Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I've got the Xue Long up too......but cannot locate HMAS Success. :confused:

Either way it looks like they will be picking the bits up by now.

HMAS Success being naval is probably just not reporting in the same way as a civilian research vessel, it's never appeared on the tracking sites. The only info I've had on HMAS Success has been from media websites.
    Xue Long is yes.......but where is the Success in relation to Xue Long? :confused:

It's about 200-300 miles further west and a bit south.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Yes, near Cranfield Airport.

Good stuff. So what do all your air accident investigation pals think happened?
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    HMAS Success being naval is probably just not reporting in the same way as a civilian research vessel, it's never appeared on the tracking sites. The only info I've had on HMAS Success has been from media websites.
    Ah right.....that might explain why i'm not picking it up. It's gone 'stealth'!
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Yeah I doubt this happened. He would have had 7-8 hours to think this over. He could have ditched straight away.

My bet is they were all knocked out. It has to be. It looks as if after the time the plane went do-lally and made course corrections, it then went straight, and stayed straight south.

Agreed, have there been cases where it's considered that the pilot committed suicide but that the plane flew for an extended period of time?
    They wouldn't IMO have announced this unless they had a photo of identifiable wreckage or life rafts. I think the Inmarsat data analysis has been corroborated.

But they won't announce the latter until it's been seen by a ship and recovered.

Will the conspiracy theorists please drop it for a while. Spare us.. >:(

I agree but I do have to say that this thread has been able to stay relatively conspiracy theory free thankfully
    Stiggles wrote: »
    It doesn't sound suspicious at all.

They know the plane has gone down but cant tell how UNTIL the flight recorders are found. No one can possibly know that.

They can only tell relatives what they know. Demanding anything isn't going to do a thing.

I agree 100% with this!
    Thanks.

I must say I find that a little surprising. However, it would appear to knock that theory on the head.

If more is known than is in the public domain then - as others have said - it's only right that the relatives are informed first.

I had questions too about the Iranian guys. Once the reasons for flying such a circuitous route were explained, it did make more sense to me. I guess it just boggles my mind that post 9/11, flying on stolen passports is still a common occurrence & happens they estimate on a daily basis around the world.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xue Long is yes.......but where is the Success in relation to Xue Long? :confused:

That's what I always thought, in the same way you can never find military planes on the flight tracker one.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had questions too about the Iranian guys. Once the reasons for flying such a circuitous route were explained, it did make more sense to me. I guess it just boggles my mind that post 9/11, flying on stolen passports is still a common occurrence & happens they estimate on a daily basis around the world.

Not necessarily. When my Japanese passport "went on a walkabout" while I was in Macao, I was told by a nice guy at Japan's embassy that for as long as there's bureaucracy, the black market for passports exists. That's to say, it existed before WWI and will continue to exist after 9/11.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just at work but have just seen that text messages have been sent to the families by the airlines saying that the plane went down in the indian ocean. I'm confused...has the plane been found then? Have they found debris that has been confirmed to be from the plane?
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trumpet101 wrote: »
    Is it me or is a text message a bit of an odd way to deliver this kind of news? I suppose it makes sense as there are a lot of relatives and it's a quick way of releasing the same information to everyone who needs it. Just seems a bit cold!

It does feel bit cold hearted and odd way to do it. I've been following this and somehow feels truly heartbreaking and so upsetting now they've found it :( All those poor families and friends who have all lost a loved one (or loved ones) :cry:
  • the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    My thoughts are with the families of all those on board. They've suffered immensely over these last two weeks and the news just breaking now must be especially devastating. I hope they get all the support in the world.
  • ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel sad for the families affected and for MAS, if it's the plane all hope is lost, at least with no plane there is still hope, however thin.
    I hope the media remember after this is all over to report on how beautiful Malaysia is, reading some of the posts her that spit at the Malaysians way of handling things is a bit nauseating. At least they aren't over the top like we are in the UK or crass like the americans.
    Sometimes gathering facts is more important than leaking information to the press.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just at work but have just seen that text messages have been sent to the families by the airlines saying that the plane went down in the indian ocean. I'm confused...has the plane been found then? Have they found debris that has been confirmed to be from the plane?

Official report: It's been lost in the sea and no-one survived.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    During this search it was said on some programme, Newsnight i think, where there are something in the region of 30 million stolen Passports. :o

And one of those is mine too. A brand new biometric one which insurance does not cover you for so had to fork out another £77 when i eventually got back into UK. And getting another proved not to be as easy as you'd think either!
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, it will be interesting to find out how they worked it all out. All electromagnetic waves are subject to doppler effect.

Changes in the transmission polarization is another possibility.

There's also the possibility that as the transmitter produces it's stream of digital pulses the later pulses will be sent from a different distance from the first because of the earths rotation. Whichever way it is the variation will be utterly minute given the speed of light. However they use clocks of monumental precision which can detect this.

They should also be able to plot precisely the course of the plane, perhaps we'll see this soon.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Good stuff. So what do all your air accident investigation pals think happened?
    You'll have to forgive my previous post. I think I rather rushed out a headstrong heat of the moment posting in reaction to suddenly hearing that news without absorbing the facts entirely correctly. That's how big this story has become. It demands almost immediate answers, and suspicions abound.

Nobody I am aware of believes the captain of the airliner is at fault in terms of a deliberate malicious act. I personally am inclined towards the hypoxia explanation, having seen the Portillo programme and how easy it comes on leaving individuals helpless. It could also explain seemingly bizarre behaviour such as turning off the transponders and tracking ability due to the effects on the decision making process, before finally all on board passed out, and finally away. All on board must surely have been dead long before the plane hit the ocean. They would not have suffered hopefully.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel sad for the families affected and for MAS, if it's the plane all hope is lost, at least with no plane there is still hope, however thin.
    I hope the media remember after this is all over to report on how beautiful Malaysia is, reading some of the posts her that spit at the Malaysians way of handling things is a bit nauseating. At least they aren't over the top like we are in the UK or crass like the americans.
    Sometimes gathering facts is more important than leaking information to the press.

I think there have only been 1 or 2 people that have criticised the Malaysians for how they've handled this investigation. I think you'll find that far more people have agreed that they have been doing their absolute best in an awful situation. I personally feel they've done remarkably well.
  • luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
    Is there anyone here think there is any chance of recovering any bodies from Indian/Southern Ocean.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    luckylegs wrote: »
    Is there anyone here think there is any chance of recovering any bodies from Indian/Southern Ocean.

Sadly no, all news reports are stating there were no survivors :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I always thought, in the same way you can never find military planes on the flight tracker one.
    LOL where i live you don't need flight tracker for military.....just prepare for a heart 'do' as some military jet goes screaming past as i live under a military flight training corridor. Even had lumbering C130's passing by on the odd occasion but they aren't so bad.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still so confused. All these confirmations, yet have they pulled anything out of the water? :confused:
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    II'm confused...has the plane been found then? Have they found debris that has been confirmed to be from the plane?

No it is the most obvious conclusion and probably what happened however sections of the media seem to be treating it as a 100% certain fact now. It's probably only going to be "beyond doubt" for the relatives when the wreckage is found.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there have only been 1 or 2 people that have criticised the Malaysians for how they've handled this investigation. I think you'll find that far more people have agreed that they have been doing their absolute best in an awful situation. I personally feel they've done remarkably well.

Thank you for highlighting this. I was feeling frustrated as some of the posts I read today. I agree they have done their best.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

Dead bodies do you mean?
    Depends how intact the plane is I guess
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    Sadly no, all news reports are stating there were no survivors :(

I think the poster mean dead bodies rather than alive, Or that is how i read it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If this was a case of hypoxia then I imagine there will be a great many of them who will have succumbed without realising. How many air passengers sit with their seatbelts on after the light goes out?

I truly hope their bodies are found. If the passengers were aware of a problem, they may have strapped themselves back in.

I believe the body of the plane will be found, I don't think this investigation will finish until they find every bit of that plane that is able to be found. I think this tragedy has hit all these countries very hard emotionally & they will want to give the families complete closure
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I'm still so confused. All these confirmations, yet have they pulled anything out of the water? :confused:

Not as far as I have heard.
This discussion has been closed.