The Re-Watching Old Eurovision Contests Thread

Comments

• TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many people are going to be watching the big brother final tonight? I could host 73 tomorrow instead. Its a friday so we dont need to worry about finishing late.
  • BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerryP wrote: »
    How many people are going to be watching the big brother final tonight? I could host 73 tomorrow instead. Its a friday so we dont need to worry about finishing late.

I can't really watch tonight as I have brought work home to do :( Tomorrow would be okay with me but I guess it is a majority decision?
  • ollymurslover13ollymurslover13 Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can watch on Friday night :) Haven't seen 73 or 74, but I like both winners so I'd watch either
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    I'll be enduring BB so maybe tomorrow would be more ideal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is tonight still happening??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, tonight is still happening, aiming to get started around 8pm after some house stuff is done. It may be a bit of a late finish but it is a friday night, so I'm sure if you ask nicely mum and dad will let you all stay up late :D.

Going to be doing 1973 as that seemed to be the popular choice (though we must do 1974 at some points, would be a bit wrong to watch old contests and not watch the contest that ABBA won).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Link for the 1973 contest is below, come on join us :)

https://www.watch2gether.com/rooms/n0hor022kr4wvrtu
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Does anyone fancy watching a contest tomorrow night? It's been a couple of weeks since the the last one.
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that sounds good :)

Did 1973 go ahead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not actually sure what happened with the 1973 night, but it doesn't look like it did as there was no scorewizz up. I was thinking about doing a recent contest. The ones I was considering were 2009 (Alexander's domination), 2012 (Loreen vs Russian Grannies) or 2015 (Mans vs. Polina vs. Il Volo). I know that obviously 2015's contest was only 8 weeks ago, but it could be interesting to see if opinions have changed so quickly. Completely up to everyone else though. If anyone else wants to watch a different show that I haven't suggested, then they could offer to host it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually don't mind hosting any show from 2004-2015 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the end 1973 didn't happen as only me and Lisa were watching and I needed to save my internet data.

On Thursday we are getting BT internet so have unlimited data so won't have that to worry about.

I am working tomorrow, but then have the next few Wednesdays off, so am happy to host again next Wednesday, can do 1973 or another year if anyone wants to watch something else. Please do make suggestions. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we are going to do a modern one 2009 would probably get my vote, but would rather not tomorrow as I am working so won't be able to watch :D
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1973 next Wednesday sounds good :)

And for modern ones, I would like 2008 or 2009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite hard to find a 2009 contest that doesn't mute the Albanian entry on Youtube, but I shall try my best. I was thinking about hosting it on Friday now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friday would be good for me. That muting of the Albanian entry is very annoying. I am not really sure why it does it either, i know its copyright but whats so special about that song.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    It's quite hard to find a 2009 contest that doesn't mute the Albanian entry on Youtube, but I shall try my best. I was thinking about hosting it on Friday now

At worst you could just make a mental note of the time stamp and then swap to a working individual video of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've faced this problem with the 2009 show in the past. Normally you can't watch Bosnia, Denmark or Albania but this time it's just the Albanian song. Have to say, it still makes me laugh when I watch the performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hey, do you have any plans on doing this re-watch?

I was thinking if nobody had any plans I could do one this week (probably Wednesday). Any choices on year? We could do 1973 like I planned on doing the other week, I still have '88 on my list of ones to do and of course '91 needs to be done sometime soon. :)
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone doing this any more?
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have just come into this section as i was looking to put a thread up based on this,& saw this.it does sound interesting what is being planned here,however for me ,i don't use this website regularly only when i need to get somthing off my chest or some advice or somthing of interest needs to be replyed to,so taking part in this for me might be hit & miss? but i was going to put this up so i'll add it here.i have been watching a few very old ep of this yearly show & spotted a trend for us here.it appears we did very well with ESC up til around 1981 ,then a short break from winning til 1997 then sadly it alll went down hill from there.even the score board looked reasonably healthy for a time,but compare it to todays contest its gone badly wrong,question is WHY? my one guess is POLITICS got in the way? the countrys in europe getting broken up ,ie yugoslavia & so forth.question is now ,when will it all go right again? or will it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, was thinking about when we used to watch these through last summer and was thinking we should start it up again, on nights were these no national selections or anything. I was think maybe we could watch one of the last few contests as most of the ones we watched were from 90s or earlier. Could do this friday. Who's up for it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all, was thinking about when we used to watch these through last summer and was thinking we should start it up again, on nights were these no national selections or anything. I was think maybe we could watch one of the last few contests as most of the ones we watched were from 90s or earlier. Could do this friday. Who's up for it?

Hi, thanks for resurrecting the thread. It ended up dying last year sadly, I think it would be great to start it up again as we are back in Eurovision mode, certainly think filing the time between the end of NFs and Eurovision would be great for watching old editions.

I am doing night shifts Fri, Sat, Sun, so I won't be around this weekend, but it sounds a solid idea, hopefully as more people are around during the pre-ESC time we can get more viewers.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking we could watch something from the past 10 years, so I've made a little poll. Rank the past 10 contests from 10 (best) to 1 (worst). The most popular choice by average will win and that'll be watched.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PL6NJHR
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poll will close midday on Friday, and depending on who's around, we could watch on friday starting from 6.