Options

The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness this thread is gathering momentum..... new pictures, old friends and lots of humour. :)

This is why I love this place. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Switching to Kindle cos this laptop is being kicked into touch and it's jolly lucky at the moment it's not being kicked out the house. >:(

Back in a bit. x
  • Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan_Carter wrote: »
    Thats a bit strange...any comments that went along with the pics?

No comments yet but I think he will come round now that he has shown his face.
    nyannie wrote: »
    You must let us know the book's publication details.

Will do about the Xmas lunch.

At the moment I am re-setting everything. Not only have we had flooding, but we've had 5 power cuts. Luckily I always keep candles and flashlights handy as well as battery radios. Really worry about my appliances.

O/H has come home and is testing our generator!

Ark building continues in earnest. . .

I am not yet thinking that far.I am gathering information and contacts along the way.I have had beta readers along the way and re writing which most people dont do.My next stage will be manuscript development which I have to pay for.I have written along these lines before as part of my job nationally and it went down well and made money for someone else,so I am optimistic.I cant even get a copy of my own booklets
  • Options
    georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    I love handbags too. Saw a lovely one but I wasn't prepared to spend £115.

Tomorrow I am having to stay in most of the day to receive a - CHICKEN! Yup, a chicken. Not any old chicken mind you but a Bresse (French) Chicken. O/H wanted one. I told him we could go to the local Cote Brasserie and have some, but no, he spent a lot of money on this stupid chicken and I have to wait in for it!!!! I really hope we don't get one with innards and feathers. . .

Lol Well out of the two deliveries ....... i think Augusta wins hands down :blush:
    she getting a new handbag...... you're getting a fancy french chicken ...... that might still have its bits and bobs :o
    Which could be needed if you are making a gravy..... but i wouldn't bother....... yuck...... bisto is good for me :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Switching to Kindle cos this laptop is being kicked into touch and it's jolly lucky at the moment it's not being kicked out the house. >:(

Back in a bit. x

Lena ...... last seen...... practising her rugby moves....... drop kicking computers......... could be a England call up next :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Popped back in....... just to see if the chicken had landed :D
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Popped back in....... just to see if the chicken had landed :D

The chicken HAS landed - in a box three times the size of the stupid chicken - with a kg of those awful styrofoam chips, four layers of bubble wrap, four layers of brown paper - and almost 5 meters of packing tape. No ice, nothing!

It is currently in the fridge in its last layer of brown paper and tape and bubble wrap. It feels 'oven ready' but can't tell.

I too think augusta got the better delivery.

Off now to make some aubergine parmigano. I've gone off chicken!
  • Options
    GiddykipperGiddykipper Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Glad to hear that the chicken managed to find the right roost Nyannie - now what are you going to do with it - or is has the O/H got the responsibility?

Think John should issue an official birthday picture today to mark the milestone of his big :o three-oh. I hated that birthday - in fact I stayed 29 for years. :blush: Er - I'm 28 now...:confused:
    Anyway, hope he's having a great day. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glad to hear that the chicken managed to find the right roost Nyannie - now what are you going to do with it - or is has the O/H got the responsibility?

Think John should issue an official birthday picture today to mark the milestone of his big :o three-oh. I hated that birthday - in fact I stayed 29 for years. :blush: Er - I'm 28 now...:confused:
    Anyway, hope he's having a great day. :D

The chicken saga continues Giddy.

Thank goodness no giblets, wings on a separate little box. To be honest it looks like every other chicken although it is a little yellower.

OH has claimed it - he is now brining it and tomorrow we will have the Heston method of cooking it - which takes about 5 hours. First it sits in the oven at low temperature (so oven is out of bounds). Then it cools and is cooked at high temperature.

To me it doesn't smell, look or taste any better than chicken simply roasted with water and veg at the bottom of the tray. However, you cannot tell OH ANYTHING!!!!

I agree with you about an official birthday photo of him. You may be 28 Giddy, but I am sticking at 21!!!:D
  • Options
    augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    and I am back....
    thanks for all the john news and sightings.....

my computer decided to get a major headache and has spent the weekend being entirely rebuilt, from the hard drive upwards. With files transferred across etc

what a strange weekend, without my little laptop!

and its been pouring with rain...did anyone do anything exciting this weekend?
  • Options
    Dan_CarterDan_Carter Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    and I am back....

my computer decided to get a major headache and has spent the weekend being entirely rebuilt, from the hard drive upwards. With files transferred across etc

Sightings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    and I am back....

Hey nice to have you back and computer sorted :D

I think Lena has also been having computer problems to , she was last seen drop kicking hers.

It was nice having the three day weekend, my sons girlfriend came to stay. We had to do loads of shopping with son, he needed some new suits and shirts, as he start
    his new job today. :D

shame the weather wasn't nicer , it makes you feel like curling up and staying in :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The chicken saga continues Giddy.

Thank goodness no giblets, wings on a separate little box. To be honest it looks like every other chicken although it is a little yellower.

OH has claimed it - he is now brining it and tomorrow we will have the Heston method of cooking it - which takes about 5 hours. First it sits in the oven at low temperature (so oven is out of bounds). Then it cools and is cooked at high temperature.

To me it doesn't smell, look or taste any better than chicken simply roasted with water and veg at the bottom of the tray. However, you cannot tell OH ANYTHING!!!!

I agree with you about an official birthday photo of him. You may be 28 Giddy, but I am sticking at 21!!!:D

The giblet thing must of been a huge relief........ yuck nasty things

5 hours to cook a chicken Nyannie ......... just wow :o and it didn't taste any better than a normal one..... thats a bit disappointing :(
    We have a normal run of the mill free ranged one this weekend, and i wondered about yours at the time :D

yep i missed our leaders ( John James Birthday :p ) So a happy belated one :D

hope you had a good weekend :D

P.s Giddy and Nyannie ............... forever 21 to ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all!

Well, OH admitted chicken wasn't any better than the corn fed chicken we get in the supermarket!! Hooray!

Cannot believe it is September already. OH has one of our windows out and we have plastic! He has to make a piece to fit! Water evidently got into one tiny hole in the wood.

Quiet week.

Good to see you back augusta. I really sympathize with your computer problems.

Phone ringing - I'll be back. . .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all!

Well, OH admitted chicken wasn't any better than the corn fed chicken we get in the supermarket!! Hooray!

Cannot believe it is September already. OH has one of our windows out and we have plastic! He has to make a piece to fit! Water evidently got into one tiny hole in the wood.

Quiet week.

Good to see you back augusta. I really sympathize with your computer problems.

Phone ringing - I'll be back. . .

Lol long phone call Nyannie :D

Morning all
    I,m of to the seaside and visiting Mum and Dad
    hope the weather stays sunny not a bad start this morning

i know September already where has this year gone , went out for lunch the other day and Christmas plans came up :o

well i better get off will take me just over a hour to get to Mums
    speak soon Jx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol long phone call Nyannie :D

Morning all
    I,m of to the seaside and visiting Mum and Dad
    hope the weather stays sunny not a bad start this morning

i know September already where has this year gone , went out for lunch the other day and Christmas plans came up :o

well i better get off will take me just over a hour to get to Mums
    speak soon Jx

Have a lovely time at your parents' georgy and hope you get pampered.

Just wanted to tell you that the Heston method of roasting chicken is ridiculous. Not only does it take 2 days - what family can wait 2 days for a roast chicken - but his brinning is wrong. The chicken was so salty, OH couldn't eat it. I have boycotted any chicken cooked the Heston method. I really can't see any merit in cooking it his way.

Just signed up for a free online course on ancient Middle Eastern civilizations. Luckily no homework but you have to commit to 3 hours a week.

No news of John I see. Don't know who most of the 'celebs' on CBB are so not bothering watching it. Can't wait until Nashville tonight.

Have a lovely evening everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have a lovely time at your parents' georgy and hope you get pampered.

Just wanted to tell you that the Heston method of roasting chicken is ridiculous. Not only does it take 2 days - what family can wait 2 days for a roast chicken - but his brinning is wrong. The chicken was so salty, OH couldn't eat it. I have boycotted any chicken cooked the Heston method. I really can't see any merit in cooking it his way.

Just signed up for a free online course on ancient Middle Eastern civilizations. Luckily no homework but you have to commit to 3 hours a week.

No news of John I see. Don't know who most of the 'celebs' on CBB are so not bothering watching it. Can't wait until Nashville tonight.

Have a lovely evening everyone.

What a stupid way to cook a Chicken , Nyannie...... i shall stay with 170 for 2 hours for a large chicken( uncovered of course) :D I don,t think Heston has any idea on chickens but he does on the kettle front..... love my Heston sage smart kettle..... best i've had :D lol

had a lovely day at Mums took a long walk on the West Wittering Beach, it beautiful , lovely yellow sand and watched people sailing, didn't see any seal though, if you're lucky you can :D

not watching Cbb either, haven't really had the time, and of course it clashes with a lot of my favourite shows, enjoying The great british bake off again this year.

well i better get on....... need to prepare tea , have a lovely evening Jx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it does seem quite a long time to cook a chicken, shame it didn't taste good

I started to watch CBB, its a strange mix. My daughters are fascinated by MTVs teen mom series, so its strange to see Farrah on CBB. as I do recognise her, she is somewhat a larger than life character.

Im not sure about dividing the house into the americans vs the Brits, that's an odd thing to do, but its obviously for viewers.

I agree where has the year gone? Or even where has the time gone, it just dashes past.

We are going to the theatre this weekend, only a local one to see a performance of Sweet charity, I loved the film
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all.

Just decided what to have for our delivery of curry this week. What excitement!!!!

Went to a very interesting lecture on the Greek Financial crisis. Greece never should have joined the Euro - nor should Spain, Italy or Portugal - currency wasn't on a parity with the Franc or Deutschmark.

O/H busy doing the window and I've had to change from summer quilts to duvets - it was 4 degrees last night.

More blood tests and blood pressure monitoring after visit to GP - and I'm on medication to help prevent the optical migraines. Getting old is NO FUN!!!!!!! And it is cramping my style!!!!

Haven't watched CBB - never heard of most of them and Resistance (on More4) is on tonight!!! Then Last Leg. Love Friday nights.

Have a lovely evening - and augusta - enjoy the theatre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the theatre was brilliant, I love the story of Sweet charity, and the music and the dancing and the acting....!!!

I love the last leg as well, so so funny. shame it was the last episode of the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning, hope you're all well :) unlike my laptop which is very sick. :(

Not just kicked into touch georgy (the only rugby terminology I know) :D but sitting waiting for the doc (techie son) to strip it down and start again. There's even talk of a new drive. :confused:

Have we contracted some kind of computer disease in our happy little home?
    First nyannie, then augusta now me.......and poor georgy with her internet woes......it's a conspiracy!! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.

Just decided what to have for our delivery of curry this week. What excitement!!!!

Went to a very interesting lecture on the Greek Financial crisis. Greece never should have joined the Euro - nor should Spain, Italy or Portugal - currency wasn't on a parity with the Franc or Deutschmark.

O/H busy doing the window and I've had to change from summer quilts to duvets - it was 4 degrees last night.

More blood tests and blood pressure monitoring after visit to GP - and I'm on medication to help prevent the optical migraines. Getting old is NO FUN!!!!!!! And it is cramping my style!!!!

Haven't watched CBB - never heard of most of them and Resistance (on More4) is on tonight!!! Then Last Leg. Love Friday nights.

One size definitely does not fit all. Just grateful we were never stupid enough to join the single currency. My cousin lives in Eire and when they joined the Euro prices rocketed overnight. He reckons worse thing they ever did. At our family reunion in the summer, his wife was lamenting the price they were having to pay to import goods for the company she works for. At the time the pound/euro exchange rate was £1.43, which was adding almost thirty percent to their prices.

It's been quite a shock to go from mild to what feels like freezing overnight. :o. Had to put the heating on over the weekend to take the chill off the house. Now they reckon we're going to have a mini heatwave this week......I'll believe it when I see it. ;-)

Another cloudless sky, that's two days in a row......yipee. :D

Off to put the washing out, have a good day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evening all

It has been a pretty lovely day here too Lena.

I think it IS a conspiracy about our computers. A friend has gotten a virus in her Apple and can't get it fixed so she is having to buy a new laptop!

Just been invited to a birthday party in France in December. Needless to say I have had to send our regrets. December is such an expensive month for us.

I've just ordered another cartridge for our printer. My online course starts at the end of September and I want to be prepared.

Augusta, I've just ordered theatre tickets. Up in the Gods, but I am NOT going to be spending £100 for a theatre seat.

Anyone see Lady Chatterley's Lover last night? I was disappointed.

Do you think we will get a Christmas greeting from John?

Off to make Mary Berry's kedgeree.

Have a good weekend everyone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evening all

Hope all had a great weekend,
    mine was busy, did sneak some cricket , rugby and football watching in :D

the cricket was annoying cough cough aussie cheating unfair play ...... annoyed >:(
    i think we would of lost anyway ...... but not amused by Smith new oz captain >:(

the rugby and footie good results in both :D

Dads birthday this week and a visit to the dentist so a mixed bag :D

off to see what you have all been up to :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all.

i don,t think anything could cramp your style Nyannie :blush:
    hope your result turn out well :D