A busy day for the news teams just got busier!

191011121315»

Comments

• Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    burneside wrote: »
    Whereas today in the large office where I work, not a single person mentioned Mandela's death. That kinda sums up the interest most people had in the news. The BBC really messed up on this occasion.

Same with me. I've not come across anyone who's interested. His death is not a big issue for the UK.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Never watched it, what was it replaced by?

Perhaps being a repeat was a factor as they are likely to get smaller audiences that the first showing of a programme. Do many watch the programme, I can't remember anyone ever mentioning watching it.

River City on 1st December was replaced by Countryfile, bumped from BBC1 Scotland for a Pointless celeb special, which in turn was bumped by a Reporting Scotland special on Sat.

That was the omnibus repeat of River City that was supposed to be on- yet the BBC2 Scotland CA said 'in a change to the advertised programme,Countryfile', with no mention of the episode being aired later (where it could've aired at 10.30pm after Morecambe and Wise, with Bob Servant at 11.30pm, snooker highlights at midnight and Hebburn pre-empted altogether) or on the iPlayer. So RC fans (I see Lorraine Kelly's a fan of it) were screwed in the storyline if they hadn't seen the 8pm BBC1 airing on Tuesday and needed to catch up on Sunday evening. It's not as if Hebburn has a loyal fanbase like RC in Scotland and at least fans in Scotland can get the show on DVD if they miss episodes- and that episode on Sun 1st was a repeat too.

I'm not a huge fan of River City, but it's been on the air for 11 years.

I see BBC Scotland isn't airing the Mandela funeral highlights on Sun from 6.40pm unlike the rest of the UK, instead airing Landward with Dougie Vipond of Deacon Blue fame, with River City's Sunday repeat airing at 7.05pm while Hebburn's Sunday repeat is banished to 12.25am.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    Well quite - financial gain would mean they were commercially orientated and had to think about not pissing off their viewers.

As such they didn't think too much about the viewers and instead pursued a self-indulgent coverage of Mandela's death. I hope that's a clearer explanation.
    It makes your opinion clearer but we know your opinion on the BBC already so there was hardly much point really :D

The BBC don't do anything simply as 'self-indulgence'.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like many individuals who suck up to the "saint of the moment", the BBC were just out to aggrandise the BBC by association.

If Mandela was publicly tainted by something or other the BBC would quickly drop him as mascot, finding someone else to fawn over.

Cynical? moi?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    River City on 1st December was replaced by Countryfile, bumped from BBC1 Scotland for a Pointless celeb special, which in turn was bumped by a Reporting Scotland special on Sat.

That was the omnibus repeat of River City that was supposed to be on- yet the BBC2 Scotland CA said 'in a change to the advertised programme,Countryfile', with no mention of the episode being aired later (where it could've aired at 10.30pm after Morecambe and Wise, with Bob Servant at 11.30pm, snooker highlights at midnight and Hebburn pre-empted altogether) or on the iPlayer. So RC fans (I see Lorraine Kelly's a fan of it) were screwed in the storyline if they hadn't seen the 8pm BBC1 airing on Tuesday and needed to catch up on Sunday evening. It's not as if Hebburn has a loyal fanbase like RC in Scotland and at least fans in Scotland can get the show on DVD if they miss episodes- and that episode on Sun 1st was a repeat too.

I see BBC Scotland isn't airing the Mandela funeral highlights on Sun from 6.40pm unlike the rest of the UK, instead airing Landward with Dougie Vipond of Deacon Blue fame, with River City's Sunday repeat airing at 7.05pm while Hebburn's Sunday repeat is banished to 12.25am.

I haven't seen any viewing figures broken down by region so no idea of relative number of viewers for the various programmes in Scotland.

There is still plenty of time for BBC Scotland to decide they want the funeral highlights, they often lag a bit behind network programme changed or at leats publishing them.
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Did anybody see Francois Pienaar's interview for Hardtalk? Closest I've come to crying in a long long time when he starts talking about when Mandela came into the dressing room at the 1995 WC final.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC don't do anything simply as 'self-indulgence'.
    Oh I don't know. "Imagine" is Yentob's playground and then you have Nick Higham's "Meet the author" on BBC News (or as most viewers would ask: "Who the **** is that?").
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anybody see Francois Pienaar's interview for Hardtalk? Closest I've come to crying in a long long time when he starts talking about when Mandela came into the dressing room at the 1995 WC final.

I seem to recall it was reported at the time that Mandela knocked on the dressing room door and when he saw him Pienaar started crying then.It looked like they stopped the Hardtalk recording at that point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    The funny thing is that the news teams are not reporting on anything. Nelson Mandela has died...the end, next on BBC One...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funny thing is that the news teams are not reporting on anything. Nelson Mandela has died...the end, next on BBC One...

Very true, but President Kennedy died in 1963 and people are still writing books and making TV documentaries about him (as indeed they are about Hitler who died in 1945).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Very true, but President Kennedy died in 1963 and people are still writing books and making TV documentaries about him (as indeed they are about Hitler who died in 1945).

But he was assassinated, are you suggesting that Mandela's death was not old age and natural causes?
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Like many individuals who suck up to the "saint of the moment", the BBC were just out to aggrandise the BBC by association.

If Mandela was publicly tainted by something or other the BBC would quickly drop him as mascot, finding someone else to fawn over.

Cynical? moi?
    Not the word I would use; but then I'd be banned :( How about "complete nonsense as usual" instead?
    solenoid wrote: »
    Oh I don't know.
    You might not; but it's a safe bet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen any viewing figures broken down by region so no idea of relative number of viewers for the various programmes in Scotland.

There is still plenty of time for BBC Scotland to decide they want the funeral highlights, they often lag a bit behind network programme changed or at leats publishing them.

They could keep the schedule they have, be a bit more spiteful and air the highlights of Mandela post midnight- but that means upsetting the Our Friends in the North woman by dropping her show or airing it at post 1am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As I suspected earlier, BBC Scotland have now dropped their local programmes for the 'highlights' of the funeral, it was inevitable that they would do so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I suspected earlier, BBC Scotland have now dropped their local programmes for the 'highlights' of the funeral, it was inevitable that they would do so.

Or maybe the plan was to air the local programmes as normal then air Mandela at 12.30am (later than the UK), but it would've meant no Hebburn.

So the 11-year-old loyal fans of River City lose again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe the plan was to air the local programmes as normal then air Mandela at 12.30am (later than the UK), but it would've meant no Hebburn.

So the 11-year-old loyal fans of River City lose again.

I think it just takes time to work out, BBC network have been making their plans as details of arrangements were received. Glasgow could not change their schedule until they knew what network was doing. But it was fairly certain they would do the same coverage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the BBC web site listings BBC2 Scotland is showing the funeral highlights at the same time as the rest of the network tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    According to the BBC web site listings BBC2 Scotland is showing the funeral highlights at the same time as the rest of the network tomorrow.

I pointed that out in another thread after someone was sure they would carry and show their soap opera, I think it just takes BBC Glasgow time to catch up with everyone else.