Options

How come Simon is allowed to break the smoking ban?

Playboy NolanPlayboy Nolan Posts: 3,568
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now don't get me wrong, I'm actually strongly against the smoking in enclosed public places ban, but Simon was clearly seen stubbing a cigarette out and blowing out the smoke from his mouth on Britain's Got More Talent.

OK he was in the "Stars" dressing room area but the whole theatre is a public place under the law and also others use the dressing room as well so it's not a totally private Simon only area.

Seems like one rule for the rich whilst the rest of us are forced to comply.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon **** fiend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now don't get me wrong, I'm actually strongly against the smoking in enclosed public places ban, but Simon was clearly seen stubbing a cigarette out and blowing out the smoke from his mouth on Britain's Got More Talent.

OK he was in the "Stars" dressing room area but the whole theatre is a public place under the law and also others use the dressing room as well so it's not a totally private Simon only area.

probably in his contract. don't think he can be without them. at one time i also thought he was on coke as he was sniffing through a whole interview and smoking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how come he tells people off for lousy singing if all he could manage himself would be a croak and a wheeze ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    piper333 wrote: »
    probably in his contract. don't think he can be without them. at one time i also thought he was on coke as he was sniffing through a whole interview and smoking.

Yes I agree, but no contract can contradict actual law. So he can insist all he likes but the law still applies. It's not his on the building's choice or landlords up and down the country would decide to allow smoking in certain rooms. they can't do that. (Unfortunately)
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Throw the book at him I say!!!
  • Options
    hibbychubbshibbychubbs Posts: 486
    Forum Member

i found this article about mel smith & your right. i mean you can't even smoke at football grounds as it's a public place.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Star-under-fire-for-smoking.2799363.jp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    So how come he tells people off for lousy singing if all he could manage himself would be a croak and a wheeze ?
    well he never said he could sing, admits it freely, but he is damn good at picking winners and nurturing talent.
    Yes I agree, but no contract can contradict actual law. So he can insist all he likes but the law still applies. It's not his on the building's choice or landlords up and down the country would decide to allow smoking in certain rooms. they can't do that. (Unfortunately)
    very true. i wonder if the editors of the show will catch heat now. i am sure if it has been noticed, a lot have noticed and there will be questions and complaints.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a case of one rule for the rich, it's simply a case of Simon choosing to ignore the law. He isn't allowed. Had there been one of these ridiculous civil servants that spend their time enforcing this law standing around while he did it, then perhaps you could say that. But he was in the company of people he pays. Nobody was ever going to tell him to put it out.

My favourite story remains Keith Richards being threatened with a court appearance and fine after he smoked on stage at Hampden during a concert.

I remember reading that Simon now runs out the back of the X Factor studio at every break for a smoke. It probably just makes him crankier for the contestants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he is the only smoker i know with teeth that white

then again he probably gets them zoomed all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Beckinsale is also a smoker with famously white teeth. Must be smoker's toothpaste (extra strong) with lots of trips to the hygienist as well. Simon's a right nicotine addict if he has to have a **** at every break.
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, it's probably not only Simon that does it - he's probably just the only one of them who doesn't care who sees him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/uksi_20070765_en_1

There's probably a loophole that involves clause 6 of the Smoking Ban exemptions. Simon would be allowed to smoke perhaps, on camera, but it gets edited out...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    i found this article about mel smith & your right. i mean you can't even smoke at football grounds as it's a public place.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Star-under-fire-for-smoking.2799363.jp

Thats pathetic,think this smoking ban has gone too far,Fair enough no smoking indoors,ut outside !! The smokes gonna waft away so stupid:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people have given up as a result of the ban? Or has it just resulted in a drop in trade in Pubs etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have an act with the Siren Sisters, singers, who sing, "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", with unlit cigarettes on long holders like Audrey Hepburn, for some cigarette chic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    trec123 wrote: »
    I wonder how many people have given up as a result of the ban? Or has it just resulted in a drop in trade in Pubs etc?

Me and hubby smoke,its just stopped us going out as muchand the same goes for other people we know who smoke theres often more people outside some pubs smoking than inside.theres even a new phrase `Smirting` flirting with people whilst both outside having a **** !! but iam definately going to try and stop soon(honestly;))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a non-smoker, and don't go to pubs that much, but if I did, I'd probably be outside most of the night too, otherwise I'd be left standing inside on my own while those I was with popped out for a ciggie!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be cr*p though to have to go outside in the cold and rain to have a ****, because you might catch a cold, and if you smoke, it's harder to get rid of a cold.

Mind you, to smoke inside is no good because it all builds up in the atmosphere; so outside it must be.

Anyway, the government isn't really tackling the problem at source, and regulating the ingredients of a cigarette to minimize risk to bystanders. Amazing, years of technological advancement but nothing is done to the **** to make its delivery more sophisticated. Apparently, there were some patents to do this, but the **** company lawyers stepped in and didn't allow the scientists to do anything because it might affect retrospective liability.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Good for him!

I am a non-smoker. I have never smoked. But I honestly think this latest law change is totally vindictive and OTT and yet another example of the nanny state telling us that we should do what we are told is good for us.

At the last company where I worked there was a place out of doors but under cover where smokers could go to have a cigarette without bothering anybody. When the law changed there was an announcement that apparently this place could no longer be classed as a designated smoking area so they had to go somewhere at the end of the car park, behind a building with no cover at all. I cannot believe this is anything but petty victimization. It does nothing to protect non-smokers it just makes life more uncomfortable for smokers. Frankly I don't think it is any of the government's business to be doing things like that.

And I say it again - I am a non-smoker and a never have been smoker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    It must be cr*p though to have to go outside in the cold and rain to have a ****, because you might catch a cold, and if you smoke, it's harder to get rid of a cold. .

Aaaw, poor old smokers, catching colds. My heart goes out to them, it must be absolutely heartbreaking.

I think the smoking ban is the best thing to happen in years - I can't believe in the 21st century, there are still people who smoke, and think it's OK to do it in public. Since the ban I can have a pleasant night out without spending the following day reeking like an ashtray and having a sore throat.

The smoking ban can't go far enough in my eyes. It's a truly repulsive habit, and has a horrible effect on the people nearby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mooncatt wrote: »
    Thats pathetic,think this smoking ban has gone too far,Fair enough no smoking indoors,ut outside !! The smokes gonna waft away so stupid:D:D

Well you can't smoke in the bus shelters around here.

Now when I say bus shelter, I mean a back sheet of glass and a roof of glass.

Stand within the oblong of the roof and you are breaking the law, move 6 inches one way and you are outside and so not. And the person 6 inches away for you has no grounds to complain.

The other day I was pressed up against the back wall with the wind and rain coming straight under the roof and drowning me and blowing me sideways but you still can't have a **** as it's an enclosed space! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone can have super white teeth with the right dentist.

Simon just chose to ignore the ban I suppose. I expect a lot of people find places where they can smoke. What is anyone going to do to him if he is caught smoking? Fine him or sack him?
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Good for him!

I am a non-smoker. I have never smoked. But I honestly think this latest law change is totally vindictive and OTT and yet another example of the nanny state telling us that we should do what we are told is good for us.

I also don't smoke and agree with everything you said. Go Simon!