Help with simple stereo needed

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
Forum Member
I've installed a Foxsat HDR on my narrowboat connected to an LG monitior / TV via HDMI and all works well. However the sound from the LG's speakers isn't great.
I have a spare Sony SRS-D211 Active speaker system which works on the Line-out of a PC. If I connected this via a Y adapter to the RCA outputs on the back of the HDR would it work? It does have an input for a feed from the Line out of a walkman etc.
If someone could confirm yes / no I would appreciate it as it would save me experimenting and possibly damaging the equipment.
If it won't work any suggestion to get simple but decent quality stereo at minimal cost and small scale (boats aren't very big) would be appreciated.

Thanks
bsw

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than Y adapters I would use some kind of selector switch box....

e.g. http://www.maplin.co.uk/four-way-stereo-audio-switch-box-9328

Automan.
  • brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bsw wrote: »
    I've installed a Foxsat HDR on my narrowboat connected to an LG monitior / TV via HDMI and all works well. However the sound from the LG's speakers isn't great.
    I have a spare Sony SRS-D211 Active speaker system which works on the Line-out of a PC. If I connected this via a Y adapter to the RCA outputs on the back of the HDR would it work? It does have an input for a feed from the Line out of a walkman etc.
    If someone could confirm yes / no I would appreciate it as it would save me experimenting and possibly damaging the equipment.
    If it won't work any suggestion to get simple but decent quality stereo at minimal cost and small scale (boats aren't very big) would be appreciated.

Thanks
    bsw

Yes, it should work. The RCA outputs on your HDR will be at "line level", so will be similar to your PC's line output. You won't be causing any damage.

Chris.
  • Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the tiny Sony CPF-NW001 s-master system with my Humax HD in the bedroom to listen to the radio via the line input. I also use a Y (2 x RCA to 3.5 mm mini stereo jack) cable - works perfectly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I though it ought to work but it's good to get it confirmed.
    Thanks again,

bsw
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,499
    Forum Member
    If the TV has a headphone socket, I would suggest using that instead - the audio from that should be syncronised correctly with the picture, the output from the HDR probably isn't (depending on the processing time the TV takes).

It also has the correct socket for the speakers to connect to.