the need to provide an HD YouView box though which I assume will replace the black box.

Just guesswork at the moment but I hope so for all boxes not just the black ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I have reason to believe that the original silver BT Vision boxes do not have sufficient resources to run the new OS. Time will tell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Silver boxes WILL get the update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiekid76 wrote: »
    Silver boxes WILL get the update.

Source?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    I suspect that a change to open source will save a shed load of licensing money and then allow development in any direction that BT want. Personally I don't expect it to be a move towards YouView as this would be open for competitors on the BT box. They need a USP to keep custom when YouView arrives - but perhaps they will supply their VOD via YouView and move away from box supply - ie BTvision will be a subscription service available via YouView dramatically increasing their reach without up-front costs because the punters will buy the YouView boxes and BT will no longer have to provide them (and powerline) boxes 'free'. In the short term it will still be worthwhile to have BT broadband because of QoS and the exception to the download allocation.

Open Source is less hungry for resources than Micro$haft so I don't see a problem with the silver boxes - they seem to have been swapped out as (I suspect) the new boxes have uprated viewing card facilities to appease $ky. I asked why they were changing my box and was told that it was being done for everyone that has a $ky subscription as "$ky sports will stop working soon on the silver boxes".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwwebber wrote: »

i doubt very much if it will be a great pull to any customers, new or otherwise.

Bt customers did not really rush to get BT Vision, so I doubt they will rush for You View either and surely people are not daft enough to pay Bt for months on end just so they can get a You View box? Oh maybe they are.

You View will fail unless it offers something that is better than what we got now and I don't think it will.

with Bt and Talk Talk backing it, I will be staying well clear