Your Plans for Saturday 23 November 2013

MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
Forum Member
I'll be at a mate's house along with my other half (poor sod) and a few other fans, with wine and pizza. I'll be wearing my Tom Baker scarf. We thought about the cinema but then thought no, we should watch it as it was supposed to watched. On a MASSIVE HD TV!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I'm going to watch the show.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Mmmm, exciting day. Feed the cats, put the washing on, maybe go for a Starbucks unless we are both completely skint as it's just before payday.

Then at some point during the day I will be retelling my Beloved the story of how my mum put her preschool precocious brat down in front of the television saying that there was a programme that I'd like that she'd read about in the paper that week. (Beloved, despite being the same age, has fewer brain cells and can only really remember it once Jon Pertwee came along - but mainly because he saw a few episodes being filmed in London near where he lived.)

Then, having previously made sure that the glasses are properly powered up, we're going to go for the 3D version (got a compatible TV).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I'm going to watch the show.

That is exactly what Im going to do!

Im hoping to watch it on my large 3D tv but last time I tried doing the watching 3D on a BBC red button the pictures were side by side. My 3D TV doesnt work like this. It works when it is a single, slightly blurred picture. I know some techy types post here. Can you help and confirm how they will broadcast the 3D please? If I cant watch it in 3D at home Im off to the cinema, but I need to know if the 3D is that which I can watch. Cheers. :-)
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be at Memorabilia at the NEC, looking after some of the guests! Quite why Memorabilia has been arranged to clash with DW's bday I will never know, but I'll be there nonetheless.

When is the Gatiss/Bradley movie on? That's far more exciting to me than seeing John Hurt in 3D.
    Forum Member
    That is exactly what Im going to do!

Im hoping to watch it on my large 3D tv but last time I tried doing the watching 3D on a BBC red button the pictures were side by side. My 3D TV doesnt work like this. It works when it is a single, slightly blurred picture. I know some techy types post here. Can you help and confirm how they will broadcast the 3D please? If I cant watch it in 3D at home Im off to the cinema, but I need to know if the 3D is that which I can watch. Cheers. :-)

You'll have a settings mode on your TV (if it were a Sony, I could tell you exactly where to find it, but most brands work the same way). Among these will be a 3D settings menu, which will allow you to change the 3D 'orientation', one of which will be side-by-side. If you select that option, then return to your TV guide screen or selected channel, you will find that without the glasses it looks exactly as you describe (a slightly blurred pic) and ready for viewing.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it is two days before pay day I expect I will be watching Dr Who with a hand ful of cheap crisps :o
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the prompt reply Hestia. Im going to talk 3D again as it is in 3D and it may help others as there is hardly any 3D tv on .

I watched the Queen's Speech in 3D last yr ok n that was on Red Button. Since then the only thing I tried was tennis to see what it looked like- as I dont like tennis. That was when it was side by side. I remember going through the settings and it would not go to a single picture.

I have just looked at my 3D mode whilst on BBC TV and it has 5 things to choose from. 2D to 3D, side by side vertically and side by side horizontally will all work.. the other two are single pic with 1 being a chequerboard in the background and the othrt is a blurred but moving side to side pic. Both of these are not able to be clicked n black n white because of this. They all have 3D Video as title.

Im hoping it was a glitch when I tried watching tennis in 3 D but am now worried The BBC RedButton broadcast of Day of the Doctor will do the same thing and go side by side. Could this happen? Do u think my TV is broken? I could do with knowing so I can make alternative arrangements as I want to watch in 3D as Ive paid for it. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    My new plan for the 23rd Nov is to watch it still, but if my 3D is side by side to switch straight to BBC1HD and watch it in Hi Def, then buy the 3D Bluray as I was going to anyway, and watch it like that coz my 3D Bluray works ok. I am also going to watch any other progs on Doctor Who on the day and is the main reason Im not wanting to go to the cinema as I will miss these. I shall be making a curry and keema fried rice from scratch and will have some cans of Murphys in the fridge.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    My new plan for the 23rd Nov is to watch it still, but if my 3D is side by side to switch straight to BBC1HD and watch it in Hi Def, then buy the 3D Bluray as I was going to anyway, and watch it like that coz my 3D Bluray works ok. I am also going to watch any other progs on Doctor Who on the day and is the main reason Im not wanting to go to the cinema as I will miss these. I shall be making a curry and keema fried rice from scratch and will have some cans of Murphys in the fridge.

With my TV (a Samsung) 3D broadcasts appear side by side but then you have to press the 3D button on the remote to turn 3D on. Then it goes to a blurry picture which will work with the glasses.

You can also set the orientation but that's a seperate option which I've never needed to touch. Sky always broadcasts 3D in side by side mode.

It's possible that in some cases there's an auto-detect which will automatically turn 3D on if it detects it but, otherwise, you need to turn it on manually.

Does anyone know what channel they will be showing the 3D version on? Assuming that they're not just restricting 3D to the cinema and Blu-Ray, of course. That wouldl be disappointing...
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    As far as my plans for the day are concerned, I'm hoping to invite my friend over to watch it with me. He's an old friend from my school days who I only get to see about once a year now but he's the only one I know who is as keen on Doctor Who as I am!
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my sister got her and me tickets to see Queen's of the Stone Age, meaning I won't be able to watch it live, so depending on my energy levels, I'll either be watching it at midnight when I get home, or at 8am the next morning.

What I am sure of is that I'll have to put myself in complete internet/media shutdown until I do watch it!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm moving in with my partner at the start of next month, and we can't even afford a TV licence (despite me having a rather nice television to watch it on if I did). This should prove interesting :o
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm moving in with my partner at the start of next month, and we can't even afford a TV licence (despite me having a rather nice television to watch it on if I did). This should prove interesting :o

You can watch everything on demand without issue as you only need a TV licence for receiving "live" TV.

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Tips for avoidng TVL-BBC harassment.htm

Has some great advice.
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tickets to go see REO Speedwagon that evening here in Las Vegas. Which is really fortunate as with the time difference I will be able to watch the Doctor defeat the evil Daleks early that afternoon before going to the concert. :D I am loving that the BBC is doing this as a simulcast! :D

I get to watch three Doctors go to battle then go see one of my favorite bands ever live in concert from the front row. Life is good that day! :D
  • thorterrthorterr Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    im in the doctor who society in glasgow

so its dinos restaurant at 12am

some drink

cineworld

more drink

the flying duck club

even more drink ...wither there will be sadnesss or happiness ,,depending on the ending of the 50th
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably be at Memorabilia so I don't think I'll be able to watch it live! Don't know how I'll cope?
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    work!

In another country without the BBC! :(
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe reverse a Dalek invasion, fix a Yet problem, stop a dangerous drilling operation. resolve an issue with some homicidal robots, get caught in the middle of a mineral war, play some hunger games, pit some other Daleks against each other, deal with some gas mask zombies, hide out in a school, escape a Pandorica.

You were asking what I'd be doing vicariously, right?
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be in that there London watching two games of Rugby League at Wembley. I'd be annoyed at not seeing Dr Who if I wasn't going to be having such a good drunken time.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    You can watch everything on demand without issue as you only need a TV licence for receiving "live" TV.

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Tips%20for%20avoidng%20TVL-BBC%20harassment.htm

Has some great advice.

Indeed, it's how I watched several episodes of Series 7.
    It's just a shame I won't be able to legally watch the show as and when it's on...I feel like I'll be missing out. :(

I might just tune it in for the episode, or pay for a week's license or something if I can watch An Adventure in Space and Time as well... 50th Anniversaries don't come along often, as it turns out :p
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Booked on to the lads annual racetrip at haydock park on 23rd Nov. Booked on it without realising the date. Unlikely to be able to watch it live, probably watch it drunk late on,forget about it and watch it again on the Sunday. Now the night before I am at a friends 50th birthday party which is doctor who themed. Does anyone know where you can hire Dr who fancy dress stuff in the greater Manchester area? Really want to go as Colin bakers doctor but will probably just put on the leather jacket and go as Christopher ecclestone.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the prompt reply Hestia. Im going to talk 3D again as it is in 3D and it may help others as there is hardly any 3D tv on .

I watched the Queen's Speech in 3D last yr ok n that was on Red Button. Since then the only thing I tried was tennis to see what it looked like- as I dont like tennis. That was when it was side by side. I remember going through the settings and it would not go to a single picture.

I have just looked at my 3D mode whilst on BBC TV and it has 5 things to choose from. 2D to 3D, side by side vertically and side by side horizontally will all work.. the other two are single pic with 1 being a chequerboard in the background and the othrt is a blurred but moving side to side pic. Both of these are not able to be clicked n black n white because of this. They all have 3D Video as title.

Im hoping it was a glitch when I tried watching tennis in 3 D but am now worried The BBC RedButton broadcast of Day of the Doctor will do the same thing and go side by side. Could this happen? Do u think my TV is broken? I could do with knowing so I can make alternative arrangements as I want to watch in 3D as Ive paid for it. Thanks.

Been away doing exciting things (eye drops for poorly cat, whose very much on the mend now, cleaning the kitchen, it's all go before I go back to work tomorrow....). As someone else has said, side-by-side broadcast is the one that's generally used (all BBC programmes I've watched in 3D have been side-by-side). You'll need to test it out on a programme that is being broadcast in 3D to find out if it's working OK as it won't be able to show a 2D programme properly unless you have a 3D simulation mode, so this might be your current problem (and make sure your glasses are powered up as the batteries die off really quickly if you're using battery powered ones). If you have the full Sky package then there is a channel you can find on the HD menu, (Sky 3D?) so you can test it out properly.

I seem to remember that the 3D version is being broadcast via the HD channel, but don't know if it's red button or not (expect so). I also had a go at looking at Wimbledon when it was on 3D and the side-by-side bit worked fine.
    Forum Member
    Booked on to the lads annual racetrip at haydock park on 23rd Nov. Booked on it without realising the date. Unlikely to be able to watch it live, probably watch it drunk late on,forget about it and watch it again on the Sunday. Now the night before I am at a friends 50th birthday party which is doctor who themed. Does anyone know where you can hire Dr who fancy dress stuff in the greater Manchester area? Really want to go as Colin bakers doctor but will probably just put on the leather jacket and go as Christopher ecclestone.

A Google search just popped up an adult Weeping Angels costume for £38.96! No CB coat though (although you can find a pattern to make your own).
    Forum Member
    Tyvm to both of you. BBC must have changed since last Christmas. It was definitely a single pic then. Looks like my revised plan is the way to go. I dont have Sky anymore as I found I wasnt watching it n go to a mates if somethingis on I want to see. But she has a small HDTV with no 3 D so we were going to watch it at mine. We still are and if the 3D wont work Im happy to watch in Hi Def. It might actually be better that way. A lot of films are.. It just seems a shame if I cant watch 3D when Ive paid for it and it is shortly being junked by the BBC anyway. oh well.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At some point during the evening, moan on message boards about how terrible the 50th anniversary special was. :p